Science Forums

Word inventions.........

infamous

From my 'rocket dictionary':

boogle: the act of confusion resulting from excessive data. (I coined it from google, except that 'boogle' is the perplexity of not getting an iota despite being bombarded with vast amount of information.)

carbonated: lively, animated but distinctively human behavior. Definitely differentiated from your silica-based extraterrestrial stellar neighbor.

"darkboned lie": hopelessly false, a bone is obviously white or lighter in color, but the state of this lie is in such hopeless case that it is compared to a very rare black or grayish bone.

Hypersplainistic: The tendency to post multi page explanations when a few short sentences would suffice......................Infy

This reminds me of a teacher who told us that half a page should be enough to give 90% of the answer to any question, but that it would require 5 pages to provide 90 % of the remaining 10 %, and 50 pages for 90 % of the then remaining 1 %, and so on. Obviously some posters forget that first half page.

Noncommittalism: The religious endorsement of standing for nothing, aka; being religiously correct.........................Infy

This must come close to what is known in Dutch as "ietsisme" - which one could translate as "somethingism" : the belief that there must be "Something" (prefentially with a capital S) without having to commit oneself.

my question to all of you guys is whether you guys actually use these words on the everyday basis...

i will ofcourse contribute with the list of words that i have either heard used or have come up with and used myself:

bettererishly - better then better but sort of, almost and in a way ex: "But this solution solves your problem bettererishly" (adv)

enfloccinaucinihilipilificationating - an act of defining an estimation of something as being worthless. ex: "We were enfloccinaucinihilipilificationating that that piece of junk yesterday" (verb)

automagical - automatic but in a magical way (verb)

en****ering - a process by which something gets completely f#$&ed up ex: "The only negative aspect of the job that we agreed to do may be very en****ering to our company" (adj)

cromulent - meaning valid or acceptable ex: "I dont know why; its a perfectly cromulent word" (adj)

embiggen - opposite of belittle, make someone or something better ex: "Don't embiggen his ideas about that society, i read the same thing on wiki" (verb)

beersightedness - The eye condition developed after "last call" in the bar which makes members of the opposite sex more attractive than they were a few hours earlier (n)

adjectize - to describe something with an overly excessive amount of words ex: "Don't you think that calling a light bulb an 'incandescent, opaline light-emitting heterostructure' a bit of adjectizing" (verb)

anticluistic - describing a person as someone who actively refuses to get a clue (adj)

PEBKAC - problem exists between keyboard and chair ex: "I think this is a typical case of PEBKAC" (acronym)

overacronymousity - a manner of speaking in which one uses too many acronyms ex: "Do you think that IT guy actually knows what he is talking about? I think his real face is hidden behind all that overacronymousity." (adj)

and finally

slowmobile - a vehicle that cuts in front of you on the highway and cuts their speed in half (noun)

slowmobile - a vehicle that cuts in front of you on the highway and cuts their speed in half (noun)

I especially like that one alex..., very similiar to;

Snailmobile: Automobile occupied and driven by a 95 year old individual who is lost in city traffic.............................Infy

This word has been used by myself more often than once or twice lately!!!