Science Forums

Ie7 :)

C1ay

Southie here, reporting for oi8ms tv...

Update unsuccessful. Reboot. Shortcut on desktop to this url. Went there and skimmed it. Checked registry permissions: fine. Closed AVG and Zone Alarm. Update again unsuccessful. I guess I am safe from IE7 take over. Objective analysis: pain in the *** commercial for Vista.

oh wait its IE7, what am i talking about it does not support dhtml...
...still waitin' on your eloquent rendition of "what dhtml ie7 still doesn't support" and "why I think dhtml is superior to xhtml" ;)

I couldn't leave her if I tried, :shrug:

Buffy

well, microsoft has read my rant and decided to reenable support for dhtml, except it is disabled by default now.

with final release these are the standings:

CSS support is still junky, but getting better, maybe by 8 IE will support CSS2 fully, correctly

DirectAnimation libraries have been removed

XBM(X-based imaging format) support has been removed

Weak SSl ciphers support has been removed

View Source protocol no longer works in IE

Gopher protocol support has been removed

Telnet is no longer supported by IE

and finally ActiveDesktop support has been removed from IE

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues...

Well, after unsuccessfully trying to install ie7 again, for the fifth or sixth time, and exhausting all of the 'workarounds' provided by M$'s desktop shortcut for failures, I attempt a freescan by McAfee. I'm confronted with issues regarding my registry permissions that are not solvable by any of M$'s suggestions.

Thinking I may have a virus that AVG hasn't detected, I pursue an alternative. Well, McAfee freescan would not run because I "must be running ie5 or newer". I am running ie6 sp2. So I figured the failed attempts at installing ie7 must have messed up my ie identifier or something weird like that.

So let's reistall ie6, I said to myself. Ooo, good thinking Stud, I replied. Whereupon I immediately unistalled ie6 and used ff to successfully download ie6 from M$.con. The installation, however, is another story. Ie6 could not actually be installed because "a newer version is already installed" on my system.

I am pretty sure this is incorrect, seeing as how I just uninstalled it. But I bet I can remedy the situation with my handy-dandy xp cd. If not, I guess I will just be stuck with ff. Durnit...

:surprise:

Add/Remove Programs then Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left. Adding stuff requires the install cd, of course. That's how I get rid of MSN* too.

All this does is "Add remove access to Internet Explorer from the Start Menu and Desktop". It doesn't actually remove IE, it just removes the short cuts.

OK, so I have to ask the eventual question that seems to be avoided. Have you downloaded the full release version of IE 7?

I know that this new version requires validation of your windows OS. I've installed IE 7 on three computers, including the one I am working on right now. Havne't had a lick of troubles. However, I did have some troubles on an earlier beta version of IE 7 that I remedied by reinstalling it.

Not saying you are, but I hate it when people complain about software that they try to use with other bootleg software. That is the problem you face when you bootleg things. :shrug: I really need to figure out if I'm going to purchase a valid license or wait for the new Vista Media Ultimate version to come out.