Science Forums

The Bible and it's religion.

eMTee

:) The universe is concrete in the sense it is made up of 'matter'.

Reality is (regarding the earth) what you can see, touch and feel, regarding the universe (what we can observe) - alternate realities are interesting when it comes to science fiction but we need something more 'concrete' when it comes to trying to figure out how everything works on the earth and in the universe. There are 'natural laws' which dictate how everything works. Look at nature and study it and you will be close to reality.

..i am gonna go and maybe start a new thread

i need to dig up my brain science books before i do

if i recall..the human brain omits and abstracts 'form' out of 'emptiness'

matter is condensed emptiness

einstein said something also along these lines (i will produce his quote)

keep putting together atoms and poof!...you have an object,

the human brain works in the same fashion

mainly in the form of associative memory and knowledge

(yes...i am too lazy to hit the shift key)

thanks for your reply

Ahem.

<Attempt at cleaning of throat resulting in a nasty rasping cough>

Boys and girls - may I draw your collective attention to the topic of the thread, and implore you folks to stick to it? And oh yeah - the speed limit is 50. Please stick to it. And no cellphones in the vehicle, please. And picking your nose is fine, as long as you don't eat your boogers. That's just plain gross.

@MEL555,

Heavy metal? It's not ... Faith No More ... is it?

i havent listened enough yet.

The words are hard to understand.

i still like the great energy of expression

i hear there.

i dont have the *right words at this time.

It seems to be a good expression of

"shut up and F**K, get a life!" :)

There are many denominations claiming to be "the Church" and to be "Christian", but how many are actually fallowing the teachings of the very book they base their faith on? "Christianity" is one of biggest religion in the world..coming in at least second or third (to my understanding).

Any questions about anything, or comments?

I read at another forum, some two months ago, a 'christian' asserting it was natural for 'christians' to fight wars modern wars and expounding the paradigm of the 'Just War'. Then a bunch of other Christians agreed with him, and none objected.

At that point I mentioned that early Christians were fed to the lions because the wimps refused to be a part of the murderous roman state war machine, as their beliefs didn't allow for catering to the morality of state killing and brutal empire maintaining, or partaking in the accepted moral behaviours of the typical bloody-minded Roman urban 'Homer', of that time and place.

Then their true colours came out. There were 'christians' expressly stating a principle of a 'just war', and said it was a christian notion! :)

I asked where it said this in the Bible? :)

Oh dear, they couldn't answer it, they just said to look at the Old Testament, it's full of wars which the 'prophets' justified according to God's directions.

I said there are false prophets you realise, and that the Bible, actually, God directly commanded, "Thou Shalt not Kill”. (he even went to the trouble of personally scribing it into a stone tablet, with his own pinky, so no one could change it, nor misunderstand what the command of God was on the matter)

The 'christians' went berserk! They said it was fine to kill in a 'just war'. :rant:

I said, ok, so what does "thou shalt not kill" mean then? :eek:

They said I had the wrong version of the Bible, and obviously had not read it.

I said it was a standard King James Bible that christian people the world over had been reading for centuries, and that I read it daily for four years, when a teen, until I realised that it was the manifesto for social and political control of a savage and expansionist goat-herding society, and that Jesus was Killed because he directly challenged that political power structure.

They said my Bible was written wrongly and that much improved versions are available today. :)

In essence, they want to kill and are determined to find a pseudo ‘christian’ reasoning or translation with which to do so, though of course, there isn't such an excuse within the Christian New Testament.

I asked where Jesus said killing people was ok, or even in some circumstances? Or where the Christian new testament church leaders ever espoused nor entertained a doctrine of a ‘just war’, or any physical combat of any kind? :eek:

They said Peter had a sword in the Garden of Gethsemane and had used it to defend Jesus. :eek:

I said Jesus rebuked Peter for using it, pointing out to him that if you kill you will be killed. (duh!)

They said killing was fine in a ‘just war’ and that God would not hold it against any true believer, in that situation, and that this was a well established Christian principle! I asked them to show me the Christian New Testament definition or doctrine of a ‘Just War’, in the New Testament itself.

The ‘christians’ had no answer to this. :eek:

They had never really been interested in what the Bible said, or didn’t say.

So no, modern ‘christians’ are token ‘believers’, but only as long as they agree with what the Bible says (much as Islam believers in that particular socio-political ‘muslim’ structure of an archaic goat-herd’s society), and if they don’t they will twist that ‘religion’ (or any other) into any barbarous monstrosity that suits their ideological world-view and desires.

I’ve come into contact with a lot of very nice, and not so nice ‘christian’ folk during my life but have never met one which was not chronically and obviously hypocritical and operated in contravention of actually doctinally established Christian principles. :xx:

I read at another forum, some two months ago, a 'christian' asserting it was natural for 'christians' to fight wars modern wars and expounding the paradigm of the 'Just War'. Then a bunch of other Christians agreed with him, and none objected.

At that point I mentioned that early Christians were fed to the lions because the wimps refused to be a part of the murderous roman state war machine, as their beliefs didn't allow for catering to the morality of state killing and brutal empire maintaining, or partaking in the accepted moral behaviours of the typical bloody-minded Roman urban 'Homer', of that time and place.

Then their true colours came out. There were 'christians' expressly stating a principle of a 'just war', and said it was a christian notion! :rant:

I asked where it said this in the Bible? :)

Oh dear, they couldn't answer it, they just said to look at the Old Testament, it's full of wars which the 'prophets' justified according to God's directions.

I said there are false prophets you realise, and that the Bible, actually, God directly commanded, "Thou Shalt not Kill”. (he even went to the trouble of personally scribing it into a stone tablet, with his own pinky, so no one could change it, nor misunderstand what the command of God was on the matter)

The 'christians' went berserk! They said it was fine to kill in a 'just war'. :)

I said, ok, so what does "thou shalt not kill" mean then? :eek:

They said I had the wrong version of the Bible, and obviously had not read it.

I said it was a standard King James Bible that christian people the world over had been reading for centuries, and that I read it daily for four years, when a teen, until I realised that it was the manifesto for social and political control of a savage and expansionist goat-herding society, and that Jesus was Killed because he directly challenged that political power structure.

They said my Bible was written wrongly and that much improved versions are available today. :)

In essence, they want to kill and are determined to find a pseudo ‘christian’ reasoning or translation with which to do so, though of course, there isn't such an excuse within the Christian New Testament.

I asked where Jesus said killing people was ok, or even in some circumstances? Or where the Christian new testament church leaders ever espoused nor entertained a doctrine of a ‘just war’, or any physical combat of any kind? :eek:

They said Peter had a sword in the Garden of Gethsemane and had used it to defend Jesus. :eek:

I said Jesus rebuked Peter for using it, pointing out to him that if you kill you will be killed. (duh!)

They said killing was fine in a ‘just war’ and that God would not hold it against any true believer, in that situation, and that this was a well established Christian principle! I asked them to show me the Christian New Testament definition or doctrine of a ‘Just War’, in the New Testament itself.

The ‘christians’ had no answer to this. :xx:

They had never really been interested in what the Bible said, or didn’t say.

So no, modern ‘christians’ are token ‘believers’, but only as long as they agree with what the Bible says (much as Islam believers in that particular socio-political ‘muslim’ structure of an archaic goat-herd’s society), and if they don’t they will twist that ‘religion’ (or any other) into any barbarous monstrosity that suits their ideological world-view and desires.

I’ve come into contact with a lot of very nice, and not so nice ‘christian’ folk during my life but have never met one which was not chronically and obviously hypocritical and operated in contravention of actually doctinally established Christian principles. :)

I won't say that you have a mistranslation of the Bible

"They said my Bible was written wrongly and that much improved versions are available today. :hyper: " if they where refering to the King James version, I totaly do not agree with them, and that version is like the most acurate version in the English language, much better than most modern translations.

I will get back to this interesting question later.

:) Some madman just walked into your house and started shooting at your family - what would you do???

Turn the other cheek?

Forgive?

Prey for?

Convert?

Cast out a demon?

Feed him loaves and fishes?

Confer with Moses and Enoch?

Thankfully I am not a Christian, so that question does not trouble me, but as the Christian saying goes, “ … what would Jesus do”?

One somehow suspects if this occurred to Jesus’s family he would not apply ballistic body-armour and pick-up a Javelin missile, or strap an F-18E strikefighter to his butt, whilst expounding an imaginary doctrine of ‘Just War’.

Would be somewhat out of character. His priorities and resulting behaviours were notably different to the usual reactions, no?

I doubt one could predict what the real Christ-ian himself might do.

"Thou shalt not kill" that meant do not kill. But the Bible also (to my understanding) says "there is a time to kill" one thing about justified war is the question "why?"

Should you kill the guy that broke in the house and killed your wife?

Thankfully I am not a Christian, so that question does not trouble me,

Thankfully?!

revenge should not be a reason to kill another. I am not against the death penalty, I suport it.

If somone was coming to you or your family to kill, then I say, sure..kill the guy, I would probably.