Science Forums

Ie7 :)

C1ay

Southtown, this may be a silly question since you have gone to such lengths... do you have system restore shut off? It is on by default. If you have not turned it off, restore to prior to the issues and you are set. Should take about 2 minutes.

Yeah I had to use restore but not because ie7 wouldn't install. Everything else works. I had to restore because during all the fuss everything started running super slow.

All this does is "Add remove access to Internet Explorer from the Start Menu and Desktop". It doesn't actually remove IE, it just removes the short cuts.

That would explain how it reinstalled so fast. =|

OK, so I have to ask the eventual question that seems to be avoided. Have you downloaded the full release version of IE 7?

I know that this new version requires validation of your windows OS. I've installed IE 7 on three computers, including the one I am working on right now. Havne't had a lick of troubles. However, I did have some troubles on an earlier beta version of IE 7 that I remedied by reinstalling it.

Not saying you are, but I hate it when people complain about software that they try to use with other bootleg software. That is the problem you face when you bootleg things. I really need to figure out if I'm going to purchase a valid license or wait for the new Vista Media Ultimate version to come out.

Yeah, I tried going around windows update and getting the exe. And yeah, my os is legit, xppro sp2, came with a new dell 5 yrs ago whose parts have since all been replaced.

I'm trying to burn a backup dvd and try a real man's restore. But my drive has bitten it. Guess I'm trying new drivers and firmware first. :fly:

I've been using Netscape Navigator for ages, and am currently on v8.1.2, the latest and greatest from Netscape, based on Firefox. And I have to say I've never had any issues with it, at all! It's a great browser, a great all-rounder. But now M$ have been bugging me with all kinds of crap to pleeeeeze consider installing and running Internet Explorer 7. And I can not for the life of me think of any single reason why I should. So M$ say "Run IE7, it supports Tabbed Browsing!" What?!?! Is that, like, a new thing to them? Sheez...

So, if anybody actually runs IE7 out there, can you please try and convince me as to why I should waste bandwidth on downloading it?

B, I am not going to try to convince you, you should use what you find useful to you.

I use IE7 and love it. I find it fits my needs and I like the interface. I like the RSS feed options available and have found I use them quite a bit.

However, it comes down to personal preference. If you don't like it, don't try to force it :warped:

Z, all the functionality available in IE7 has been available for Firefox for past year. Only where in IE7 its all crappy and doesnt work 1/2 the time, it works perfectly fine in Firefox, and there is more to it then tabbed browsing, extensions are your best friend dude! Actually the whole interface is built using an archive of all kinds of xml and other files with a main one responible for all menus and how everything is displayed and whatnot. Took me like 20 minutes to figure out how it works when i was working on the kioskify, and i took out the support for bookmarking and all kinds of stuff by editing files that are while not documented (but i didnt try searching for documentation) but are really well written!

And another experience, i was trying to watch a video from tmz.com today, and i tried so many times to do it in IE7, even 6 on windows, and for the life of me i could not get this one video to play (give it a wirl if you like, i didnt spend too much time playing with it, but my windows geek friends couldnt figure it out in a few minutes, so to me it looked hopeless, on 32 and 64 bit xp today) but in FF, a plugin later i was watching the video just fine, no time, and one restart of the browser later, it was great!

A software developer's view that's relevant to end-users who find that many sites don't work with IE7:

MS took a big risk in making changes in IE7 that break stuff that's been hard-coded to IE6. They did this to make it more standards compatible, and this in spite of years of saying they "couldn't do that because so much software depends on IE6 behavior." I commend them for it!

But what we've found here is that the key problem is that sites have hard coded to IE6 by ONLY detecting IE and not what version. We've been lucky because we've been using dean edwards ie7 plug in, which basically looks ONLY for IE6 and below, so IE7 users have simply seen our system start running dramatically faster! Sites that are hard-coded to 6 are in for major rewrites....

Standardized,

Buffy

Z, all the functionality available in IE7 has been available for Firefox for past year. Only where in IE7 its all crappy and doesnt work 1/2 the time, it works perfectly fine in Firefox, and there is more to it then tabbed browsing, extensions are your best friend dude!

Alexander, I am glad that you have had a good experience with FF. For me, FF was just a pain. I found a few sites that didn't display correctly or even work so it just wasn't worth the time for me.

As for the 'doesn't work 1/2 the time', I agree, if something didn't work half the time I wouldn't use it. However, in my experience, I haven't found IE7 to not work. As a matter of fact, I have not found one site that didn't.

And another experience, i was trying to watch a video from tmz.com today, and i tried so many times to do it in IE7, even 6 on windows, and for the life of me i could not get this one video to play (give it a wirl if you like, i didnt spend too much time playing with it, but my windows geek friends couldnt figure it out in a few minutes, so to me it looked hopeless, on 32 and 64 bit xp today) but in FF, a plugin later i was watching the video just fine, no time, and one restart of the browser later, it was great!

I decided to take you up on your suggestion. I went to tmz.com. Clicked on the link for the first video I found (pamela anderson on a boat, cute red bikini:)). IE7 started up the video of an annoying ad, then played the pam anderson video. No loading of extensions, no reboot, no changing of settings. Just played. I did get a message at the top indicating the site wanted to use some activeX object and if I wanted to allow that I should 'click here'. However the video played without it so I decided I didn't need it.

Now I know of people that have issues with computers, and others that always have issues with MS software, or Adobe software or company X's software so I don't doubt that your particular system is experiencing these issues. I just don't think the issues are as wide spread with the general public as they are with yours (half the time).

um, i tried it on a computer at work and 2 at school, Z, and i was not the only person to witness that either, my windows friend was like, just use FF, but i purposely tried to make it work in IE. It is perhaps with some software that you have installed that it worked, like on a mac it works fine because it resorts to JS and flash, but on a fresh install of XP with IE7 it did NOT work, i got to the loading bar all of the three times, but never farther then that in IE!

it could also be that you didnt watch the video from the same source, the one i watched was from aol video something, i'll post a link, it was about that Kramer guy loosing it in the standup routine. Since you did not watch the same video, and it was likely to have a different source, i cant call your experience quite exact to mine...i could ofcourse be wrong...

try this one: http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1772645

i'll try it again later on and tell you how the revisit went. oh and AOL could have changed its code too...

Hey Alexander.

Very peculiar. I tried the link you posted, got the AOL video (this was the same as the other video), the ad came up, then the Kramer video started.

Do you by chance have any sort of IE popup blocker, or is it the firewall you are using (was that a common thread with the computers you tried)?

It could also be a code issue with the particular AOL video server your region connected to, if they have multiple video servers (I would be shocked if they didn't). Code got updated on the one I hook up to and not the one you do?

In any event, I understand that IE has given you many issues, that is reason enough for you not to use it. I just don't believe that IE fails to work at half the sites you visit for everyone. Just like I believe most people have fewer issues with FF than I.

how do you figure its memory leaks and not some plugin acting up?

Well, hard to say what exactly is going on - the only plugin I have is Flash player. I have some stuff like Google Bar etc which I can disable.

Problem is that even just *launching* FF on my Macbook makes the entire machine go slow. No other apps do this. :lol: