Science Forums

Aliens Poll

Buffy

What kind of life is there in the universe, and have they visited?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of life is there in the universe, and have they visited?

• Humans are the only intelligent life, and there is no life beyond Earth.
    • Humans, dolphins, gorillas and a few others are the only intelligent life.
    • There's life beyond earth but its only bacteria and simple organisms.
    • There's complex life beyond earth but its not intelligent.
    • There's intelligent life in the universe but they've never visited Earth.
    • There's intelligent life in the universe and they've visited.
    • There's intelligent life and they regularly abduct humans for experiments.

If its saucer shaped, it must be an alien. Of course all these "examples" show saucers. Saucers are circular, the simplest and most common shape of just about anything. If its in the air, only aliens could fly back then, well, except for birds, and no one would think of wanting to fly, well, except angels fly with wings. We don't have wings, how could we fly, the only way anyone back then *possibly* could have imagined flying would be to make wings, well, except Aladdin had that flying carpet...

Oh, but its *obvious* that they're aliens! If you don't agree you're just out to get us believers because we're beautiful! :confused:

Incoherently,

Buffy

Isn't it possible that this ancient art is what sparked our modern ideas as to what aliens and their flying devices may look like?

And we should also consider the fact that there is tons of ancient art that depicts tons of different entities in lots of shapes and forms. It's possible that the people who uncover this "evidence" of aliens in ancient art, could be filtering through tons of other ancient art that has other not-so-alien looking beings.

I still think it all derives from psychadelic religious ceremonies.

Isn't it possible that this ancient art is what sparked our modern ideas as to what aliens and their flying devices may look like?
Ah sure it could. I don't *think* aliens have visited, and I do think they exist (my 20,000 computing hours contributed to Seti@Home is proof!), but as you say:
I still think it all derives from psychadelic religious ceremonies.
Mass-quantities of psychoactive substances is far more likely... :confused:

Out There,

Buffy

If its saucer shaped, it must be an alien. Of course all these "examples" show saucers. Saucers are circular, the simplest and most common shape of just about anything. If its in the air, only aliens could fly back then, well, except for birds, and no one would think of wanting to fly, well, except angels fly with wings. We don't have wings, how could we fly, the only way anyone back then *possibly* could have imagined flying would be to make wings, well, except Aladdin had that flying carpet...

Oh, but its *obvious* that they're aliens! If you don't agree you're just out to get us believers because we're beautiful! :confused:

Incoherently,

Buffy

Hah! It looks to me like the circular shapes with triangular "tails" would be a representation of a comet. Aside from that, I don't know... I don't think, however, that it's *obvious* these drawings are of aliens. I was just looking for thoughts.

Guest jamongo

I find it rather interesting that "Drip Cool Magic" believes, as I do, that intelligent life does exist in other places in the universe. There isn't one piece of evidence to indicate that this might be true.

I put forth the possibility that intelligent life did come to this planet, and intermingled with the life forms that had developed here. Again there is no concrete evidence that this did occur, but there is circumstantial evidence that it could have occurred.

Yet my input to the discussion was a "cop out".

Poor choice of words, I think.

they exist

life exists everywhere

give life a big enough niche and it will take hold and evolve.

the problem is the amount of resources and time it takes for a species to develop interstellar travel

not to mention a reason to.

its not that aliens aren't interested in earth its a matter of aliens leaving their comfy planet in the first place. if they are anything like most humans they would never even bother.

even the most succesful civilizations would fragment once they achieved interplanetary travel. planets at wars style. and even if a solar system had enough planets to support such wars for very long (with enough complex resources to sustain the fight for long) travelling between planets though easy is nothing compared to interstellar travel. sustaining a complex highly evolved civilization between stars is very impractical. let along physically impossible at least as far as our science goes.

so

if life leaves its homeworld to set up an interplanetary civilization within a solar system it risks conflict.

and interstellar civilizations are pretty much impossible.

intergalactic certainly impossible.

i don't see a species growing that large and still having the resources for it to happen, or sustain itself during interstellar expiditions.

• 2 weeks later...

well aliens...hmm in our universe its bla bla.

For what do you understand from the word "aliens"

basicly human like beeings.

but simple bacterias do count as aliens..for its foreign life forms.

If by aliens you ment "human like beeings." well they do existe only if you can understand the multiverse theory

can you really say yes they existe but not in our space-time.

My answear would be they existe as bacteria..not in our universe.

After I brought up the point of ancient cultures using psychoactive drugs in religious ceremonys, I became a little curious...

So I decided to conduct an experiment with a little bit with Salvia Divinorum(Entheogenic plant that's use dates back for thousands of years). It is the most powerful entheogen known to man.

A couple of my friends and I decided to smoke some salvia under the supervision of fellow forum member, Orbsycli. When it was my turn to smoke, I ended up not getting the full effect the first time. So, I tried it again. The second bowl didn't do anything for me either... it just made me have minor hallucinations... nothing like what I had read about most salvia trips. When I decided to smoke a third bowl, Orby told me to hold the lighter on the salvia in order to get the chemical into my lungs so that I could get the full effect. It worked like a charm.

After taking one rip out of that bong, I immediately felt something strange. I handed the bong to orb and started looking at all of my friends... my vision had gotten fuzzy... and there were little bars of static rolling up and down my spectrum of vision.... it was as if I was living inside of a television program that only had partial reception... this only lasted for about three seconds. Then I was completely out of it.

At this moment in time, I completly forgot everything I'd ever learned in my lifetime. I no longer knew my name... I didn't know how to speak... I didn't even know what language was..... I no longer knew about humans... or earth at all. my body had disappeared. I wasn't a living being anymore.... nor was I a dead being. I had become a point in the universe. And, although I had no body parts anymore, I could still see visuals and hear sounds.

I can't really remember what happened at this point during the trip... It gets a little fuzzy from this point on... because I lost my sense of time... I remember things happening... but I can't exactly remember what order all of it happened in. But I'll try and piece it together in an order that makes the most sence.

I remember seeing 5 entities... all of them were generic... dark brown hair... big dark eyes.... no noses... very small mouths... they were all standing next to eachother. These intities seemed very similair to the ones in lots of the ancient "alien" art. At this point, I felt no emotion.

Then all of a sudden, my vision tilted... the beings were still standing shoulder to shoulder... but they were tilted diagnaly across my visual field. Then the beings heads molded into one anothers and then their shoulders followed. Their mouths competely disappeared. So I was looking at this being with an abnormally long head(made up of 5 heads)... and 4 holes seperating each of the 5 necks. And the only facial features it/they had... were it's ten eyes.

At this point, I remember the eyes of all 5 beings began to multiply... and shot out in every direction. For a slip second, I was looking at an entire wall of eyes. At this point, I paniced and remember who I was... and snapped out of it really quick. As soon as i realized that i was in orb's studio, I looked around at all of my friends whom i couldn't really recognize at this point because I was still hallucinating a little bit. I felt myself leaning on the wall behind me.... for a second, it felt like the wall was trying to consume me... and make me disappear... I freaked out again and scooted away from the wall... I remember looking around the room at my friends... but being afraid to look at all of them... so I turned and looked at Orb's guitar amp until the effect fully wore off.

The come down was rapid.... I'd say the entire trip only lasted about 20-30 seconds. It was a strange come-down... because I had completely forgotten everything about myself... and it was hard for me to accept my being. my body felt weird and foreign. It was almost like being re-born into a new world... when I first saw all of my friends, i knew who they all were... but it felt like I was seeing humans for the first time... like from an alien point of view.

After seeing what i saw while I was trippin'... I'm pretty sure that all that "alien" art came from entheogenic religious ceremonies. If you don't believe me, try some salvia yourself. But be forewarned, it's a really weird experience... and very uncomfortable... especially during the come-down.

you can order the stuff online. It's legal, so it's not hard to come across.

Something that cool is legal? Somebody call the cops - I smell people havin' fun!

As for aliens - the likelihood they exsist is high - the likelihood (I think I'm misspelling that...) that we'd ever even REALIZE it? Pretty low. Think about all the things that we have that are basicaly random, one off kinds of evolutionary things. Not to mention things like the vertabrate jaw, mammary glands, and fur - we've got a whole HOST of "social evolutions" that don't even occur in every HUMAN society. Like making interstellar travel a priority, for instance. Or radio. Or cars, guns, verbal language, etc. Having any of those things is purely an evolutionary accident. They don't really help us pass on our genes - and as we've demonstrated time after time - sometimes they kind HURT in that regard.

Frankly, I wouldn't be suprised if we find a world of hyper-intelligent alien broccolli someday. Sure, it can do higher level calculus in it's head - but it doesn't have the steam engine or the artillery shell. We decide they taste delicious - and consume a thousand year old civilization before we even realize we've found one.

TFS

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the odds of there being intelligent life elsewhere are infinate, if space is infinate.

The odds of them having visited, the exact same presuming the same for time as space.

However, I don't believe we've got anything legit during our (human) recorded history, to prove that we've ever seen another intelligent race touch down here.

i wonder if there are super planets like jupiter, but rocky like earth, that have moons the size of a planet like earth.. out there somewhere..

can you just imagine the surface gravity?

in such a scenario would creatures develop as tiny flat things unable to grow tall due to the crushing gravity, or hyperdense creatures that otherwise behaves as life on earth does?

possibly more slowly because fluids wouldn't flow with the same dynamics and possibly also they would not develop flight and thus travel/propagation might take much longer to develop than on earth. with a much more dense structure though perhaps they'd discover super conductors and such much faster and layer themselves like circuits.. coating a planet in what we'd see as circuits.. a huge planet thus could birth living computers maybe??

what do you think?

with a much more dense structure though perhaps they'd discover super conductors and such much faster and layer themselves like circuits.. coating a planet in what we'd see as circuits.. a huge planet thus could birth living computers maybe??

what do you think?

Ever seen "Silicon Run?"

That'd wind up being an Historical Biography instead of a Documentary... :naughty:

• 1 month later...

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.html

In case anyone wanted to play around with it and all. I love this cause it illuminates the probablity, even at really small numbers the number of civs are more than one. If you start including other galaxies and stuff, then you get funny junk. Because the numbers get vast.