Science Forums

Is armageddon going to happen?

zahizahi

You're also saying that bin Laden could inspire his own religion? and that the Western world won't be around long anyhow?

But doesn't bin laden already inspire his own religion?

That second question can get us in a very long and difficult discussion, so i wont start one. However i should probably say that the end is inevitable, and whether the end sparks a new beginning, or a new beginning sparks an end, it is inevitable no matter what we do, because by the time we realize that we have went too far and decided to do something about it, it will be far too late to do anything to prevent it from happening...

yeah, i'd like to echo this question...

which sects "feel it is their duty to push armegedon to provide the conditions for the "Second Coming". As they feel that there is no wrong in trashing the planet and bringing the world to war, because this is neccessary to happen to have Jesus come and take them all to paradise.... "

Or were you just teasing?

And how, exactly, do these sects go about 'pushing' Armageddon? Biblically, this is a place, not a thing. It is referred to as the "Battle of..." not as a separate thing. Or are we talking of different things here?

While I do have some basic knowledge of the Bible, I will admit that I am by no ways a scholar in any way and some of the intricacies I mess up. It is my understanding that there are a series of events that are necessary before Christ's return. The final acumulation was the distruction of the Earth so it can be rebuilt as a paradise for the faithful, which was my understanding, Armagedeon. Maybe I am using a specific event of the seires to term the whole seires, if so, my bad.

Christian Zionist are one of the larger sects pushing toward these "Armegedon" prophecies.. Part of their beleif system is that the Israelites need to reclaim the "Holy Land". This sect is one of the largest funders of the Jewish settlement movement onto the West Bank. They believe this is neccessary for "the Second Comming".

As for the later half of my comment, part jest, but still reasonable extrapolation. If you think the world is going to end iminantly or is neccessary for you to reach heaven/zen/paradise/Wendy's Parking lot/etc. then why would you bother to take care of it?

While I do have some basic knowledge of the Bible, I will admit that I am by no ways a scholar in any way and some of the intricacies I mess up. It is my understanding that there are a series of events that are necessary before Christ's return. The final acumulation was the distruction of the Earth so it can be rebuilt as a paradise for the faithful, which was my understanding, Armagedeon. Maybe I am using a specific event of the seires to term the whole seires, if so, my bad.

No worries! Not many folk think Revelations (the book about Armegeddon) is a literal transcription of events, or that it will come about anytime soon, or the timeframe really matters. It's usually taken as a prophetic poetry, in that it's a figural interpritations of such an event in the future, which will come about, but most likely in an unknown way. As for "bringing it on quicker," that's just plain strange to me.

As for people trashing the planet because it's all going away soon... That really ticks me off too. The FIRST commandment in the Bible is take care of the earth.:)

armegedon, the war which is said to finish the continuity of the World. There is an oracle like this… Well, in fact oracles are not needed to believe… On the other hand, the world is getting worse... What do you think will happen?

Some people will look around at whats going on in the world and say that Armgeddon is occurring now. They will see floods and plagues, pestilance, earthquakes, wars and to them armageddon is upon us. I noticed you said the world is getting worse. I assume you must be one of these.

I look around and see that these occurances have been happening since the birth of this planet and the life upon it. I dont see the world as being worse just differant. For you Armaggedon is upon us, for me its just another day.

Welcome to the forum!

Well, I agree and don't agree with you in the same time.

I agree because as I wrote before, i believe people generally tend to see and remember just the bad things and therefore may see armageddon everywhere.

On the other hand I don't completely agree, because the waes have gotten worse and deadlier in time. I don't think that this is armageddon, but that it is closer to it (maybe with no convergence, but still closer).

Armaggeddon is either gonna happen or not.

It probably will but hopefully won't. Yet again are we gonna get better as a species or just spiral down our current, inane path? A lot of scientists believe that evolution is over. Having my decendants in about one to two thousand years flying around the solar-system in their jet-cars, with all the answers to the mysteries of the cosmos rolled up in the latest issue of Newsweek next to them on the passenger seat; living an average of three or five-hundred years only to have to worry if a traffic-jam is going to make them late for work, or if they filled out their 401K correctly; or if some bully is pestering their kid at school; or if they're gonna beat out 'Kate' for that big promotion seems like a #&(%ed-up scenario. Maybe the question shouldn't be if armaggeddon is going to happen but should it?

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh"

Voltaire

P.S. VERY cool explative-editing software!

• 5 months later...
It will happen once the universe stops expanding, and starts contracting.

thats no longer is the standing theory

the current theory holds that the universe will continue expanding ad infinitum

however without astronomical volcanoes pushing out matter (nova don't count)(and prolly strings only tune the unruly universe instead of actually bringing new energy into it, our understand of strings is still young) space travel will eventually become even harder as points drift further and further apart.

recirculating matter (nova, in that interstellar matter is sucked up by the star that can't handle it and blows out) would be much more useful to us if "white holes" (super duper uber nova) were more prevelent in the universe. energy founts so powerful matter is created as they expand and dissipate instead of just light and energy founts (photons and radiation)...

like what happens when a black hole after trillions of years gets really big? does it get superfluid indigestion and explode "big bang" style?

what happens when uber black holes collide? that pent up potential has to go somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Armageddon, as in the predicted one with the four horsemen? no i seriously doubt it, but now lets look at reality, we screwed up our planet so badly nothing will be left soon, overpopulation can kill us, global warming might flood some us then freeze us, ozon can leave burn us up like some hot dogs being prepared for a festival, the sun can explode, tge galaxy andramata (spelling?) is coming closer and will soon crash with us, yellowstone will blow up, some random comnet/asteriod can hit us, we kill/blow ourselfs up, some random bibilical death can happen, well i can write a book on this 101 ways the human race will die. Armagedon? maybe, unlikely Death to the human race? most definatly

• 11 months later...

What if there is no Armegeddon and this is simply a progression of man passing from one step to the next.

First there was no theism.

Then there was polytheism.

Which broke down into the two major monotheistic belief systems of the world today. Two belief systems, two separate and distinct structures and ideologies, which are entirely incompatible with each other and two, for lack of a better descriptor, gods.

What if there is no Armegeddon, both belief systems have a big something to lose, they have both staked everything on their respective horses and the race is running. I believe that when the race is run neither horse will cross the finish line and then man will move on to something else.

Would be nice to move on as a whole species though not a decimated one.

The earth is a paradise now so the way I figure it whatever we move on to, I hope that there is someone there who will tell the story and pass the knowledge to ensure that our next chance doesn't get screwed up like this one.

Wayne

"In the big picture, none of this is even real."

I don't know for sure but if it is, arma-geddon-out-of-here!

No but seriously, like Woody Allen, I've got nothing against death - I just don't want to be there when it happens. It's not how you die (we're all going to do that anyway, on the great conveyor of life, we all drop off eventually). As they say it is how you live that is important and if you think disaster is coming, you're more likely to be panicked into doing something that leads to your demise. Stay calm and level headed, and perhaps it can be averted - let social hysteria take over and its all over...

• 1 year later...

One unique angle for Armageddon is connected to human evolution. The bible describes a very turbulent period that leads to a new type of human. The details of the process are subject to debate and speculation. But the gist describes is a collective social process leading to a new type of human remaining as the social norm.

Most armageddon scenarios, use some form of destruction but don't focus on the final results. Most of these scenarios simply go through destructive turbulence, where human nature is not changed. Humans simple rebuild or are exterminated from the earth. It is often based on a random sampling approach for the final results. The bible scenario suggests a process, leading to change.

As an example of what I am trying to say, science has strong evidence that suggests that humans have around for 1-2 million years. After civilization appeared, about 6-10 thousand years ago, these precusor breeds of humans disappeared, as the new humans took over. The transition, would have started with both types of humans at the same time. It ended with only the new type.

If you look at what the bible says, the final humans that remain are very positive, peaceful and natural. The current breed of humans, connected to the civilization, is moving in that direction but can't seem to get the job done.

If you run a parallel between the caveman breed and earliest civilization breed, the cavemen originally dominated and may have worked hard to sabbatage this new breed who was an easy target due to farming. But as the new breed of humans progressed the tide turned and the cavemen became obsolete.

The cavemen where far more natural, at the top of the natural food chain, with some key skills that allowed them to better control the environment. To become civilized from that state, the brain somehow got a boost. This suggests armageddon connected to another brain boost, that will alter the playing field so evolution can move forward another stage as a new human emerges.

One unique angle for Armageddon is connected to human evolution. The bible describes a very turbulent period that leads to a new type of human. The details of the process are subject to debate and speculation. But the gist describes is a collective social process leading to a new type of human remaining as the social norm.

Most armageddon scenarios, use some form of destruction but don't focus on the final results. Most of these scenarios simply go through destructive turbulence, where human nature is not changed. Humans simple rebuild or are exterminated from the earth. It is often based on a random sampling approach for the final results. The bible scenario suggests a process, leading to change.

As an example of what I am trying to say, science has strong evidence that suggests that humans have around for 1-2 million years. After civilization appeared, about 6-10 thousand years ago, these precusor breeds of humans disappeared, as the new humans took over. The transition, would have started with both types of humans at the same time. It ended with only the new type.

If you look at what the bible says, the final humans that remain are very positive, peaceful and natural. The current breed of humans, connected to the civilization, is moving in that direction but can't seem to get the job done.

If you run a parallel between the caveman breed and earliest civilization breed, the cavemen originally dominated and may have worked hard to sabbatage this new breed who was an easy target due to farming. But as the new breed of humans progressed the tide turned and the cavemen became obsolete.

The cavemen where far more natural, at the top of the natural food chain, with some key skills that allowed them to better control the environment. To become civilized from that state, the brain somehow got a boost. This suggests armageddon connected to another brain boost, that will alter the playing field so evolution can move forward another stage as a new human emerges.

This is very interesting because according to the I-Ching 'Before the beginning of something of great brilliance, there must initially be chaos.' I've tried to begin new things but all I've met is indifference. Maybe I am one of these new men but if so at 57 I'm fed up trying I can tell you!