Science Forums

Ie7 :)

C1ay

Bill Gates is finally resigning :)

I have nothing good to say about their business model, but that is not the case with their products, most suck, not all, SQL server is alright, its no oracle, but for its uses it can be quite alright, Office is still leading the market, even thought they have stolen all their ideas from other companies, their product still has way more features then the next 2 put together. I dont like their business model, and i have suggestions on how to make their products (such as Windows) better (a lot) and cheaper, if anyone wants to discuss that...

Just look at it from my side, its like you guys are saying "Wow, look at those stock rims on that beat up, 87, ford truck"...

So lets get useful here alexander: what dhtml does it not support? (and while we're at it, xhtml!)

I'll tell you one thing that is still sucky in FF: its not multi-threaded, and lots of places IE chugs along with multiple windows, FF chokes on waiting.

Not defending IE here, just know the software company that tells the majority of its potential user base that they're "wrong" does not survive, let alone win...

Thready,

Buffy

I'm really starting to despise microsoft.

I think that you are having a problem with your computer and not your browsers.....

You probably have some viruses or something that are preventing IE and firefox from working properly.

IE works PERFECTLY on my computer, and I'm sure that's true for most people who have *clean* computers.

On Oct 18 at 10:03 PM Slashdot announced that IE7 is released and is available for download. On Oct 19 at 11:00 AM, 13 hours later, Slashdot announced that the first IE7 vulnerability is discovered. As of this post both stories are on the front page of Slashdot at the same time.

They've had a windows patch available to prepare for IE7 for a months, I think.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904942

That should work, but when the bank's terms and conditions say that they only support IE, I'm pretty sure if my transactions didn't go through that they'd hide behind their logs which would show that I was using an unsupported browser, so its my fault that a payment was missed. Not gonna take that bet just to "stick it" to M$...

Yeah, but one can always take their business elsewhere. =P Ahh, capitalism.

remember the M$ slogan "For every hole closed, we introduce 2 new ones!", M$ will never be secure because they work in close approximation with companies that provide security features (anti spyware, popup blockers and spyware removers) and make money off of them, doubt that they will give that money up...

And they also probably sell the tricks to usurp any added security features to the spammers and popper-uppers. Comin' and goin'...

I think that you are having a problem with your computer and not your browsers....

I'll second this opinion, but I'll offer this warning that's bit a bunch of people I know: IE7 is incompatible with Norton Internet Security. If you have both, they will break. Both vendors point fingers at one another, but bottom line is Symantec needs to fix Norton to work with IE7. Why the folks in Bangalore have not been able to do this yet, I don't know....I've had access to an IE7 for months from MSDN....

Of course, Symantec is *worse* than Microsoft in my book...Use AVG or Kapersky!

Platform independent,

Buffy

Yeah, but one can always take their business elsewhere. =P Ahh, capitalism.
With all these brilliant conservative (corporate lackey) economists who seem to think consolidation is good and think that 2-3 vendors who don't have to collude to "act cooperatively" constitutes a "competitive market," I'd say that this is not an option. We've gone from 10 major banks and hundreds of savings and loans down to just two of each (Quien es mas macho? BofA o Wells Fargo?), and there's no competition, and THEY KNOW IT.

Sure it makes them more profitable which Wall Street likes, but our "robust economy" is on its way to stagnation because the role of the government in balancing the interests of suppliers has completely disappeared, creating truly broken markets and vendors like Microsoft that can do anything they want and get away with it.

This is obviously a completely different thread, so if you'd like to discuss this, take it to Social Sciences...

Oligopolies are sucky,

Buffy

I'll second this opinion, but I'll offer this warning that's bit a bunch of people I know: IE7 is incompatible with Norton Internet Security. If you have both, they will break.

This may have been fixed, or is not universal. I use IE7 and Norton and have had no issues.

I do agree with you about Norton being evil, I am moving soon to Trend (McAfee is the only one lower than Norton IMHO).

norton :hihi:

I spent a few weeks trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my computer once, I thought I had a virus, I was unable to get a connection to the internet, no matter what I tried. So I run norton, nothing.. ok, I couldnt update norton because I had no net connection, so I downloaded Avast on another compter and USB'd it across. Ran a pre-boot scan, still nothing.. eventually when I realised my free period of norton had ran out I thought that I may aswell get rid of it, I uninstalled it fully (was a bit of a task..) and lo-and-behold all of a sudden my internet started working again!

:hihi: :naughty:

Not gonna take that bet just to "stick it" to M$...
Of course, it's not always just about sticking it to M$, it's also about having software that does stuff you want, and doesn't do stuff you don't want.
Just to clarify Rince, I'm speaking here as a software manufacturer. We actually not too long ago had a competitor pop up who proudly proclaimed "we don't support IE", which I think they thought would be a benefit because our target market is "strongly Mac" (although when you run the numbers its actually mostly Windows). They did not last very long! :evil:

Making a pact with the devil,

Buffy

I think that you are having a problem with your computer and not your browsers.....

You probably have some viruses or something that are preventing IE and firefox from working properly.

IE works PERFECTLY on my computer, and I'm sure that's true for most people who have *clean* computers.

yeah, I'm aware that this could be being caused by a virus.... but as far as I can tell, I've got updated virus protection, virus scan, adware detection and all that spicy jazz. And IE was working just fine, up until I installed 7.

And the reason I point my finger at microsoft is because I know that none of this would happen while running a mac or linux system. So much more stable, in my experience.