Science Forums

Aliens Poll

Buffy

What kind of life is there in the universe, and have they visited?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of life is there in the universe, and have they visited?

• Humans are the only intelligent life, and there is no life beyond Earth.
    • Humans, dolphins, gorillas and a few others are the only intelligent life.
    • There's life beyond earth but its only bacteria and simple organisms.
    • There's complex life beyond earth but its not intelligent.
    • There's intelligent life in the universe but they've never visited Earth.
    • There's intelligent life in the universe and they've visited.
    • There's intelligent life and they regularly abduct humans for experiments.

There are an overwhelming majority here who believe that there are green things out there. The reason you believe this altogether is mainly the chance or the probability, right? You say that since its such an unbelievably large number of galaxy´s and planets and so on., it must be life out there. Obviously, without giving it much thought this sounds true. But you forget the most important part.

The Drake equation, which i view as more of an experiment than a solution does the same thing. Because neither recognizes what I think is very central to this issue. That is the painstakingly exact parameters that is necessary for life to exist on a planet. The numbers we are dealing with are so unimaginably precise. Think of this; If some of the variable's for existence had been changed, we would not exist. This variables are set so precise that even scientist began to wonder if they would almost need to invoke a God to explain how it is possible to have ended up like this. The numbers for these parameters are really incredible.

(I recommend the series "What We Still Don't Know," an excellent production from BBC. At least it gives you a perspective. Web page: http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/W/what_we_still_dont_know/)

My point is that the reason for "everybody" jumping onto aliens as if it where the new thing is a) A wish and a fervent prayer that somebody can help us out :hihi: A misconception of statistics. None of this holds up. My conclusion would be that we have no reason to choose, since there is no obvious proof or chance for either. Therefore we must choose the stance; there might be life in space, but I have NO reason to believe so until you show me some. Its the same thing with religion. I don´t believe in God before I have a reason to do so.

Now, some people believe they have been abducted and some believe they have received an revelation. There are psychological answers to this I believe. Just as when someone nowadays believe they are Napoleon, we don´t say; Yeah, he might be. We say he´s crazy for obvious reasons. I think much of the same goes for both those who wish that there is life in outer space and those who are religious, it can be explained psychologically. Here is a nice little link for those who believe in any alien story; http://www.csicop.org/si/9709/sheaffer.html. The best way to see that ALL alien story´s so far is pure bull, is to look a little deeper, do just a little research. Look at the mental health history of the person who´s writing or talking about his encounter.

Point is, most people don´t want to find out whether God or aliens exist. Thats not what they want, what they do want is to believe in them, which is a wholly different thing.

35 people have alot of faith.

i just thought of another poll

is it easier to believe in aliens or god?

I'm one of those people with a lot of faith.

However, it's easier to believe in aliens. Why, you ask? Well, because aliens would be natural beings formed by the different conditions that surround their planet. God is a super-natural being, difficult concepty to grasp. And finally, why would God only make life in here? Why not in Jupiter? Other galaxies? etc.?

I'm a firm believer that we are not the only intelligent life in the universe. Also, I'm almost certain that our technological advances are not that great, we still have much to learn and know. Not because we are on the year 2005 means that we almost know everything; we are far from that.

automatic existence... I'm sorry, but the numbers and percentages of minerals and gases and gravity required to sustain life aren't "unimaginably precise" at all. The figures required to sustain our life and the life forms we've come to know and love are pretty exact... although nowhere near precise. We more or less have a "range" of conditions we are capable of surviving in and even then variables such as acclimatization have to be taken into consideration.

On different planets there may have been different chemical/environmental effects that affected the atmosphere to mainly be comprised of Nitrogen gas rather than Oxygen. And later there may have been further reactions where different forms of life were created from all the chemicals, pressures, electricity, and whatever else was necessary and some of those life forms were able to survive in a nitrogen rich environment... those forms may have prospered and evolved (long before we came into existence) along with the vegetation and eventually given birth to what we now believe are inter-planetary exploring martians. In fact there may have been some forms of this life back when our planet was created... but it died out dued to our Oxygen rich environment :hyper:. Who knows?

Anyway, point is, anything's possible. Maybe not on our planet alone... but ours isn't the only one in this Universe...

As far as I know, they can't detect terrestrial planets in other solar systems yet because of the small size comparative to the sun. Imagine trying to look for a speck of dirt on a lens of a search light from far away. However, they have been able to detect gasseous planets due to their much larger size. They are also able to detect planets based on a star's wobble. If there is a large enough planet near the star, it's gravitational pull will cause the star to wobble a bit.

Consider this though, we have billions of stars in our galaxy. Assume that our solar system is one in a million. That means that we only have a few thousand solar systems like ours in our galaxy. So, assume that the chances of life occuring naturally are one in a billion. Assuming that most galaxies are similar to ours, and assuming two thousand solar systems in each galaxy, than it would take 500,000 galaxies to produce one planet with life. Consider that there are billions of galaxies...

Guest jamongo

I voted there is intelligent life out there and they have visited earth.

There are so many mysteries that have our science guys stumped, and most, if not all, of them can be explained by accepting an interaction between the humans of long ago and those "space visitors". It doesn't infer that they were gods of a sort. They just had capabilities that were far above what was available here on earth. Where did they go? Maybe they just aged and died. Maybe its far-fetched, but it's what I consider to be a possibility.

There are so many mysteries that have our science guys stumped, and most, if not all, of them can be explained by accepting an interaction between the humans of long ago and those "space visitors". It doesn't infer that they were gods of a sort. They just had capabilities that were far above what was available here on earth. Where did they go? Maybe they just aged and died. Maybe its far-fetched, but it's what I consider to be a possibility.

It's possible... but improbable. I think that accepting the idea that beings from another planet came to earth and helped us build structures and such, is a cop out answer.

I think that the mysteries surrounding ancient civilizations were caused by conditions on earth. There is still so much to be discovered about our own planet. We still know so little.

I voted for There's intelligent life in the universe but they've never visited Earth.

It's possible... but improbable. I think that accepting the idea that beings from another planet came to earth and helped us build structures and such, is a cop out answer.

I think that the mysteries surrounding ancient civilizations were caused by conditions on earth. There is still so much to be discovered about our own planet. We still know so little.

I voted for There's intelligent life in the universe but they've never visited Earth.

Understood...but here's a question for everyone...

What do you all think about UFO and alien-like art, symbols and icons, and other similar ambiguous "stuff" in ancient artwork? Here are a few links to what I'm talking about:

http://www.marsearthconnection.com/ancientart.html

http://ufologie.net/htm/kimberley.htm

Just posing the question.

What do you all think about UFO and alien-like art, symbols and icons, and other similar ambiguous "stuff" in ancient artwork?

I've seen stuff like this before on the history channel. I believe that this art is a result of ancient beings ingesting entheogens and tripping out. There is tons of evidence that ancient cultures used psychadelics in religious ceremonies. During these ceremonies, they probably imagined weird entities. And those paintings probably have more to do with religion than anything else.

If its saucer shaped, it must be an alien. Of course all these "examples" show saucers. Saucers are circular, the simplest and most common shape of just about anything. If its in the air, only aliens could fly back then, well, except for birds, and no one would think of wanting to fly, well, except angels fly with wings. We don't have wings, how could we fly, the only way anyone back then *possibly* could have imagined flying would be to make wings, well, except Aladdin had that flying carpet...

Oh, but its *obvious* that they're aliens! If you don't agree you're just out to get us believers because we're beautiful! :confused:

Incoherently,

Buffy