Science Forums

I want World Peace. Yes/No?

InfiniteNow

I want World Peace. Yes/No?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. I want World Peace. Yes/No?

there may be a limited few from that generation that actually believed in the cause.

Where do you get this statistic?

if you look at the majority of persons that patricipated then and their actions since you'll find that largly they vote for stricter censorship laws,

they vote for law makers that fight bills to legalise ellicit substances, etc.

:thumbs_up

Statistic?

I follow the news.

These things concern me especially with regaurds to soccer moms trying to do away with violence, nudity, profanity etc. in music movies videogames etc.

A good example is the recent bull pertaining to the grand theft auto series of video games which apparently in one edition had a sex scene which could be viewed with the right cheat. Soon after the outcry the game was pulled from the shelves and replaced with a version which did not include the sex.

Annnnnnnnnd!! Let's not forget the new trend inflicted on us by these same people, edited versions of our fave musicians which loose anything that may be offensive!! (unless your reeeeeeeal careful reading album labels you end up with songs that are not as the artist intended!)

Statistic?

I follow the news.

These things concern me especially with regaurds to soccer moms trying to do away with violence, nudity, profanity etc. in music movies videogames etc.

A good example is the recent bull pertaining to the grand theft auto series of video games which apparently in one edition had a sex scene which could be viewed with the right cheat. Soon after the outcry the game was pulled from the shelves and replaced with a version which did not include the sex.

Annnnnnnnnd!! Let's not forget the new trend inflicted on us by these same people, edited versions of our fave musicians which loose anything that may be offensive!! (unless your reeeeeeeal careful reading album labels you end up with songs that are not as the artist intended!)

I don't think the soccer moms of today's generation were the peace and love hippies that you are referring to. Those people are older. I would call those poeple "Hippies", and there still are some today.. lol. They're nice people. Of course, they're not perfect either. I just don't think you can judge a group of people or a generation like that.

With regards to censorship I think there is way more to worry about than labeling c.d.'s and pulling games off shelves. Personally, I think it's sick that a game that 10 year olds play has a sex scene in it (and I'm not a soccer mom). Censorship when it comes to government, religion and other more important topics should be more of a concern.

What kind of nut would say no to world peace? Science and technology would advance regardless, and I would prefer not getting my head blown apart than having some fanny new gadgets.

The real question is: Is world peace realistic? I doubt; the incentives for war are too great to ignore.

There's a balance.

If you want world peace

there will be world (opposite)

to go along with it.

So just be peaceful

and take all of your negative energy

and throw it at the wall like a Plate.

Don't take it out

on others,

Within

WITHIN

there's more

than just a brain.

What kind of nut would say no to world peace? Science and technology would advance regardless, and I would prefer not getting my head blown apart than having some fanny new gadgets.

The real question is: Is world peace realistic? I doubt; the incentives for war are too great to ignore.

I think world peace is a realistic idea. But I think that the ability to live peacefully doesn't exist in a lot of people. That, and I think people buy into things that seem good, like plots by the government and such, when they're really just trying to control us and make themselves richer, etc..

Books like 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale are examples of that, I think. I think a government could propose a plan or system of world peace, and we would all think it's great, but it wouldn't turn out the way we hoped.:)

Scientific and industrial progress is there to minimise human effort.

Examples are all around - automation, production lines, etc.

Scientific progress implies reduction of effort over all fronts, including intellectual. Why calculate with your brain if you can use a calculator? Why remember reams of facts when you can use a computer? So, progress will reduce demands on intellectual capacity across the board. World Peace as such implies having an understanding of the issues, and being tolerant of differing cultures and opinions. Tolerance also demands a profound understanding of the issues involved. Neither of these requirements are to be met with progress increasingly dumbing down the majority of the population.

So, War will be the result. Continuous world-wide conflicts erupting all over the show, keeping all nations perpetually on their toes. And this, of course, benefits Science and Progress - see how incredibly much Science advanced in the five years from 1939-1944. So - is warfare a permanent positive feedback loop for scientific progress? What would be the inevitable end of this never-ending cycle?

Yes! You guessed it! A technologically superior world where lives don't count for much, where warfare is the order of the day, where nations feel compelled to keep on inventing bigger and better (better being more efficient, not more humane) ways to slaughter their neighbours, wasting incredible amounts of energy along the way.

Why? Because doing so will be the fastest and most efficient way to dilute concentrated sources of energy. But that's soulless and inhumane! So what? We are, and always have been, Slaves to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. If we as a species leave the planet, nothing will change. Nations will keep on slugging it out over resources found in the Solar System for precisely the same reason. And if we ever go interstellar and meet up with aliens at Alpha Centauri, the same thing will repeat itself.

Sad, but true.

I must admit to being very surpised by the results.

Right now, 30 yes, 10 no.

I am dishearted knowing that (although those posting on Hypography do not represent an accurate proportional representation of all human beings on Earth)...

One out of every four voters does not WANT world peace.

<sigh>

I Want WORLD PEACE! just as soon as i kill all the infidels.

Osama Bin Ladin

I want World Peace! as soon as i kill all the Jews and Americans.

Ahmadinejad, Iran

I want World Peace! as soon as i wipe out the Kurds and shiites.

Saddam Hussein

can you think of a few more?