Science Forums

Coffee

Coffee and Cholesterol - Can It Lower Your Cholesterol?

The findings may surprise you…

To date, coffee consumption is not directly associated with heart disease. However, two diterpenes found in high amounts in unfiltered coffee, cafestol and kahweol, have been found to actually raise cholesterol levels. These studies examined different types of unfiltered coffee, as well as coffee oil. Most studies have indicated that individuals consuming roughly 60 milligrams of cafestol (equivalent to ten cups of unfiltered, French press coffee or two grams of coffee oil) may raise total cholesterol levels by an average of about 20 percent. This is largely due to an increase in low density lipoprotein (LDL) levels and triglyceride levels. High density lipoproteins (HDL) do not appear to be affected.

Although the mechanism by which cafestol and kahweol raised cholesterol were largely unknown, a study performed on mice at Baylor College in Houston, indicates that this compound may activate a protein called farsenoid X receptor (FXR) in the intestine, which affects a gene called fibroblast growth factor 15 (FGF15). When this gene is activated, it can reduce the effects of three genes in the liver involved in cholesterol regulation. In other words, cholesterol levels increase when cafestol and kahweol are present due to their ability to activate this gene.

Coffee - Can Coffee Raise Cholesterol Levels

Ugh, energy drinks. Most young people are addicted to them. They taste like battery acid to me. Now finding out that taurine might have some health concerns it gives me more reason to stay far, far away.

So come have an espresso with me. I just purchased a pack of pure Kona coffee. :alien_dance:

So come have an espresso with me. I just purchased a pack of pure Kona coffee.

I have some Panamanian peaberry :alien_dance: And i'll probably get some Kona after that, i just cant spend 35+/lb for Kona every time, sure its delicious and roasted the day its packaged and shipped, so i get it just before prime, and all through prime, but also I like to go through my regions, as I like them for various reasons, so i get in my car and drive to a local roaster, they are great. :confused:

If you want to try other regions, but are unsure which ones you want to get, i can post general outlines of what i like about coffees from most of the major world regions; I have drank coffee from most of them, and i do own 5 different kinds of coffee-makers, and usually i'll have those coffees 3 different ways (pressed, hand-dripped using a Chemex pot, and using an ibrik (turkish coffee); its amazing how the same coffee tastes different when it's prepared differently) :eek_big:

This is great :ohdear: :

I would drink coffee if I could find one that didn't have that bitter after-taste. Can any coffee lovers and experts out there recommend something I might enjoy?

My parents taught us that adding just a pinch of salt to a cup or a few pinches to the grounds before brewing helps reduce the bitterness alot.

Try adding a couple dashes of ground cinnamon (sp?) to the grounds before brewing.

:alien_dance: Put some sugar on it, maybe. :confused: :eek_big: