Science Forums

Who's your favorite?

IrishEyes

I need help from our membership. This should be fun, so please submit your entries, ok?

I'm trying to get together the next issue of the newsletter, for the summer edition, and I'd like to add some personal member touches. So I'd like for you to tell me, either in this thread, or in a PM or e-mail, your favorite things about the site. Here's the info I'd like to have:

What is your favorite thing about this site?

Who are your Top 3 favorite members? Why do you like those people? What makes their posts special?

Who are your Top 3 favorite Mods/Admins? What makes them better than the other Mods or Admins? What could they do better?

What are your three favorite discussions that we've had so far this summer (since June 1)? What are your favorite discussions ever? Why were they so good? How did you keep up with them? Were you involved in those discussions?

What is your favorite forum to visit here? Why do you like it? What other forums do you enjoy here?

some ground rules before you answer:

Please do not leave negative remarks about members or staff, as the purpose of this is to get some POSITIVE info. If you have something negative to say, please say it in a PM to me.

If someone doesn't mention you, don't take that as an offense. This is to find out who our membership holds in high regard. I'd like everyone to be honest, and fair.

This is not a popularity contest. I'm not giving away any prizes to any members for 'winning'.

I'm going to use this info for the newsletter, so please remember that when you make comments.

Thanks for your help with this. Look for the newsletter within the next month!

Irish

Who are your Top 3 favorite members? Why do you like those people? What makes their posts special?

Who are your Top 3 favorite Mods/Admins? What makes them better than the other Mods or Admins? What could they do better?

What are your three favorite discussions that we've had so far this summer (since June 1)? What are your favorite discussions ever? Why were they so good? How did you keep up with them? Were you involved in those discussions?

What is your favorite forum to visit here? Why do you like it? What other forums do you enjoy here?

Answer to the first question:

The diversity of subject matter offered here.

Answers to second question:

Turtle, because he's a free spirit and he don't come here just to cause others grief.

C1ay, because he brings information about new developements and interesting topics to our attention.

IrishEyes, because she has a gentle nature and would like to see others get along, unlike a few of our members.

I would also like to add Orby to this list, his humor cracks me up continually.

Answers to third quesion:

C1ay, Biochemist, and Tormod. Don"t change a thing.

Answers to fourth question:

Coldcreation, What is consciousness

Answers to fifth question:

Physics and Math, it's my greatest interest

Astronomy and Cosmology, it's my second greatest interest

Sorry, I meant to answer these myself as well...

What is your favorite thing about this site? I love the variety of people that visit, and the different views that each person brings to the various discussions.

Who are your Top 3 favorite members? Why do you like those people? What makes their posts special? Very tough one, but I have to say: nemo (of course), not only because he's my husband, but also because his threads always interest me (except that business trip one, that just gives me nightmares!); Turtle, because he's so awesome when he sticks his head out of his shell, even though I still don't understand what the heck Katabatak Math is :shrug: ; and bumab, because he is so level-headed, and can see things from many perspectives so clearly. I'd also choose nivienne, if I had a fourth choice (or if nemo wasn't here), because she is really thoughtful, and her honesty shines through in her posts.

Who are your Top 3 favorite Mods/Admins? What makes them better than the other Mods or Admins? What could they do better?Ok, well, you all know my favorite person here, besides nemo, is TORMOD. He is just amazing. And besides being a great 'boss', he's also a great friend. C1ay is also up there, because he sees so many things my way, but is better able to articulate them so often, and he's also a friend. And alex, because he can disagree in the most polite way, and still make you feel like you are important.

But I also like Fish, because he's not afraid to tell what he thinks, no matter how (un)popular his opinion may be.

And sanctus, because his point of view is so different from mine, but he's never mean about it.

And Boerseun, because his wit is side-splitting.

And GAHD, because he's cool as a cucumber.

And Killean, because he works his butt off for you guys but you probably don't realize it.

And really, all the Mods, because they do such a great job keeping things together around here.

I loved the Poetry of any length thread.

And i've enjoyed the State sponsored crimes thread tremendously!

And the Role of Public Education thread is also awesome.

these have all been good because, for the most part, there have been sustained intelligent discussions in those threads, without things getting mean. The people that have contributed have managed to focus on the issues, instead of trying to beat each other up. That's the kind of thread that I like, and the kind of people that especially impress me.

I read them every time I logged on, and participated only when I thought I had something relevant. One of my pet-peeves is people that inflate post counts with one or two word responses to many threads, so I try NOT to do that.

I like hanging out in the lounge, and I enjoy Social Sciences.

The new Theology forum, while usually busy, is kind of a letdown, as the same topics tend to be re-hashed ad nauseum. I was really hoping that it would stay interesting, but it's usually the same people using the same arguments. But I still visit it on a daily basis. :wave:

I'm gonna bump this daily 'til I get some more responses...
I'll help us out with an occasional bump myself Irish. I'm rather interested in the manner of forthcoming comments and, as I have a little more time to study my own feelings, I will return to my first post and edit it to better answer your original questions.

Great idea Irish!

The varied topics and the wide variety of opinions and specialities, the vast majority of which are actually pretty intellegent!

Irish- of course! Always got intellegent responses and incredibly respectful of others opinions and ideas. I think we could all learn from her attitude towards intellegence and dialog. And great post topics! :shrug:

Bio- Always well researched and well informed opinions, whether I agree or not. You just can't sneak anything past this guy- how much time do you spend researching things for here, anyway?! :wave:

Fish- While we don't always agree, I must say you do an incredible job of changing and adapting your opinions to fit the facts- the model of a true scientist. Plus- teachers are always well respected and should be honored.

Room for more? Infamous- incredible wisdom in the posts, and I can just feel the deep faith and love for science. Keep up the good life!

Well shoot- I think my top 3 were all admins. So you guys, I suppose, plus Tormod- incredible job keeping this place a respected sharing house of ideas and opinions and discoveries. I think the addition of a theology forum was a great idea, especially for the philosophy forum. It really cleaned that place up- nice work, admin team!

What are your three favorite discussions that we've had so far this summer (since June 1)?

State sponsored crime- I love the international opinions here, it's great to get out of my shell (so to speak) and look at oneself from the other side(s).

Various theology ones- While the do tend to rehash the same things over and over, I have to feel like people are growing and learning by participating, from all sides. Sometimes it takes about 30 go-rounds before you change your thinking for the better, so perhaps it's doing some good.

Punctuated Eqilibria and mutation threads- Always fun and thought provoking. It's exploring the frontiers of evolutionary science (or at least discussing it :))

What are your favorite discussions ever? Why were they so good? How did you keep up with them? Were you involved in those discussions?

My favorite discussions probably all revolve around philosophy and evolution. Causal determinism was a GREAT thread, with great participation. There were also many other threads very similar, but it was great fun to explore the implications of science- does QM randomness manifest itself up here, and since we can't control it, does it really matter? Free will?! What?!! That sort of stuff. I try and particpate, sure. Who knows if its' to the betterment or detriment of the thread, though! :)

Philosophy, theology, evolution, astronomy, social sciences.... I love 'em all. Except for the computer/tech one, it's just a little over my head. I do pop in from time to time, but rarely participate. I trust you all are doing a good job in there.

Regardless- thanks everyone for making this a great place to be!

Bump

Okay,

I need help from our membership. This should be fun, so please submit your entries, ok?
so... are Junior Moderators, Moderators, Gallery Curators, Editors, Administrators, and the Development Team (Listed in order of importance :shrug: ) all excluded or is post #3 my answer?

Okay,so... are Junior Moderators, Moderators, Gallery Curators, Editors, Administrators, and the Development Team (Listed in order of importance :shrug: ) all excluded or is post #3 my answer?

Everyone is included. That's why I didn't say that anyone was excluded. :wave:

I want to know how you guys feel, including Mod/Admin staff if they want to responsd. If you're not ok with posting it, just send me a PM.

favorite thing about hypography is: it's the way it is.

favorite members are turtle, because of his brotherly conduct.

ps2huang because his posts are awesome.

infamous for his infinite quatrains.

favorite staff: fish for such a broad musical horizon

tormod because he pwns and is a norwegian jazzist. plus the founder of dis here site web thing.

and the door mouse.

my favorite thread is the quatrain corner.

and the lounge is where i'm at.

I like the diversity. I like that we have so many different perspectives on so many different things - even the things I don't understand, if I read through the posts enough, I can learn from everybody else. I like that it goes from the complex math / physics / science to the philosophical; seems like we get to mess with all the different parts of the brain :D Hypography is a science in itself.

It is so hard to answer this, because I like different posters for different reasons (and I dislike certain parts about some posters, but really like their other traits.) I don't really get to choose my favorites for all of the reasons they might be my favorites... but I'll go with the overall :D

My favorite poster is Boerseun. I like his posts because I agree with every single thing I've seen him say so far, and often wish I'd been able to say it first or put it so eloquently.

BioChemist is also at the top of my list; I like the mix of science and theology and I feel that he does justice to both sides. I don't always agree with everything, but I like that he never seems to get upset or lash out at anyone for not adhering to his own opinions.

UncleAl is also one of my favorites, and this is what I mean by controversial for me. He can be abrasive, but his intellect and extreme atheism counterbalance the influx of closed-minded religious posters we seem to have had lately. I guess I like his posts because he usually is right when it counts, even if I disagree with his theological stance. :D

Irish makes the whole place warm and inviting, and when I get tired of hearing the absolutists arguing, she is the motherly voice of reason to put on the bandaid. :D

Orby - well, he's just one tripped out kinda guy, and once in awhile posts something that makes me think there really is a functioning brain in there somewhere :D He makes the lounge... feel like a lounge. He is like the caterpillar smoking the hookah and beckoning others to come to the lounge to hang out on the pillow-strewn floor with him.

C1ay does a good job taking care of things in his areas; jumps in to interject a thought or put people back in line when necessary. I also enjoy the articles he posts - always extremely interesting.

I didn't say Tormod, because I feel like that's a given. Tormod is always quick to interject with comments that seem to keep threads not only on topic, but in check when the (not seldom) flame wars flare up; when someone breaks the rules, it always seems like he's right there, paying attention as usual. (I wonder if he ever sleeps!)

One of my favorite discussions (of the many I enjoyed in the Philosophy/Humanities sector) was the "Smoking" issue thread. That was really fun to talk about and to hear so many different points of view from people in so many different cultures. I honestly don't know how I kept up with it; but it wasn't as crazy as some of the religious forums where it was getting 30 or 40 posts a day, so it wasn't that tough, really :D Yes, I was involved.

Well, it's odd to me that the forums I seem to have been involved in the most have not necessarily been my favorites; I get tired of the same old theological arguments most of the time, but once in awhile someone jumps in with something really thoughtful and interesting. So, the Theology forum has been (controversially, again) my favorite place recently. But, overall, Philosophy and Humanities takes the cake for me. It covers so many topics that interest me, and there we seem to have a little more of the "intellectual" side of theology than the fanatical or closed minded side - just seems a little milder. We get to talk about public policy and things like that - right up my alley.

I really enjoy the Lounge. Some of the regulars here have some pretty interesting things to say when they're not debating other topics. :D

I love that there is always something going on that make you think a bit about what and why you feel what you do, from theory to philosophy, there is always a moment for introspection.

Bio- Always a well thought out answer. He stands his ground and discusses well, yet not blind to conflicting opinions or evidence.

Orb- Kinda like having a little brother, a self made, self medicating thinker.

bumab- It always seems to be you me and Bio spinning around an issue. Always a level head and a well informed voice.

Tormod- Hats off for getting the whole thing rolling.

C1ay- Fantastic. Has had the biggest impact on the feel of the board since I have been here. (not to slight all those that slaved over the new code for the facelift)

Irish- Kinda like having that older sister that played softball and some of the guys were scared of. :D

I unfortunately have not been able to be on here as much as I had in the past durring the summer, so I am sure I have missed many a great discussion.

Probably my favorite as of late is the "State Sanctioned Crime" thread. A great thread started that causes one to truly look upon yourself and history in a different POV that suddenly makes the fingrpointing a bit greyer.

Obviously the Earth Science Forum, seeing that I'm a mod on it.. Yet I love the philosophy, evolution, and social science forums as well.

Sharing the news :D

3? How can anyone pick just 3? Heck, I've got 30 on my buddy list! I do enjoy UncleAl and Freethinker's posts and I miss Buffy's input so I'll go with those.

Well if I've gotta pick 3 I'll go with Tormod, IrishEyes, Gahd and Killean for making this place what it is. (so what if I can't count)

Can't say I can pick three since I jump into so many here and there. Generally I like topics on the universe.

Astronomy/Cosmology, Physics/Mathematics because astronomy and math are probably the two hobbies I've enjoyed the longest.

Perhaps you will find these responses vaguely useful :D

Orby - well, he's just one tripped out kinda guy, and once in awhile posts something that makes me think there really is a functioning brain in there somewhere He makes the lounge... feel like a lounge. He is like the caterpillar smoking the hookah and beckoning others to come to the lounge to hang out on the pillow-strewn floor with him

Kinda like having a little brother, a self made, self medicating thinker.

it was nice to come home to this. i like knowing this is how people think of me. thanks guys.

it was nice to come home to this. i like knowing this is how people think of me. thanks guys.
I'd like to bump this thread along by saying, Orby, your also one of my favorite people here at Hypography. It's been my pleasure to have shared many a good laugh with you, I always enjoy hearing from you. Have a good one....................infamous.

I want to chime in here...I don't want to say who my favorite mods are because I think they all do a marvellous job. I think C1ay and Killean deserve mention for their hard work on news and development, respectively - as well as Alexander, of course. Irish for her cheerful iron fist. The rest for their dedication...Gahd, Aki, Bo and Sanctus especially for their long term work. Orb for his beautiful wit and music. Dark Mind for his enthusiasm. Fish, Bio, Qfwfq, and Boerseun for joining our team and finding their niches. Hm...anyone forgotten wins a gold medal.

Favorite users...wow, tough one. First of all, Turtle for his amazingly brotherly conduct and endless sharing of photos, ideas, drawings, charts. Uncle Al is one of my faves, both for his incredible wit and blatant ignorance of our rules at times. He has certainly turned that into an art :D . Erasmus00 has made an impression on me as well, for keeping a cool head and answering posts very well. I also hold infamous in high regard. Others...Geko, Buffy, ...ouch, there are so many names I'd like to mention. Alps (not a frequent visitor) for his help with quizzes etc. Tinny for his many good posts. Bumab, bartok, lindagarrette for insightful and questioning attitudes. And all those clever people I can't remember the nicks of at the moment. Oh, niviene and Little Bang comes to mind!

Of the newcomers I think coldcreation, CraigD and EWright are interesting folks. Coldc and EWright infuriate me at times, which I think is a good sign. Their persistent posting is welcome. I might appear not to like challenges but it is usually because I reply then don't find time to follow up...

As for what makes Hypography a great place to be for me is to see the evergrowing community spring into a life of it's own - all thanks to each and every one of our members.

Oh, and my favorite forum would be the news forum. Secondly the Lounge, which I rarely post in but always read - and my favorite all-time thread is Turtle's Katabatak thread. I have promised a composition and one day it will materialize.