Science Forums

Vista SP1

I actually argue that the biggest problem right now is zombie mailbots, and if people would just use Zone Alarm or Kaspersky or some such, we'd have a *lot* fewer of them. MS Firewall--even on Vista--does nothing to catch outbound anything, and some argue that they're actually trying to kill SMTP so that everyone will just have to use Exchange or one of their branded (msn, hotmail, etc) mail portals....

Hi Buffy,

You cannot prevent people from clicking on things they shouldn't, regardless of how much protection they have.

Do you really like getting all that spam Laurie?

Being a bloke I used to get all the spam for both penile and breast enhancements. I don't anymore because my ISP is good one and added spam filters.

That really says it all right there, "I can't run my MS development environment of my MS machine". :) I wonder how many man-hours the whole Vista blunder will end up costing the corporate world?

Hi C1ay,

The important thing is that the MS VS runtime loads OK and programs developed in the MS environment on XP/2000 still run on Vista.

Software developers have had to put up with this type of rubbish since the 60,000 program errors (errors in programs that would not allow them to run on Win 2000) that caused the dreaded windows wobble bug.

BTW, speaking about blunders, when MS VS 6.0 released their Sp3, which allowed external debugging with line numbers on failure, the answer was quite clear. While concatenating numbers and logicals (or whatever types) together might be an interesting feature (with obscure applications) changing the type of a global variable in a lower level 64k code block (blocks done by the development environments interpreter not the developer), that then returns to the higher level code block, with the original type, causes the COM object to generate another instance of itself. If the sequence is repeated the extra COM objects will eventually reach the MS VS 6 COM object limit of 8, the program 'wobbles' and falls on its head.

The important thing is....

The important thing is that MS does one of the worst jobs in the world of programming in actually debugging its crap before releasing it on the public. Vista is an alpha quality product and SP1 doesn't even get it up to beta...

problem is that they constantly change so much stuff, the fixed code they had for the xp kernel is no longer useful in vista. If they were to stay with an expandable kernel that will get better with releases, they would have a much better product all together. I don't have a problem with windows, its a lot of work that goes into it, my main problem is with microsoft policy and methods of selling, more then anything else. But yeah it's like they finally get one product to stable release quality, and they overhaul the whole thing and release an alpha-quality product yet again.

You cannot prevent people from clicking on things they shouldn't

that's what guns are for B)

but no, in all reality, i don't think that that is what buffy meant to say anyways.

you can educate people on not clicking random stuff, but even then accidents will happen. but if you match it with a protection suite and firewall rules and other security precautions, you will eliminate the risk of that click causing damage by that much more.

btw in today's world, clicking hyper links will give away passwords, and upload your browser cache to remote servers. but if you have systems to detect such activity, you will be that much more protected

The important thing is that MS does one of the worst jobs in the world of programming in actually debugging its crap before releasing it on the public. Vista is an alpha quality product and SP1 doesn't even get it up to beta...

Hi C1ay,

I used to develop software for telecommunications engineers before the internet became generally available. It was only in 1990 that we enabled dial up into our lan via ISDN, the internet became available at uni in 1993 while the first ISP in my area set up in the mid '90's.

Back then there was never any need for updates, ever, unless you were loading the latest release.

Maybe there should be a paradigm shift away from an OS with multiple 'life' sustaining (or sucking if you like) and strongly grafted on intensive care systems, before the patient dies.

Hmmm, separating the 'twins' might be a good idea.

Infoworld (I think) also said this week that SP1 breaks a bunch of applications including--if you can believe it--*Zone Alarm*, one of the most widely installed programs (for those of you who still don't think that M$ would ever unfairly use its technology to suppress the competition....)

Hi Buffy,

It looks like Checkpoint has Zone Alarm working on Vista SP1.

ZoneAlarm Firewall (Windows 2000/XP) - Reviews and free ZoneAlarm Firewall (Windows 2000/XP) downloads at Download.com

You will see 'vista' on download.com's page but the other screens only shows 2000/XP. When you run the install program there is an option for loading Vista or XP/2000.

On the downside you might have to start up twice before you can access the internet. On the upside you don't have to worry when ZA detects Computer Associates Anti virus and wants you to uninstall it like XP because it doesn't interfere with it.

One down, how many to go?