Science Forums

Aliens Poll

Buffy

What kind of life is there in the universe, and have they visited?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of life is there in the universe, and have they visited?

• Humans are the only intelligent life, and there is no life beyond Earth.
    • Humans, dolphins, gorillas and a few others are the only intelligent life.
    • There's life beyond earth but its only bacteria and simple organisms.
    • There's complex life beyond earth but its not intelligent.
    • There's intelligent life in the universe but they've never visited Earth.
    • There's intelligent life in the universe and they've visited.
    • There's intelligent life and they regularly abduct humans for experiments.

Recent activity in the Aliens thread probably justifies this poll. I offered a few other options to identify some differing views...

Option 2 is supposed to also imply "and there's no other life in the universe" but the poll mechanism doesn't like long options....

I'm definitely in the is intelligent life but hasn't visited us. We're way too boring to bother visiting...

Cheers,

Buffy

actually we are amazingly funny, and strange inhabitents to this crazy world we have completely changed. i would find us so amusing if i was an alien, especially since i would know nothing about us...we would be so weird. i voted for There's intelligent life in the universe but they've never visited Earth.

actually we are amazingly funny, and strange inhabitents to this crazy world we have completely changed. i would find us so amusing if i was an alien...
True. But only if they bothered to watch enough television. "Lucy! You've got some 'splainin' to do!" I've always wondered what they'd gleen from all our pop culture....

Cheers,

Buffy

True. But only if they bothered to watch enough television. "Lucy! You've got some 'splainin' to do!" I've always wondered what they'd gleen from all our pop culture....

Cheers,

Buffy

Probably would be something out there akin to say a certain Science Fiction spoof on ST with some race thinking we had all this great tech they could use. If they actually watched everything as far as Pop culture goes I think they'd find us creatures of great imagination. Limited as we are we dare to dream beyond our limits. They also might find us a threat of sorts. Because hidden in every dream of imagination one finds the seeds of both potential greatness and distruction. To get a better answer one only needs to view the human equation from outside the box a bit. How would you judge the human race youself. Personally, I'd find them interesting enough to want to study a bit. We find other lower creatures interesting enough to study why wouldn't they. But its more the motives behind the study I would question myself.

I've been twice in my life while serving with the DoD witness to what the public calls UFO sightings. One was documented and seen out in Arizona back in 83. I knew then what we had and those things whatever they are where not ours. They show up on radar, they show up visually which means they do exist. What they are and how they move one can only speculate at. God only knows we could use some of what they have if their origin is from out there. But, I'd also say that not everything reported in UFO circles is a real case of an honest UFO. Some of it is human imagination getting the best of people.

The ones I saw in 83 did move at lot faster than anything we have. They visually seemed to be able to appear and disappear. But when you honestly examined the time between such their unseen motion rather fits the laws we do know. I'd term that more in line with an ability to hide or go real stealth mode as far as the visual goes. They can also do that on radar too. I was at one point about 100 yards from one of those things. It was glowing metal of some type as far as the hull goes. It reflected radar like metal also. What it was I still do not know and probably never will. But it existed and was real and solid. It flew like a craft under control far better than any pilot on this planet could fly in the craft's we have. In short, I'm convinced we've been visited. But it took being there to fully convince me. If I'd never seen one I be in the majority camp here based upon other scientific evidence. But hard to argue with what one has seen and witnessed personally. I however have kept at trying to find a scientific explination for such. I think one does exist.

The radar part I verified with some friends on the base itself after the event. The rest I witnessed first hand. I also had friends who worked with the top secret experimental craft we had at the time(that includes the developing stealth aircraft still kept at bases like Groom Lake then). I discribed the sighted crafts to them directly. From what I knew we had at the time and from what they knew we had at the time back in 83 these things where not ours.

Probably would be something out there akin to say a certain Science Fiction spoof on ST with some race thinking we had all this great tech they could use.
Galaxy Quest is a fun movie...

If they actually watched everything as far as Pop culture goes I think they'd find us creatures of great imagination. ... They also might find us a threat of sorts. ...
Or be horrified by our lack of morals and feel that God gave them the right to exterminate evil in the Universe... You know, authors of an alien "Left Behind" series... One of the reasons I advocate SETI listening but not shouting...

Cheers,

Buffy

Galaxy Quest is a fun movie...

Or be horrified by our lack of morals and feel that God gave them the right to exterminate evil in the Universe... You know, authors of an alien "Left Behind" series... One of the reasons I advocate SETI listening but not shouting...

Cheers,

Buffy

Actually we have shouted in a sort of way once back when SETI first started we sent out a message. Did an article at one time titled The Seti Wow Signal that mentioned that our one shot one time signal if ever intercepted would itself appear like the now famous Wow signal they once picked up. I too have caution on the whole SETI thing as I do about hopeful one day travel to other stars. Personally I think we ought to go in peace and carry a big stick at the same time. The harder question for Seti to answer is do Aliens want to be found or heard. My own little encounter with UFO's tells me they are way beyond us period and at the best while they care little about being seen by us really do not want to establish any type of first contact at all. That suggests at the best they are courious and perhaps fearful at the same time. Certainly not say the ST non-interference and don't be recognized approach. More a watch and keep an eye on type of approach.

By the way, this is just my own personal opinion about abductions, but, I have yet to see anything I'd call solid physical evidence there. So even given some of those UFO reports might be real I still see no evidence they care to directly contact us. Given how humans tend to act towards each other I think I rather understand that approach.

You're right about Galaxy Quest being fun. But it does beg the question how would other races view us given the variety there could be out there.

Actually we have shouted in a sort of way once back when SETI first started we sent out a message.
I know. Scares the heck outta me. Lots of folks seem to be obsessed with this though, with articles saying things like "radio waves are innefficient ways to broadcast ourselves to the Universe: we should build huge laser beams and fire them off in to space."
Personally I think we ought to go in peace and carry a big stick at the same time....But it does beg the question how would other races view us given the variety there could be out there.
I worry most about the Vogons. I don't think we should broadcast loudly until we have both a very big stick and very effective earplugs to defend against their poetry...

Cheers!

Buffy

Whoo! 158 views and only 14 votes: I want to remind everyone that this is a blind poll, so no one can see your vote! Is there really no one among our very diverse audience who doesn't think that there are lots of aliens out there?

Cheers,

Buffy

Whoo! 158 views and only 14 votes: I want to remind everyone that this is a blind poll, so no one can see your vote! Is there really no one among our very diverse audience who doesn't think that there are lots of aliens out there?

Cheers,

Buffy

Well I'm one of the 10 in the "There's intelligent life in the universe but they've never visited Earth." group. It's amazing sometimes how many people view a poll and don't vote.