Science Forums

Coffee

Starbucks is my new addiction. I drop at least $20 on them every week. My new favorite thing to order is a hot venti triple cafe mocha. :rockon:

I find it hard to believe that consumer reports calls McDonalds' coffee better, because in my opinion, it isn't.

One other thing you have to consider is that McDonalds offers 2 brews: Regular, and decaff.

Starbucks generally has over 20 different brews of JUST coffee, that emcompass many coffee-growing regions of the world, not to mention all the iced drinks, lattes, cappuccinos, teas, etc.

There really is no comparison.

...yummmy.

I've temporarily switched from my usual brew to a Brazilian one for a change of taste. The Melitta Extra Forte I've been brewing for the last two days is also good coffee, IMO. It's smooth and full of flavor, although a bit more bitter than the Colombian one I usually drink. A bit hard to tell between the two by taste alone. As for their smells, before and after brewing, they're markedly different. Colombian coffee has a nice rich aroma. Brazilian coffee smells a bit more like cocoa/chocolate.

Has anyone else tried it or other Brazilian coffees and would like to share their thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Coffee 'no boost in the morning'

Coffee

That morning cuppa may not actually help get you going

That morning latte or espresso may not be the pick-me-up people think it is, a study has revealed.

University of Bristol researchers say the caffeine eases withdrawal symptoms which build up overnight, but does not make people more alert than normal.

The work, presented to the British Nutrition Foundation conference, showed only people who have avoided coffee for a while will get a buzz from caffeine.

But the British Coffee Association said regular drinkers did feel more alert.

That alertness you feel is you getting back to normal

Professor Peter Rogers, Bristol University

Those who swear by their morning caffeine fix say it wakes them up, and if they missed out they would feel sluggish and unable to get on with their day.

But the Bristol researchers, who carried out a review of previous studies into the effects of caffeine, say all the drink does is counteract the mild caffeine withdrawal symptoms people are experiencing because they have gone without the stimulant overnight.

And those who drink a caffeinated drink first thing are no more alert than those who never consume one.

BBC NEWS | Health | Coffee 'no boost in the morning'

The BBC is EVIL!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Morning Jolt Of Caffeine Might Mask Serious Sleep Problems

ScienceDaily (Dec. 1, 2007) — With the holiday season’s hustle and bustle in full swing, most of us will race to our favorite coffee shop to get that caffeine boost to make it through the day. However, that daily jolt that we crave might be the reason we need the caffeine in the first place.

Morning Jolt Of Caffeine Might Mask Serious Sleep Problems

I thought some migrains were caused by a dilation of blood vessels others by a constriction of blood vessels.

Caffein tablets are prescribed for migrain.

Migraine Headaches: How Caffeine Can Make it Worse

The effects of caffeine on a headache are complex. Despite the advances in medical science, many professionals in the field disagree about caffeine.

Caffeine: Good or Bad for Migraines?

Medications meant to treat headache and pain have had caffeine as one of the main ingredients for years. According to several studies, it has been found that when caffeine is combined with both nonprescription and prescription components, it is effective and safe as a treatment against both migraine and headaches brought on by tension.

However, caffeine is effective and safe only when used correctly. It is well known that caffeine has ‘vasoconstrictive’ characteristics. This means that when caffeine is imbibed it results in narrowing of blood vessels, which causes restriction in the flow of blood. This characteristic of caffeine is particularly useful for people who suffer from migraine.

During a migraine attack, the blood vessels increase in size, hence most medications meant for migraine are designed to reduce the size of the blood vessels before they begin adversely affecting the nerves by having caffeine as an essential ingredient. In fact, many people who suffer from migraine often find that when they drink coke or coffee in the early stages of the attack, it alleviates the symptoms significantly.

However, there are many things, which along with helping can also have negative aspects to them. As a pick-me-up stimulant, caffeine can indeed give you an energy boost, but it can drop you down quickly too, particularly when sugar is added to it.

This is especially exacerbated when a person who is prone to migraine consumes large amounts of caffeine and sugar without having had any food. This affects the levels of blood sugar and has the propensity to trigger a headache.

TruthAboutCaffeine.com » Migraine Headaches: How Caffeine Can Make it Worse

• 4 months later...
Caffeine Equivalent To 8 Cups a Day Prevents Multiple Sclerosis In Mice

Submitted by News Account on 7 April 2008 - 1:01am. Pharmacology

Mice given caffeine equivalent to a human drinking six to eight cups of coffee a day were protected from developing experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), the animal model for the human disease Multiple Sclerosis (MS), according to researchers at Cornell University.

Caffeine Equivalent To 8 Cups a Day Prevents Multiple Sclerosis In Mice | Scientific Blogging

If you like coffee, try mix tea into it.

This is one of the favorite drinks for Hong Kong people.

It's stronger not only in taste but also the 'effect' they say.

It's call [Yin Yang], yes, like the one from Tao...

Interesting...I'll have to try that. Any tea in particular?

I think I'll try a Yerba Mate mix. :( :bouquet:

8 cups a day of coffee can prevent MS. Nice article, Michaelangelica.

Although this is a bitter tasting pick-me-up, as an energy and health drink in the morning, I've started mixing one shot of fresh-brewed espresso with a small teaspoon of powdered cocoa like Cadbury's. You get instant energy from the combination of caffeine (coffee) and theobromine (cocoa), but also a gradual warming up and relaxing of the entire body, like with green tea, which I assume is due to the antioxidants and stimulants working together. It leaves me feeling very pleasurable. It's great for cold mornings, winter days, or before exercise. It's an acquired taste. Sugar or honey makes it a little better, but without milk, creamers, etc. it's not going to win any awards.

For pure drinking pleasure, stick to however you like to make your coffee. The best for me is still a little sugar + freshly brewed espresso.