Science Forums

Chance and evolution

eMTee

hmmm? what verses?

I found it in 1 Samuel 2:8 where it says "...for the pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them."

It says in the Psalms a few times that the Earth can not be moved. Perhaps this is just some poetic way of saying something else, but then how do we know which ones are poetic or not?

A flat Earth? Matthew 4:8: "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;"

And I do believe that Noah took also dinasours on the ark..I believe in the flood story, here is some reasons... becaose there has been evidence found in goelogy of the Earth (though you say no to that), and ancient stories found of such an event all over the globe, several of which are very similar to the Bible's story.

This is said to have happened 4500 years ago, right? Exactly what reason do you have to believe that there were dinosaurs alive at that time, and that they lived at the same time as humans?

The problems with the Noah and his ark are so many that it's amazing that it's still believed.

* Not enough water. Where did it come from, where did it go?

* A giant ship built by a 600 year old man who was not an engineer, with the technology of that time? Right...

* How did he gather up all the animals?

* Considering not all organisms that has ever been alive were still in existence at the supposed time of the flood and ark, where did he get the dinosaurs from?

* How did they get back to their respective environments and how fast did that go? Shouldn't there be fossils and remains of polar bears and koalas where the ark stranded? After all, they probably reproduced while returning home.

* What happened to the other cultures around the world? Were they notified of this catastrophe? Were they brought to the ark and then returned to jumpstart their civilisations once again?

...Perhaps this is just some poetic way of saying something else, but then how do we know which ones are poetic or not?...
Ooh- nail on head here. Actually, the surprise is that we typically can tell which ones are poetic/hyperbolic/metaphoriocal/phenomemal/idiomatic in contemporary usage. If I said "Gee, SG, I think you're nuts" you would have very little difficulty understanding my intent. You would rule out any association to hard shelled tree fruit, you would also rule out any reference to hexagonal threaded fasteners. Further, you would usually assume not only the idiom about insanity, you would also immediately infer that I was being hyperbolic. This is all contained in the notion of "normal usage". For text that is ancient, it is really problematic to establish normal usage. The more contempraneous texts we have, the better we get at the hermeneutics (interpretation). The old stuff is really, really hard to interpret. But we know for certain that all of the literary devices I mentioned above occur regularly in the text. This text was written in normal language, and Hebrew and Greek both use these devices regularly. Hebrew (the Old Testament) is particularly replete with them.

By the way, I don't think you're nuts.

Not enough water. Where did it come from, where did it go?

* A giant ship built by a 600 year old man who was not an engineer, with the technology of that time? Right...

* How did he gather up all the animals?

* Considering not all organisms that has ever been alive were still in existence at the supposed time of the flood and ark, where did he get the dinosaurs from?

* How did they get back to their respective environments and how fast did that go? Shouldn't there be fossiles and remains of polar bears and koalas where the ark stranded? After all, they probably reproduced while returning home.

* What happened to the other cultures around the world? Were they notified of this catastroph? Were they brought to the ark and then returned to jumpstart their civilisations once again?

When flattened, so that there isn't any deep gorges or realy high mountains, when all the icebergs are melted, how high would the water rise? the water came from the fermament and under the ground..the earth's structure and environment was totaly diffrent from today...the land rose and the water drained into the deep gorges.

As the environment was totaly differnt and so was the atmosphere..things would live for extremely longer than in a post-flood environment, and grow enormously larger (you will read that ever sence the flood, the lifespan dwindled down untill in around the 70s). Noah did what God asked..lets say God gave him the blueprint, he did the construction.

Noah didn't have to worry about gathering the animals...God brought them to the ark..and brought them into the ark, God also shut the door.

The dinasaurs where alive during man, and during Noah's time...God also brought the dinasaurs to him...did you consider the possibility that all the animals on the ark where young animals? And that not all the animals where put on the ark..only the ones that wouldn't survive the flood...and God did not need every kind of every kind of animal (consider the dog). I believe that everything created, was created all together, and not years apart.

I believe that with God, anything is possible..if you look deep and hard enough, you might find remains of animals that are not native to the environments.. They never got (back) to their respective environments, but they traveled, and found environments that they could survive in...land bridges I believe where available, God knew what he was doing. people bring animals to other continents is known already..and still do.

It took more that 100 years to build the ark, and in that time, Noah warned people. I believe that before the flood, there was mainly one continent, and that most of the water was underground and in the canopy.. and in that long period of time, he became quite popular, so that everyone basicly heard of the flood by the time the ark was finished.

PS. Noah was 600 yeass old by the time the ark was finished, and the flood began. The door stayed for a while after they got in (as I understand).

I wander how fish get in the way of this?

This is said to have happened 4500 years ago, right? Exactly what reason do you have to believe that there were dinosaurs alive at that time, and that they lived at the same time as humans?

By what means do you bate things?

I believe that God created the universe, and everything on Earth quickly

look,

nothing you say now will matter now that fish totally cleared the whole ark story up.

don't bother fighting.

plus the things you claim in the above post you have no proof for, and they are ridiculous claims. yuck.

plus the things you claim in the above post you have no proof for, and they are ridiculous claims. yuck.

Tell me about "Nebraska man" and his "wife" and that famous lizard/bird fossil baught from a chinese man?

It took more that 100 years to build the ark, and in that time, Noah warned people. I believe that before the flood, there was mainly one continent, and that most of the water was underground and in the canopy.. and in that long period of time, he became quite popular, so that everyone basicly heard of the flood by the time the ark was finished.

I wonder why God went to all the trouble of creating that fantastic scene when it would have been easier just to start over again, given that he didn't get it right the first time even though he is all powerful. It also seems terribly cruel and unjust to drown all those animals (and people). It's also puzzling that he tried to make it appear as the flood could have been a natural occurrance, to fool people into thinking he didn't actually do it after all. Seems to me the omnipotent, omnicient, omnipresent god is really just omnisilly.

because that is not what the Bible says...and that is completely incorrect, and thus the claim is fake.

And does or did that religion at one time teach and believe that the Earth was flat, and setting on a turtle? The Bible never taught such a thing.

AHAHAHA, Only fishteacher would bring discworld into a religious debate.

..in fact, have you ever run into any random mutation causing better things? such an uplifting as monkeys to man.
What about sixtoes cats? they seem better adapted to walking and such, what with their six toes and all.

What about sixtoes cats? they seem better adapted to walking and such, what with their six toes and all.
Ok... I know about those kind of mutations..and possably some of the extra limbs can be found useful. But is its genetic code improve or did somthing malfunction and creat an imperfection in it's genetic structure...and will it's offspring continue, to create a better fit more complex and inteligent animal outside the cat line?

Note: (A random unset thaught of the moment) With every time and way people find out how to intrebreed animals to get other types...they find another way to decrease the amount of animals needed to be on the ark.

...I would just like to reiterate that many conservative Christians who believe the Bible is true take a lot of these texts as poetic and hyperbolic...

You are apostate Bio! You are not going to be Raptured! You are probably going to go to Hell for not accepting the Bible as the literal word of God! You are just exposing your hatred for true Christians (not the fake Evolution-apeasing kind like you)!

Tongue-in-cheek-Angels-on-shoulders,

Buffy

Actually there was an interesting blurb in the June SciAm about RNA's role in *reversing* some wierd mutations, like the six toed cat. Might have some implications for explaining punctuated equilibrium...

Cheers,

Buffy

Mutations sometimes do create diffrent kind of animals, such as with dogs creating diffrent kind of dogs and cats and mice and so on, but mice always are mice, or rodent and cats are always cats, and dogs the same way..and so on. but you never have found any links of any animal turning into any other thing besides in their relm, and that is not evolution.

Evolution is one thing turning into a completely diffrent thing. the atheism in this subject says there is no god, and finds only science to try to explain how it can be so.

They say they need another "Einstein" in science, because the mathomatics are being stretched to their limits, and they cannot think of any other way to do mathematics, to be able to explain things. the only other person that could possibly match up to him they say, was Isaac Newton...they both believed in creation threw inteligent design...and I know that Einstien believed in one God..but neither of their own beliefs seemed to get in the way of science.

Mutations sometimes do create diffrent kind of animals, such as with dogs creating diffrent kind of dogs and cats and mice and so on, but mice always are mice, or rodent and cats are always cats, and dogs the same way..and so on. but you never have found any links of any animal turning into any other thing besides in their relm, and that is not evolution.

Evolution is one thing turning into a completely diffrent thing. the atheism in this subject says there is no god, and finds only science to try to explain how it can be so.

So why do snakes have pelvic girdles? Did god in his wisdom think they needed them?

Why are all land vertebrates tetrapods?

Why are do most multi-cellular organism have an internal chemistry much like that of the oceans (even the fresh water fish that have to continually pee to counteract osmosis)?

Why are some fossils older than others? Should they all not date back to the flood?(oops...things don't fossilize that quickly).

If this is the work of a god, he should have been fired. To create life and end up with only about a 1% survival rate is pretty poor.

If this is the work of a god, he should have been fired. To create life and end up with only about a 1% survival rate is pretty poor.
I encurage you to go out into space, and create your own little universe, and see if it works. of corse I'll give you the option of using the material that God made.

The universe is not simple enough to have been created threw evolution, and the Earth is not full of creatures 'in Star Wars', 'Star Trak' or any other such ideas, so it is not weard enough to have evolutionary suport. God made it the way he wanted...and I have no problem with that.

I encurage you to go out into space, and create your own little universe, and see if it works. of corse I'll give you the option of using the material that God made.

man can not do this. what material that god made? sorry pal, we invented god right here on earth and placed the thought of him into time. after humans are gone, god is gone. :D

The universe is not simple enough to have been created threw evolution, and the Earth is not full of creatures 'in Star Wars', 'Star Trak' or any other such ideas, so it is not weard enough to have evolutionary suport. God made it the way he wanted...and I have no problem with that.

the universe is extremely complex, you are right. and earth actually is full of fascinating creatures, you're just used to them. when you go see a movie with aliens, they are new, you've never seen them before. but when you see a picture of a giraffe you think nothing of it. imagine never seeing a giraffe, then seeing one!! how insane would that be!? :)

we made god the way we wanted.

and we wanted god to make things how he wanted.

so we gave the thought of god infinite freedom.

because us humans were lazy back when we didn't know anything. :D