Science Forums

Africa, what to do?

jkellmd

My work in Watts, a large black township in S.E. Los Angeles, and in Baldwin Hills where young black professionals gravitate into a better life style, is with Africans who are a generation or two ahead of those back home. So I am ahead of the curve and have a better idea than most of how things will probably develope there.. I would be interested to know when last you spent time inside Soweto or Alexandria. I don't mean for just a look-see. Most whites have neither the interest nor the balls to do it. The only ones I ever saw in Soweto and Watts, cruised by in police cars with their hands on their guns.

I worked as a linesman at the Los Angeles Dept of Water and Power South Central Yard from 1986 to 1996.

The 1992 Los Angeles race riots was a great time of learning for me.

I worked as a linesman at the Los Angeles Dept of Water and Power South Central Yard from 1986 to 1996.

The 1992 Los Angeles race riots was a great time of learning for me.

JB you are one tough cookie and i respect the fact that you are not afraid to say what you think, no matter how politically incorrect it may be. We disagree on some findamentals, but I like a warrior. I was there during the riots as well. The morning after Reggie was brained, I drove down the 710 - totally empty at morning rush hour. Very eery with smoke billowing all over the city and no services in sight. Most folks on this forum have no idea of the volcano they are sitting on.

In the contrary. My previous reply to Boerseun was to the point. His reply to mine was crassly vapid - unless you too believe that man and zebra are on the same level of awareness. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but give us a break.

MagnetMan, I think you have slightly misread my post. What I have said is that as a zebra's stripes is a survival mechanism, and so, too, is intelligence. No more, no less. I have not said anything regarding humans and zebras on the same level of awareness. Read my post again.

What on earth do you think I have been doing? Read my posts a little more closely and take anothetr look at some of the replies I have got in return. I am posing original ideas, which are naturally refuted because nobody has ever considered them before.

You are posting an idea with which I have to take issue, because I think it's non-workable. That is how debates are run. Your idea of taking students from Africa to study in the States, then to return to Africa is simply not practical, and not realistic for the reasons I have mentioned in my previous posts in this thread. We are not 'out to get you' or spouting the 'same old gospel' as part of a global anti-MagnetMan conspiracy, we're just pointing out the shortcomings in your idea. I am still waiting for your explanation of how you plan to ensure these trained Africans return to Africa, and where you expect them to find work in Africa in the absence of the first tier of entrepeneurs I have proposed. Dismissing the large employers sorely needed in this enterprise of building up Africa as a bunch of 'mickey mouse' corporations is not helping your case at all, and merely serves to strengthen the impression your are creating of yourself that you don't really know what's going on in terms of real-world economics.

I can accept that initial attitude - for it is hard for peole to let go of what they are accustomed to.. But it gets tiresome when nobody reciprocates with an original constructive idea of their own - and just spouts the same old gospel that forced me to look elsewhere for answers in the first place.

We did reciprocate with original, constructive ideas. However, they didn't seem to mesh and agree with your ideas. I you're looking for a board where everybody will agree with you no matter what you say, you are on a serious ego trip, and at the wrong forum, at the very least. Once again, this is not how serious discussions regarding serious issues are to be conducted. Besides - you're not actually coming up with ideas. In this thread and the others you've posted in so far, all you state is that you've come up with this concept of global stewardship and your book psyche-genetics describes all of it. What the hell is that? Are you simply using Hypography to pimp your book? I'm not going to buy your book to understand a few obscure posts in Hypo! Explain at the very least the gist of your idea so that your posts make sense. What's this psyche-genetics? Does it actually have anything at all to do with genetics? With psychology?

And when it gets rude, insult is added to injury.

In is not considered rude in Science for somebody to not agree with you. It is considered extremely rude to present views without being open to any criticism.

Are you also threatening me with a ban??? How many times in my life do I have to listen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depends how long you plan to be immune to criticism.

I agree with Bore-seun.

There needs to be the Jobs before the Schools.

How do you build schools and educate with No money?

Once Jobs are there, Schools can be built.

Then the education creates further Jobs

Africa is One Big Beautiful Happy Continent :)

I say Solar Power the whole place. That would create jobs, and Electricity for everybody . Electricity Is As necessary as Jobs...especially for raising the living standards.

Build one humongaloid Tesla Coil!

China is creating a lot of Jobs there. But they might be as exploitive as anyother Nuclear Power.

what a world we live in

Bestiality new Aids myth - SPCA

25/03/2002 14:05 - (SA)

Johannesburg - The National Societies for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (NSPCA) says it is horrified at claims that having sex with an animal prevents people from getting Aids. The organisation says bestiality neither prevents Aids nor is it a cure for the deadly disease.

An NSPCA statement said on Monday it had noted an SABC news report that boys from Mamvuka village in Nzhelele Valley in the Northern Province had had sex with goats to avoid getting Aids.

Bestiality 'safe sex' says boy

But the SABC interviewed at least one boy who admitted he considered bestiality as safe sex, and that he and his friends had sex with goats up to four times a week.

"We know about Aids and we are very afraid of it. That is why we are having sex with these goats. Goats don't have Aids.

"We see people in the village dying every day. It's because they have slept with one another and infected each other. Goats can't get those infections. We would therefore rather have sex with them," a Grade 11 pupil told the broadcaster.

"It's obvious that if I'm not sick there is nothing I can transmit to goats and goats to me. We won't become HIV-positive because goats don't get Aids. We often share the same goat and don't get each other's diseases," he said.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/Aids_Focus/0,,2-7-659_1161152,00.html

MagnetMan, I think you have slightly misread my post. What I have said is that as a zebra's stripes is a survival mechanism, and so, too, is intelligence. No more, no less. I have not said anything regarding humans and zebras on the same level of awareness. Read my post again.

I would like to get us back on thread and put an end this personal business if possible.

Let us revisit the orgins of the dispute and see if we can resolved it. Here is my original post, in response to your claim as well as that of others, that mankind is innately greedy.

The greedy gorilla grabbing for all the bananas certainly underlies our primate psyche and is without question the primal drive that ensures the survival of the species. But mankind is a supernatural being. We tower above Nature. There is no other consciousness on the planet remotely like ours.

Nope. There is fundamentally no difference between humans and zebras. Zebras have evolved black and white lines over its body to break up its shape, confusing predators in the process, and humans have developed intelligence as a survival mechanism. Intelligence as we know it, is neither less nor more valuable as a survival mechanism.

Since we are addresssing the problems of mass starvation, genocide and AIDS in Africa. Thoughtful debate among cooperative people is required. The reply given above in these circumstances, is, in my veiw crass. Only a highly spiritualized and compassionate human work force is going to accomplish that. If no one else in this debate is prepared to do accept that mankind not only has that capacity, but is also ethically obliged to do weverything in his power to help - and continues to claim that man is just a greedy dumb animal who's only interest is in personal survival - then further discussion is pointless.

In is not considered rude in Science for somebody to not agree with you. It is considered extremely rude to present views without being open to any criticism.
Are you giving an elder a lesson in common human decency young man?
It certainly appears that you require one. Is it normal in your culture to pull rank like that? Respect is accorded on the basis of what you do, and how you do it, not who you are.

Based on the arrogance you have displayed on this and several other threads you seem to be accorded considerably more respect than you deserve.

You claim to wish to discuss a serious subject, yet you appear unwilling to allow that others may have different perspectives on the causes and solutions to these problems. Will you not set aside your arrogance for a moment and consider those alternate views? Would that not offer the best chance of achieving something, even if it is nothing more than the changing of a single mind?