Science Forums

The Bible and it's religion.

eMTee

If somone was coming to you or your family to kill, then I say, sure..kill the guy, I would probably.

We don't live in a head-full of hypothetical what-ifs, moral-justifications and generally bad wiring.

Have a look at the desk, the floor and the window; this is where you really live, you are what you do.

(and now you've leaped into tangents of death penalties and gun propaganda ... hehe ... glad you're not my neighbour or father ... stick to the topic like the nice moderator said please)

"Thou shalt not kill" that meant do not kill. But the Bible also (to my understanding) says "there is a time to kill" one thing about justified war is the question "why?"

Should you kill the guy that broke in the house and killed your wife?

Thankfully?!

revenge should not be a reason to kill another. I am not against the death penalty, I suport it.

If somone was coming to you or your family to kill, then I say, sure..kill the guy, I would probably.

So what do you think? Not what you've been told to think, but what do you think? You just said that revenge is not a motive for killing, but support the electric chair? This is incongruant (much like "eye for an eye" and "turn the other cheek").

you guys are talking morality.

you will fail again.

Did you know that you wont

do anything wrong if you

dont engage the high-capacity movement of thought?

That high-capacity movement is the SELF.

The self does not want to die.

Thats why it talks about God and death.

It is misery.

Dont worry, it will be there always. It is memory.

Your understanding of the self will change.

Then you will see the NO-DEATH.

THAT is ever-present...right NOW...just LOOK.

Dont engage.

We call it silence.

Go slow NOW.

Have a LOOK.

IT is simple. Dont panic. IT is smooth.

:) Hope you don't mind? Another thought I had on this after I replied was that I was assuming there is a 'loving' relationship between most families - but sometimes there is not.

If there is real 'love' then of course the 'instinctive' reaction is to 'kill the bastard' in order to protect the family - however, where there is not real love and caring (which to my mind is usually the fault of bad parenting because it's the parents who set the tone of the relationship) then that instinct is not operating.

:) ... so, ... true love motivates violent killing? ... :eek:

:) I don't think 'thou shalt not kill' means 'thou shalt not defend thyself' - I think God wants us to use common sense - but then in those kinds of situations 'instinct' takes over and I don't believe that God would hold people accountable for a subconcious action.

The Old Testament is full of stories of the Israelites needing to kill to preserve their lives, it was kill or be killed.

:) ... so what does the “turn the other cheek” thing mean? ... :)

Was Jesus just joking? He seemed to mean it though :eek: .

Oh my … do christians really care what Jesus said?

(I note the Old Testament being dredged up again ... you are in the New Testament age)

:eek: I don't think 'thou shalt not kill' means 'thou shalt not defend thyself' - I think God wants us to use common sense - but then in those kinds of situations 'instinct' takes over and I don't believe that God would hold people accountable for a subconcious action.

LOL ... why? Courts of Law do. :)

Even unintended results of driving can put you in jail for 10 years.

Jesus said that his words were spirit and truth and the flesh means nothings. We focuse on the flesh hoping to redeem it but Jesus said crucify it. There are no spiritual discrepancys between the old and new testament. the old testament is life poetry while the new tetament is more explanitory. No one can keep the standards the Bible sets down and that was Gods intention, thus our need of salvation. The yeast of the pharasies is that continuing attempt on our part to meet those requirements in the flesh. Think of sin as your engine warning light, when it controls your life it means your heart is not right with God. If you walk in the spirit you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. It does not mean apply more will power it means seek God. "I will write my laws on their hearts"

Lets stop reading the Bible so we can fix the other guy and read it so God can fix us. Hello! I'm the one who is stiff necked and heard hearted, I'm Korah, I'm Achan, Saul, and every other bible caracture with flaws and failures that God loves anyway and will redeem our lives if we let him.

A man's own folly destroys his life yet his heart rages against the Lord. Prov 19:3

Guest loarevalo
There are many denominations claiming to be "the Church" and to be "Christian", but how many are actually fallowing the teachings of the very book they base their faith on? "Christianity" is one of biggest religion in the world..coming in at least second or third (to my understanding).

If we believed on the Bible, we would understand that there is only ONE church of God, though with many congregations, which congregations are not entirely independent, as they were all under the direction of the apostles.

If we were to look today for The Church of God, I think we should look for the Church as it was established by Christ in the first century. The great clue I would think leading us to that Church would be: apostles. The Church of God has apostles. Does anyone agree with me?

Was Paul crucified for you? It was Christs gospel not Pauls. Paul was only a messenger. Anyone who trusts Jesus and follows him has salvation and all our petty little doctrines that divide us are meaningless. Don't let other people tell you what the Bible means, read it yourself and let God talk to you. No one will get to heaven on another persons revelation. If you don't meet Jesus in person while your alive you will hear him say "depart I never knew you" Nobody has a secret key to Gods word and you don't need an earthly priest to show him to you. Christs death made access to "As many as recieve him" Our unwillingness is the only thing keeping us from God.

I have been studying the Bible now for 12 years

12 years? lol, it does not take that long to work out what the Bible is about. ;)

You've just in essence stated that the Bible means whatever you interpret it to mean (hope your lord concurs).

I'm just a bit more direct about it all and am prepared to call it a serial concretion of adopted and self-made delusions. ;)

The real problem is ‘christians’ want to plant that same trash in everyone’s mind, and actually expect people to swallow it, hook, line and sinker, when they don’t apply it themselves.

(can you say “hypocrisy”?)

So what do you think? Not what you've been told to think, but what do you think? You just said that revenge is not a motive for killing, but support the electric chair? This is incongruant (much like "eye for an eye" and "turn the other cheek").
I do not go on killing sprees, I am looking at the situation at hand, and what I would possably do. If I was your neighbor, I would be your neighbor. You would not have to waste your time worrying about me going on a "death to the neighbors" kinda atitude.

When it comes to the Death Penalty, the Bible is not against it, in fact in Exodus I think it gives laws and some of the penalties of breaking them is death, and the Old Testament false prophets where stoned to death. I think you should get to know and understand the teaching of the Bible, and what it is trying to say before you criticize it. you Know that abortion is murder? Now I am not totaly against abortion, but I am by no means a suporter of it but only in certain situations, such as if birth would put the mother in danger of death.

The Bible says "thou shalt not kill", That is part of the 10 commandments.. If you kill a person you broke it, regardless of what reason. This is very easy for me to understand, but very hard for me to explain.

When it comes to the Death Penalty, the Bible is not against it, in fact in Exodus I think it gives laws and some of the penalties of breaking them is death, and the Old Testament false prophets where stoned to death.

Yea, but didn't Christ say something like "he who has not sinned throw the first stone." The death penalty is against what Christ teaches, and I thought the whole point of Christianity is that Christ's new testament outweighs the hebrew scriptures. Thats why you don't have to sacrifice anymore, or ritual purification, and you can eat pork and all that other stuff.

-Will

If you look at the Bible as God's personal poem to you instead of relying on you own powers of reason to figure it out, you can hear God's voice. Jesus clearly told his disiples who would betray him but none of them caught what he was saying. Mary looked at Jesus in the garden and did not recognizie him. Two men walked with him on the road to Emaus and did not recognize him. None of these people where stupid but did not know things of God until God revealed it to them. "Humble youself in the sight of the Lord and he will lift you up" No amount of Bible school and human wisdom will figure it out. "Unless you become as a little child you will not enter the kingdom" A high IQ is a disadvantage in knowing Christ, it causes us to try to understand and solve all of God's riddles instead of beleive them and let him change our hearts.