Science Forums

Chance and evolution

eMTee

According to the "theory of natural selection" changes occur randomly in a population, so by this, could they be saying that mutations occur randomly or evolution.. idk if im making any sense whatsoever, thats y i debate whether or not they are the same

Evolution is the theory of one thing turning into a completely diffrent thing...such as a fish into a mouse. there is no evidence of this happening..the only "evidence" for this is threw trying to explain mutations. this is the extent that athiests take it

I do not believe in evolution whatsoever, but I'm not an expert at science.

That's like saying (if you and your offspring live your life waving your arms around in the air, then down the line, your kids are going to be born with stretched and deformed arms and hands.

if my *offspring* and I waved our arms around our entire life, *down the road my children* would have deformaties... you mean my wife right, not my children

(descendants), I couldnt think of the word. you and your wife...or it can just be you..and you might have your kids like that..but sence evolution requires 1,000,000s of years..it might take longer that your own kids.

I dont believe in divine intervention... How could evolution make a species change from something as a fish to a mouse, would that disprove darwins theory? i think not, because we (humans) are very similar to monkeys in the way we are classified, (i do not know if we "evolved" from monkeys, i know there are other theories of evolution but i haven't read into them very much) but i doubt an act of god is what is changing things on earth

I don't understand your argument, Buff....I am not sure why you see a set of God's behavior and attitudinal prefrences as evidence for His desire to send folks away.
You keep thinking I'm arguing my beliefs when I'm usually pointing out the inconsistency of various beliefs! I'm a, dare I say it, "Devil's Advocate"....
Do remember that NO ONE has EVER complied with the first commandment. You know, the one that Jesus said was most important?
Yeah, I know, and at the same time, many of these extremist religious views do imply that *only they* are the ones who truly obey this commandment and accept that God exists and he is the one responsible for all that is good ("...the one that brought you out of Egypt"). I think that's a bad thing sociologically in that it creates, intensifies and perpetuates divisions among groups in society, which is good for the sect but bad for humanity. That's why I argue that moderate, mainstream religious beliefs (like yours is obviously) are good and have a purpose in society. The extremist and exclusionary sects approach of "just because you are not theistically pure in your beliefs you shall go to hell" is...shall we say, *evil*. emtee has basically said, if you are Muslim, you are following a false prophet and you will not be allowed into Heaven, which is a good example of what I'm talking about... Try to remember that "being Christian" does not put you and emtee in the same philosophical or religious boat...there is a world of difference between what the two of you espouse and believe, and I'm not just talking about Evolution....

Cheers,

Buffy

i believe in mutation, and the fact that the environment changes and we happen to mutate( in a beneficial way) when something happens that could harm us, sometimes leads me to believe that the the environment adapts to the species, not vice versa....AHHHHHHHHHH

Evolution is the theory of one thing turning into a completely diffrent thing... .... this is the extent that athiests take it.
Evolution == Atheism.

Hey Bio: emtee's calling you an Atheist! Do you see a pattern here? Exclusion, exclusion. You're not in *my* club: you're evil...

Cheers,

Buffy

but that makes no sense... dont organisms evolve an become more complex, ive never heard of anything going from being complex to the point where we cant figure things out, to being something more primitive
Hi JR! Welcome to Hypography! You've stumbled into the wrong thread, and its gotten out of hand (no thanks to me I suppose). emtee is a believer in the literal interpretation of the Bible and is does not believe that anything ever evolves except for small changes like flowers and dog breeds. Its emtee's thread so its kind of gotten stuck in the creation/evolution debate because that's what emtee wanted to discuss. I'd suggest you start a new thread with a question and we'll keep it to the topic that you're interested in! You'll find lots of us want to talk about it your way!

Cheers,

Buffy

They found an elephent that has the look of a mammoth, with shorter tusks and not very much hair before...this might be one example of getetic degeneration ..where did all the short people come from? Taller people who bor kids with less genetics for hight..and also shorter life. no great discoveries of mutations realy bettering nature.

and the gerraff thoety...that is a theory. the most it would do is possability cause open doors for earlyer, worse neck problems

They found an elephent that has the look of a mammoth, with shorter tusks and not very much hair before...this might be one example of getetic decinigration ..where did all the short people come from? Taller people who bor kids with less genetics for hight..and also shorter life.
Mammoths were predominant in the northern latitudes during an ice age. They liked being wooly. It was useful! Elephants migrated south over the last several tens of thousands of years to warmer climes where being wooly was definitely not the hot ticket. They lost their hair. I'd agree that I think that wooly mammoths are cuter than elephants, but I don't think the elephants would agree.

On short people: you just offended a bunch of folks out there, but in fact humans have actually been getting *taller* since we think taller guys are cuter. Its selected for. Ask Bio: he's tall, he's been married twice and has three kids! Pretty good for emphasizing tall in the gene pool!

no great discoveries of mutations realy bettering nature.
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess....

Cheers,

Buffy