Science Forums

Aliens Poll

Buffy

What kind of life is there in the universe, and have they visited?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of life is there in the universe, and have they visited?

• Humans are the only intelligent life, and there is no life beyond Earth.
    • Humans, dolphins, gorillas and a few others are the only intelligent life.
    • There's life beyond earth but its only bacteria and simple organisms.
    • There's complex life beyond earth but its not intelligent.
    • There's intelligent life in the universe but they've never visited Earth.
    • There's intelligent life in the universe and they've visited.
    • There's intelligent life and they regularly abduct humans for experiments.

I voted There's intelligent life in the universe but they've never visited Earth.

I haven't seen any compelling evidence of a visit.......but who knows?

I wouldn't be surprised if when man is able to visit other planets in this and other Solar systems that we find life everywhere as a natural response to matters fact of existing,then again we may be unique but the Universe is rather large.

With extra Solar exploration though we may have to be open to adjust our interpretation of what "is " life.It would be a pity to miss other life forms due to our ignorance or arrogance of what constitutes "life"

Good points. Always I considered how cool it would be to discover "intelligent" life, but I think I would be just as excited to discover even something similar to ameobas.

Most science fiction artists depict ET having a face and limbs of some sort, eyes, ears..... But those characteristics are based on the DNA common to all life forms on earth. These are three ingredients cited by SETI in their search. Technology is the key. Humans are the only life forms to develop technology although not the only ones to have intelligence; it takes technology to traverse distance between stars; it's difficult to imagine intelligence without eyes and ears and limbs. Plants for example are not capable of technological advances. I would say, even if there is life elsewhere in the Universe, we will only know about it if we go there ourselves or with our drones.

Good points. Always I considered how cool it would be to discover "intelligent" life, but I think I would be just as excited to discover even something similar to ameobas.

Even if we found extraterrestrial plant life it would be an exciting discovery.

Most science fiction artists depict ET having a face and limbs of some sort, eyes, ears..... But those characteristics are based on the DNA common to all life forms on earth. These are three ingredients cited by SETI in their search. Technology is the key. Humans are the only life forms to develop technology although not the only ones to have intelligence; it takes technology to traverse distance between stars; it's difficult to imagine intelligence without eyes and ears and limbs. Plants for example are not capable of technological advances. I would say, even if there is life elsewhere in the Universe, we will only know about it if we go there ourselves or with our drones.

Assuming for a moment that we have overcome the tyranny of distance and time, do find life ... would it be ethically correct to make contact?

If the life was at a "less" advanced stage as us are we not changing their "path"?

Caution would also be required so as to not accidentally kill them or ourselves ala "War of the worlds" style,

Possibly other life forms has found us and considered it prudent not to make contact maybe ever or maybe not yet?

Assuming for a moment that we have overcome the tyranny of distance and time, do find life ... would it be ethically correct to make contact?

If the life was at a "less" advanced stage as us are we not changing their "path"?

Caution would also be required so as to not accidentally kill them or ourselves ala "War of the worlds" style,

Possibly other life forms has found us and considered it prudent not to make contact maybe ever or maybe not yet?

The "prime directive" is science fiction. Here on earth, people have never hesitated to contact other species or cultures.

The "prime directive" is science fiction. Here on earth, people have never hesitated to contact other species or cultures.
...or "save" them by destroying their cultures and religions and stealing their resources. Can you name a single civilization on earth that has been "left alone?" Worse, those that have been "accidently" left alone have actually sought assimilation in many cases!

Not to give away any spoilers, but Enterprise sure has some interesting plots about a "pre-prime-directive" Federation with lots of meddling that backfired and the recent episodes about the "Empire" alternate universe that showed the advantages of ruthless meddling like my previous paragraph....

Cheers,

Buffy

Aliens probably haven't visited Earth (maybe I'm wrong), but I think it is unlikely that we are the most advanced life form in the universe. Perhaps some more advanced organism has been exploring other planets besides their own for longer than we have been using the wheel, but just haven't made it here yet.

...Option 2 is supposed to also imply "and there's no other life in the universe" but the poll mechanism doesn't like long options....

I'm definitely in the is intelligent life but hasn't visited us. We're way too boring to bother visiting...

I noticed you did not include an option for "no intelligent life anywhere, including humans here". Certainly our political processes would justify that option.

I am also certain that alien intelligent life forms would come visit us if they existed, because my cheesecake is too good to miss. My beef stroganoff is pretty good too. A very simple proof for lack of extraterrestrial life.

I am also certain that alien intelligent life forms would come visit us if they existed, because my cheesecake is too good to miss. My beef stroganoff is pretty good too. A very simple proof for lack of extraterrestrial life.
That would certainly explain a lot about your philosophy of "Bio-centrism"!!! :eek: Luckily you're wrong though, because as we all know, "In Space, no one can smell your cheesecake...." *

Cheers,

Buffy

*Obscure pop-culture reference for you kiddies: Tag line of the movie "Alien" was "In Space no one can hear you scream."

I noticed you did not include an option for "no intelligent life anywhere, including humans here". Certainly our political processes would justify that option.
Luckily not all of us are politicians... I actually almost did put this on, but I figured that anyone who voted for that would at least think that THEY--although no OTHER humans--were intelligent, so there'd be at least one being with intelligence...

Cheers,

Buffy

That would certainly explain a lot about your philosophy of "Bio-centrism"!!! :eek: Luckily you're wrong though, because as we all know, "In Space, no one can smell your cheesecake...." *
Damn. I completely forgot about Sigourney's first law of cheesecake whiffing.

Bio-centrism: down in flames on the day of introduction.

By the way, Buff, you are welcome to stop by with Orb for cheesecake too. In fact, anyone here is. Even the aliens.