Science Forums

Vista SP1

Well I have just loaded up Vista SP1 and wonder if anybody has had any problems.

Considering that I had relatively few problems before the update, I was worried if things would stop working after being 'fixed'.

Fortunately (for me) everything still works, and by the looks of things, minor problems with third party drivers (USB TV etc) have been resolved in this 65 MB update.

I have upgraded the Vista on my MacBook Pro and so far it seems fine.

But then I only spend about 10 minutes a day in Windows in order to register my hours (employer uses a system that requires an ActiveX plugin, thus I need 15Gigs of Vista in order to use it).

But then I only spend about 10 minutes a day in Windows in order to register my hours (employer uses a system that requires an ActiveX plugin, thus I need 15Gigs of Vista in order to use it).

Hi Tormod,

While all of my older 16 bit and 32 bit apps run well on Vista and my 16 bit development environment runs quite acceptably it is impossible to load the MS VS 6.0 development environment.

So it looks like my new Vista machine is for testing and internet stuff, while my old machine is still my main development platform.

The wonders of ActiveX

couldn't have said it better myself... come to think of it, ActiveX gives me wonders every time i hear it.... i wonder, who, in their right mind would use this crappy unstable api to use in a business-essential application, and then i think a company like Autodesk, and their CAD document viewer (dwg and dwl viewers) with ActiveX plugins..... aaaah how awfully broken those are.....

Mind needs to stop wondering about this platform....

On another note, i have heard mixed reviews of this SP, some people were like sweet, i got stuff working, others were like crap it just borked everything..... so i'm impartial so far

Well I have just loaded up Vista SP1 and wonder if anybody has had any problems.

Considering that I had relatively few problems before the update, I was worried if things would stop working after being 'fixed'.

Fortunately (for me) everything still works, and by the looks of things, minor problems with third party drivers (USB TV etc) have been resolved in this 65 MB update.

Dude, "Vista" and "problem" are basically the same word :naughty:

I play games but my computer had crashed so i bought new stuff and it wouldnt run on a Nvidia motherboard! Vista has so many problems. try playing some games. hehe. Lets hope vista SP1 is better than the other pack that damaged peoples computers. You play any games? vista is horrible with em.

What is your hardware specs?

There is justice on the planet, finally i am not the only person who says that vista is waaaay overrated, and actually sucks.... pretty badly.... well there is also Buffy, but at times she can play such an innocent ;) devils :evil: advocate.... you can't even say anything bad back....

High five :D

Does it make things better? Lots of folks saying no: University of Penn. Recommends Against Vista SP1

At least one university liberal enough to accept the deeply flawed and mostly rejected Vista OS is recommending faculty and students stay away from SP1. "University of Pennsylvania tech staffers are advising faculty and students not to upgrade their computers to the new service pack for Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system...

Infoworld (I think) also said this week that SP1 breaks a bunch of applications including--if you can believe it--*Zone Alarm*, one of the most widely installed programs (for those of you who still don't think that M$ would ever unfairly use its technology to suppress the competition....)

She said sweetly.... :evil:

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before, ;)

Buffy

Infoworld (I think) also said this week that SP1 breaks a bunch of applications including--if you can believe it--*Zone Alarm*, one of the most widely installed programs (for those of you who still don't think that M$ would ever unfairly use its technology to suppress the competition....)

While I'd load Zone Alarm as standard on any pre Vista MS OS (and don't forget that the latest Zone Alarm won't work on Win98/ME etc), after so many years of defending the trenches there's not really that much difference between the products anymore (especially for the users who really don't have to know, or don't have a clue, about what's happening on their PC.).

So the result is probably around 1 all at the moment, commerce wise, especially as phishing appears to be coming to the fore, being that the weak link in any type of system remains the human operator.

While I'd load Zone Alarm as standard on any pre Vista MS OS (and don't forget that the latest Zone Alarm won't work on Win98/ME etc), after so many years of defending the trenches there's not really that much difference between the products anymore (especially for the users who really don't have to know, or don't have a clue, about what's happening on their PC.).

I actually argue that the biggest problem right now is zombie mailbots, and if people would just use Zone Alarm or Kaspersky or some such, we'd have a *lot* fewer of them. MS Firewall--even on Vista--does nothing to catch outbound anything, and some argue that they're actually trying to kill SMTP so that everyone will just have to use Exchange or one of their branded (msn, hotmail, etc) mail portals....

Do you really like getting all that spam Laurie?

Free speech is to a great people what winds are to oceans and malarial regions, which waft away the elements of disease and bring new elements of health; and where free speech is stopped, miasma is bred, and death comes fast, :)

Buffy

I highly recommend using Comodo over Zone alarm and so forth, the firewalls is utterly awesome, and for a little inconvenience, you get a lot of payout in security and knowing what is going on with your machine.

I hate Symantec and McAffee, so i would go with anything but them, Kaspersky works really well, priced well as well, and honestly if you don't feel like paying anyone, there are free antivirus solutions out there.... clamav not being the last one of them...

While all of my older 16 bit and 32 bit apps run well on Vista and my 16 bit development environment runs quite acceptably it is impossible to load the MS VS 6.0 development environment.

That really says it all right there, "I can't run my MS development environment of my MS machine". :) I wonder how many man-hours the whole Vista blunder will end up costing the corporate world?

• 2 weeks later...