Science Forums

The Bible and it's religion.

eMTee

Jerryo - nice to hear somebody on my side of the fence!

I agree with what you said 100% (welcome to Hypography, by the way)

In my opinion, we have to see life for what it is. A joining of DNA via two sex-cells, the one immobile and fat, the other small and active, being driven by a little flagellum.

You are born, you grow up, you grow old, you die. Live (and die) with it.

Truth like orbits, science, etc. is empirical. Truth (capital T) in the moral sense of the word, is not. Morality and science live in different worlds. The gears don't mesh. And because the gears don't mesh, people tend to blame the one or the other for the busted gearbox we have. Meantime - it's two perfectly workable gears - just don't try to make them work together; the design doesn't allow it. Make them mesh with gears built to compatible specs.

Once we're dead, we're dead. Mincemeat. Worm-food. Fertilizer. The reason that religions are so important, is because people have an innate fear of death. Which is a good thing - the instinct for self-preservation makes a species live longer. The fear of death can be soothed if we think that there's something on the other side. This is such an effective tool for religion that it's possible to completely overcome that fear. Suicide bombers, 9/11 are cases in point. It also goes to show that its a very silly thing for a species to overcome that fear, seeing as those bombers have effectively and completely removed themselves from the gene pool. It therefore stands to reason that terrorism (or in this case religious extremety) will be selected against. :)

The sad thing is that people shy away from that simple fact. Death is death, final. Like a little expired goldfish, you get flushed down the Great Big Toilet in the Sky to be seen no more. And belief in angels etc. is just as silly as ancestor-worship. We wish to know that our ancestors, friends and family who've died are still 'around', and looking out for us. We wish for them to grow little wings and sit on fluffy clouds playing harp. It's all about human insecurities, like toddlers having the freedom to do what they want, but always having an adult in the background somewhere to catch them when they fall off the swing.

If we realise that death is final, we know that justice and righteousness exist only on this planet during our lifetimes. What came before, even two thousand years ago on a wooden cross in the Eastern Mediterranean is immaterial - it's past. What is to come is immaterial - it's the future. We have to be kind and good and aspire to righteousness right now, because this, the here and now is the only time ever that we are in a position to do anything about it.

Doing good deeds expecting a reward after your death is hypocritical.

Doing good deeds expecting nothing in return is noble, honourable, and stakes a big, luminous neon-lit claim right on top of Mount Morality.

science is a program, and programs have to be inteligently designed, not randomly put togeather by axcident.

Science is a self-correcting, self-analyzing continuous attempt to approach the asymptote of Truth. (You can quote me on this :) )

The mere fact that it is going on asymptotically shows that its not perfect, and never will be. That's the nature of it. Its evolving towards a line it will never quite meet. It wasn't designed or programmed, it came out of itself.

There was nothing. Not only was there nothing, there was nobody to observe the fact that there was nothing. Not only wasn't there anybody to see it, there wasn't anywhere for him to stand. And then *KABOOM* there it was. This is not more or less ludicrous than your opinion. There's just less unneeded detail, and is a position that's closer to the asymptote on the Graph of Truth. You see - science being self-correcting tend to discard positions thats further from the asymptote and embrace positions that brings it ever closer. Religion was 'mene mene tekel ufarsined' by science, and was found wanting, and discarded. But present your position in such a way that it brings us closer to the line, and we'll scrutinize it once more.

*Boerseun scrutinises open-ended nothing/everything* ... heh ... he looks like Willie too ... (which is a good thing!)

… tell us about nothing JerryO … I'm a curious little monkey

(finally! someone who makes no sense, and doesn’t then pretend that he does … heh, we seem to have an honest man over here peeps! quick, crash-tackle and get a rope on him before he gets away, we may never see another!)

Oh yeah, g'day all

Yes

sit and Look at your cats or dogs.

Don't own any cats or dogs.

They are the Ultimate Observer.
Nope, I think the ultimate observer is the internet, we are in fact observing and being observed by our participation within this technology.

Who are You?
Just a single observer like you MEL555

Dont faint.
Don't worry about me MEL, I'm quite a healthy individual.

:)