Science Forums

Word inventions.........

infamous

• 2 weeks later...
Well gentleman, I've actually considered this word and the concept with which I associate it to have both been invented LONG ago...

Truly, and I'm very familiar with original usage of the word nookie. I was just, quite frankly, giving Boerseun a little tweaking. I guess nobody else saw the humor in referring to a radioactive cookie as a nookie. I, nevertheless, had a very good laugh about it even if it was my idea........................Infy

If I may offer a word invention by a still dead guy and the circumstance of it.

The word, uncomeatable.

The circumstance.

Writing in Ben Franklin: An American Life, Walter Isaacson tells of Ben Franklin's meeting of the English philosopher David Hume and their subsequent correspondence.

Franklin and Hume also shared an interest in language. When Hume berated him for coining new words, Franklin agreed to quit using the terms "colonize" and "unshakeable." But he lamented that "I cannot but wish the usage of our tongue permitted making new words where we want them." For example, Franklin argued the word "inaccessible" was not nearly as good as coining a new word such as "uncomeatable."

:P