Science Forums

The Bible and it's religion.

eMTee

Yes. And there's no reason it would be referring to angels, Boerseun. According to Enoch they were teaching sorcery, astronomy, and cosmetics which was bad. They also fornicated, which produced half-breeds, known as giants and men of renown. God then brought the flood because of it all. Now the fallen angels are bodiless demons awaiting judgement.

Hectic...

Maybe that's all that its about (apart from the hokey pokey, of course)

Read Ezekiel chapters 1 & 2. The Bible is about UFO's and aliens, dude...

this creature is just an example of God's power and magesty, this is eather an angel or God the Holy Spirit..though I would need to study.

This is not an alien, the Bible does not mention aliens to my understanding..that is the reason many Christians don't believe in aliens.

If someone was to see this, I could see them thinking UFOs and aliens

...just another example of how flexible the bible is - UFOlogists can even use it to prove their point. Yeti-mongers can use it to prove theirs. (giants, et al) Health nuts can use it to prove that its possible to reach 600 years, if only you followed a biblical diet. Naval architects can convert cubits and come up with a design for a ship that can ride a storm for a month and a half.

The bible can be used as justification for a lot of half-witted things like the above examples, it can be used for good and the betterment of society, but in my experience, the most vigorous bible-thumpers use it for bad.

...just another example of how flexible the bible is - UFOlogists can even use it to prove their point. Yeti-mongers can use it to prove theirs. (giants, et al) Health nuts can use it to prove that its possible to reach 600 years, if only you followed a biblical diet. Naval architects can convert cubits and come up with a design for a ship that can ride a storm for a month and a half.

The bible can be used as justification for a lot of half-witted things like the above examples, it can be used for good and the betterment of society, but in my experience, the most vigorous bible-thumpers use it for bad.

well...I supose poeple do quote verses as suport for their beliefs. that is what makes it the most mis-used and mis-interpreted religous book in the world.

well...I supose poeple do quote verses as suport for their beliefs. that is what makes it the most mis-used and mis-interpreted religous book in the world.

...and that being the case, how do you discern between interpretations to be discarded, and interpretations to be believed and worshipped?

The litmus test for your particular belief will be to die and to see if you go to Heaven/Nirvana/Valhalla/or reincarnate. And to die from natural causes, mind you, seeing as suicide is a sin. So you can't even force the experiment...

...and that being the case, how do you discern between interpretations to be discarded, and interpretations to be believed and worshipped?

The litmus test for your particular belief will be to die and to see if you go to Heaven/Nirvana/Valhalla/or reincarnate. And to die from natural causes, mind you, seeing as suicide is a sin. So you can't even force the experiment...

DO you disern between interpretations? or take each one and put them in the same catagory and see that it's all one big mess?

somomone might quote the verse Matthew 5:38 "You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tootth,'' to suport their personal revenge, but is this what the Bible sayin? not here..they tend to leave out ''You have heard that it was said..'' and dont put in the verse after that, which is 39. But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.'' I have seen some pretty wacko T.V. preachers...you can tell by their personalities, ways of doing things, attitudes and interpretations of scripture. I'm not saying I'm always correct, but one thing I know for sure, and that the Lord is my Savior.

...just another example of how flexible the bible is - UFOlogists can even use it to prove their point. Yeti-mongers can use it to prove theirs. (giants, et al) Health nuts can use it to prove that its possible to reach 600 years, if only you followed a biblical diet.

I thought you were versed in the biblical text... "Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." - Gen 6:3 With a good diet, excercise and genetics, one may live to be 120 years old, but the days of the 600 year old person ended with the flood.

Once again I agree with you, B. It seems like there are some who interpret the bible in good ways, and yet there are always so many who use it for whatever convenience they can twist out of it. Literal when it suits them to be literal; not literal when they don't agree with it, but somehow, it's a perfect book, and to question anything in it means you are attacking it. Not many can seem to find a balance - a few here, bumab, Bio, Irish, infamous - who are believers but still have brains, can use logic to say why they believe as they do and respect the beliefs of others. As I have said before, though, there is no arguing with logic against a person without any, and that's why those things probably don't belong in this forum (not to mention why we have said the same things over and over, just with a different title at the top of the thread). Those of us (myself, that is) who aren't opposed to Christianity (and might even accept it some day, at least, as I perceive it to be right and not as anyone else will define it) are turned off by the absolutists. Good for those who have found their religion and believe; but religious absolutists don't belong here, in my humble opinion.

Once again I agree with you, B. It seems like there are some who interpret the bible in good ways, and yet there are always so many who use it for whatever convenience they can twist out of it. Literal when it suits them to be literal; not literal when they don't agree with it, but somehow, it's a perfect book, and to question anything in it means you are attacking it. Not many can seem to find a balance - a few here, bumab, Bio, Irish, infamous - who are believers but still have brains, can use logic to say why they believe as they do and respect the beliefs of others. As I have said before, though, there is no arguing with logic against a person without any, and that's why those things probably don't belong in this forum (not to mention why we have said the same things over and over, just with a different title at the top of the thread). Those of us (myself, that is) who aren't opposed to Christianity (and might even accept it some day, at least, as I perceive it to be right and not as anyone else will define it) are turned off by the absolutists. Good for those who have found their religion and believe; but religious absolutists don't belong here, in my humble opinion.

I hope you are not lumping the Christians I've read here with the Muslims who are killing people because they disagree with the Koran? None of the rhetoric here implies that we hate you or anyone who doesn't share our faith in Biblical infallibility. Could man screw up interpreting The Bible? Sure. A very recent example of this is the newest NIV version which has thrown out all references to "God's right hand" because left handed people would be offended... it also removes all references to God being a masculine being because some women might be offended. THAT is man getting involved. Whereas the King James, NASB and original NIV versions are true to the papyrus texts which have been found dating back as far as 70 AD.

I have found a far more prevalent form of close-minded religious behaviour on this forum, and it has nothing to do with a belief in God. Several threads here are discussing the religion of Evolution... try posting anything which brings the proponent's faith in that religion in question and look out.!!

... I've read here with the Muslims who are killing people because they disagree with the Koran? ...

Oh really? where did you read this? I have never heard this ever happening in history. What I hear is people not agreeing with Quran, and then trying to stop Muslims from believing in the Quran by "Liberating them," then out in defence Muslims do Jihad (struggle) against the enemy.

If Muslims meet someone who doesnt agree with the Quran, they wouldnt kill them they would let them live and let them practice whatever they want, and I am not basing this off current societies. A good example of this is the Automom Empire.

I not trying to be mean, but just dont say anything about other religions without basic knowledge. You can even at least give some sources to back up your claims.

I have studied many religions, the main ones I have studied was Christianity and Islam (because its the fastest growing religion)

Oh really? where did you read this? I have never heard this ever happening in history. What I hear is people not agreeing with Quran, and then trying to stop Muslims from believing in the Quran by "Liberating them," then out in defence Muslims do Jihad (struggle) against the enemy.

If Muslims meet someone who doesnt agree with the Quran, they wouldnt kill them they would let them live and let them practice whatever they want, and I am not basing this off current societies. A good example of this is the Automom Empire.

I not trying to be mean, but just dont say anything about other religions without basic knowledge. You can even at least give some sources to back up your claims.

I have studied many religions, the main ones I have studied was Christianity and Islam (because its the fastest growing religion)

do you read "voice of the marders?