Science Forums

Why Smoke when Lung Cancer is a leading cause of death?

Star30

For any of my Hypo-friends that are interested, as of tonight at about 10:00 I will be at nine days without a cigarette. :)

So far, I've made it through several more triggers, and I'm finding that it is not as difficult as I thought it would be. I believe my mental resolve about it is part of the reason why. I even sat in the smoking section at lunch yesterday.

Still have a long way to go and a bunch more triggers to overcome.

Well done, mate. Just remember to stay with it and focussed. Don't be like the guy at the water tower who hasn't seen a boat in a week and falls asleep, so then misses the one which shows up. :rolleyes:

Keep your attention and focus.

If you (or others reading this) have a relapse moment, then use it as an opportunity to see where you were weak and where you need to incorporate the new experience you learned in your temporary and passing mistake into your strategy for next time. A major problem is that many people use a relapse as a reason to reinforce their feelings of helplessness, and as a reason to avoid quitting next time... instead of an opportunity to see where the plan needs to be adjusted or where life offers it's biggest triggers.

The truth is, you don't want to relapse. I get that. However, if by some chance you do (remember, you don't, but... ), then look at what you did wrong. Learn from the mistake. Incorporate the new information into your plan (what did I do wrong? what triggered it? can I avoid it? what can I do instead... Next Time)... Just don't give up.

Remember, you don't want to relapse, and you don't want any excuses to. That's the focus. Just makse sure that... IF a relapse happens it is a bump in the road which has given a reason to learn... acute... temporary... not a catastrophic end point.

Most of this post was not for Reason, but for others who may be reading it and facing these same challenges.

For Reason, well done. It's been ten days now and counting. Stay with it, and try not to need the ideas above. One of these days (probably more than a month from two or now if you're like me), you'll just stop counting. :cup:

:)

If you (or others reading this) have a relapse moment, then use it as an opportunity to see where you were weak and where you need to incorporate the new experience you learned in your temporary and passing mistake into your strategy for next time. A major problem is that many people use a relapse as a reason to reinforce their feelings of helplessness, and as a reason to avoid quitting next time... instead of an opportunity to see where the plan needs to be adjusted or where life offers it's biggest triggers.

The truth is, you don't want to relapse. I get that. However, if by some chance you do (remember, you don't, but... ), then look at what you did wrong. Learn from the mistake. Incorporate the new information into your plan (what did I do wrong? what triggered it? can I avoid it? what can I do instead... Next Time)... Just don't give up.

Excellent advice INow. Very wise indeed.

The statement of yours I bolded above is particularly important because it can be applied to so many aspects of our lives and the challenges we face. I learned from a young age that it is our mistakes that offer the best opportunities to learn. My mother always reminded me that mistakes should be seen as gifts because of the opportunity for improvement they offer. Of course, we have to be willing to receive those gifts, and make the necessary changes in order to reap the reward. Otherwise, we'll keep getting re-gifted.

I appreciate you guy's support. I actually succeeded through another big trigger last night. I went to hang out with one of my buddies to see his new, two week old baby girl (he's 41 :cup::)) and have a few cocktails, and he smokes. I made it through the whole night without having a single one, and even stood out in the cold to chat with him while he smoked. That was a major accomplishment for me. I was really tempted. The rationalization centers of my brain were dialed up to 11, :rolleyes: and there was a lot of chatter going on. I treated it like I was litterally being challenged by someone, and it was either put up or shut up. And I put up by simply setting it aside in my mind. There was real empowerment in it, and that's what I'm taking from the situation.

More work ahead.

I'd have been rippin that bugger out of his hand.....Gimmme!!!

One quick hit won't hurt! Just one! Yeah then I'll go back to quittin...

Christ, do you think that didn't occur to me.....constantly? :cup:

I had to keep telling myself that the reality is.....one doesn't actually mean one. One means one now, and therefore one later in a similar situation, and so on. That's exactly the rationalization I was up against.

First round goes to REASON. :rolleyes:

Christ, do you think that didn't occur to me.....constantly? :rant:

I had to keep telling myself that the reality is.....one doesn't actually mean one. One means one now, and therefore one later in a similar situation, and so on. That's exactly the rationalization I was up against.

First round goes to REASON. :confused:

Yeah! I'd be rather surprised if it hadn't!

But that's the difference between you and I...not only would I have thought it, I'd have done it! And again I congratulate you on not making the choice that I would have made in your shoes.

This is part of why I'm not even trying to quit "cold turkey"...I know I'll fail...or falter then give it up as hopeless and not worth the agrivation. < that word is rather irritating to spell and therefore after a half a dozen tries not worth any more effort.

The other reasons- the rather short fused Irate person I turn into, and two previous failed attempts.

Are you pickin on me?:confused:

Meany!:)

Ain't no-one gonna get me to do Yoga! (fun to watch though!:rant:)

Maybe some relatively harmless form of martial arts.

(Something where it isn't too likely that I'll hurt myself or others.;)

In any case none of these options would help much at work.

For home stressors there's investing more time into my hobbies ...most importantly my cello which does wonders to sooth my nerves on a good day and infuriates me to no end on a bad (I'm on my 4th bow)...I'd like to get back to painting as well....verrrry relaxing good or bad day.

Victor Sazer's book, 'New Directions in Cello Playing:'

"It is far better for cellists to learn from the martial arts of the Far East, which focus on balancing the body, loosening joints, relaxing muscles, using body weight rather than flexed muscles for strength, and breathing in ways to promote balance and ease." Somewhat paradoxically, strength can be achieved with a degree of looseness, balance, and ease of motion.

Lookin into various classes and types...after all If it can help with stress management and my playing it has to be a good thing... down to .75 packs a day for the 3nd day now...bought just enough papers and tobaco to last until FRI. and will not be buying more until then.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update.

As of this evening at about 10:00, it will have been 21 days since my last cigarette.

I've made it through some toughies including Happy Hour after work last Friday.

But it's getting easier every day. :turtle:

WOOHOO!!!
/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif
:doh:

Good going Reason! :smart:

I must say it motivates me even more to quit. I'm turning 30 in a week and I never imagined myself smoking this long when I started. :whip-new:

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is older, but Congrats to all of you that have quit. For the others that are struggling..

I'm what you might call a passive smoker now. I can smoke a pack and a half for weeks, even months, and then just phase it out again..but that wasn't true years ago. When I finally figured out something about myself, quitting wasn't/isn't hard at all....it just kind of happened...

For some of us, it's not only addiction, but Psychological Reactance.

An emotional reaction to social pressures, rules or regulations that threaten or eliminate specific behavioral freedoms, or threaten our "right to choice", especially ones that we enjoy. Fear can cause this reaction too, like the pictures of lung cancer etc...

Everytime people harped on me to quit, I smoked twice as much. Everytime someone acted like I was the walking plague, I grew furious...and smoked like a chimney. Everytime someone tried to shove the lastest "study" down my throat, again, I smoked even more. There wasn't one day that went by that I didn't feel or see some kind of pressure in action, from one source or another. And I was angry about it....

Once I realized that I had this characteristic, I started caring less and less about social pressure and peers. Anybody said anything, I just stated quite frankly that I loved smoking, and was never gonna quite. It always shuts them up.

To alleviate pressures from health sources and my own fears, I found medical studies that helped balance everything that the media was pushing or that showed that the dangers are more of an "added risk", kind of like the risk of cheeseburgers & greasy fries that some people eat daily.. and I excepted those risks..

Once I let go of the stigma's, negative communications, condemnations and pressures, the reactance just faded away and I found myself smoking less and less. For me, smoking was/is my choice, no matter what you, they or the medical community says. Not letting any kind of pressure affect me mentally, makes it easier to physically "conform" as they say, naturally.

Although I'm back in my smoking groove again, (only smoke at home anymore) I always keep it in the back of my mind that I can quit anytime I WANT TO. Not because Joe blow down the street thinks I should, and screw the social stigma's. As far as the addiction part goes, the gum works great.

Psychologic Reactance...happens when you are force feeding a baby...

Acceptance and compliance comes the minute you put down the spoon and they attempt to fed themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smoky bar triggered fatal asthma attack - Allergies and asthma - MSNBC.com

Just wanted to comment on this. I have allergic reactive airway disease to certain perfumes/colognes/hairsprays only, and have to carry an emergency inhaler. Studies show that there is over 1,000,000 others with the same problem. Along with the ban on smoking in public, I think there needs to be a ban on wearing perfumes/colognes and hairsprays in public places too.

Thanks for the posting Celeste, it's always interesting to read another perspective. I feel it necessary to point out that there are many different ways to look at smoking whether with negative judgement or advocating and dismissing alleged risks. Take a deep breath, the media is bad, but is it that bad that you get yourself worked up?

Back to the lead question, Why do you continue to smoke when it could cause your death? Do you dismiss this fact? I know you say you will quit when you want. Ok, so when do you think you will quit? What do you think when you are smoking?

My mom has smoked for approx 30+ years. She smoked when she was pregnant with me and as I grew up I continued to breath it in. I didn't develop asthma like other kids do, I was lucky. Why take the risk that the baby or child might have health problems or miscarriage? I smoked, but always outside and never where I would bother anyone else. I did not smoke while I was pregnant. I asked my mom not to smoke around the baby and she was offended. I don't want my baby to get sick and she is offended?

This was 11 years ago, but it sticks in my mind when I think about it. We all need to advocate for the children no matter what age and for each other to better our health. If you haven't started smoking, don't. If you do smoke, think about quiting and if you are leaning towards quitting JUST QUIT! You can do it, just decide and stick with it, and don't go back.

Oh yeah, My mom has COPD and Emphysema. She could die suffocating. How awful is that!

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update.

As of this evening at about 10:00, it will have been 21 days since my last cigarette.

I've made it through some toughies including Happy Hour after work last Friday.

But it's getting easier every day. :thumbs_up

Congrats man!!:hihi:

I'm not doing so well as you but I'll get there (still at .75 pack a day)...Good news though Sweetie is also joining in on the fun!:eek2:

I figure this will make it easier on the both of us when things get tough ...always good to have someone to do it with....ya know...moral support an all that jazz....more importantly when WE'RE done there will be no smokers in the house to tempt us (work is another issue but easier to deal with, Idle time is the worst enemy of a quitter regardless of addiction.)

My husband helped me quit and it WAS EASIER that way.

Just set your mind to it and don't back down. Tell your self and/or your sweetie that there is no going back. Sure you can rationalize your smoking and tell yourself I'll only smoke one. You don't just smoke one.

Try asking yourself, Why smoke when lung cancer is a leading cause of death?

Try asking yourself, Why smoke when lung cancer is a leading cause of death?

This is based on statistical studies which are an approximation for reason. It is a one size fits all correlation, which does not reflect reality, which include exceptions to the rule. The correlation does not say anyone who smokes will automatically develop lung cancer. What it says is, in this room of X smokers, Y% of you will develop lung cancer. We don't know who, so even if this approximation for reason is irrational and may not apply to you, you are suppose to suspend your reason and get inline with the fear we are trying to induce. In other words, because statistics is an approximation for reason, and is not fully rational we get to make use of other irrational recruitment techniques to make it look even more reasonable. If we get everyone to fall in line, it makes us look almost rational.

The rational person might say, I prefer rational reasons to make sure I will be one of those unfortunate one's. If I just follow the fear, then aren't you wanting me to suspend my reason and just become irrational? Would it not make more sense for me to require you become rational instead of me become irrational? Or is that too much to expect from science?

The science's inability to offer reasons is causing many rational people to suffer. Many are sitting back waiting for you to advance to reason and are not rationally motivated enough to run with the herd using a pre-reason approach based on gambling. The gambling approach is causing many to play the ponies, since there are no logical reasons provided. One way or the other, your pre-reason approach appears to be making all sides irrational. The pro-side is getting even more irrational, now willing to force conformity, even without rational reasons, other than your one side fits all the gambling system based on fear.

This is based on statistical studies which are an approximation for reason. It is a one size fits all correlation, which does not reflect reality, which include exceptions to the rule. The correlation does not say anyone who smokes will automatically develop lung cancer. What it says is, in this room of X smokers, Y% of you will develop lung cancer. We don't know who, so even if this approximation for reason is irrational and may not apply to you, you are suppose to suspend your reason and get inline with the fear we are trying to induce. In other words, because statistics is an approximation for reason, and is not fully rational we get to make use of other irrational recruitment techniques to make it look even more reasonable. If we get everyone to fall in line, it makes us look almost rational.

The rational person might say, I prefer rational reasons to make sure I will be one of those unfortunate one's. If I just follow the fear, then aren't you wanting me to suspend my reason and just become irrational? Would it not make more sense for me to require you become rational instead of me become irrational? Or is that too much to expect from science?

The science's inability to offer reasons is causing many rational people to suffer. Many are sitting back waiting for you to advance to reason and are not rationally motivated enough to run with the herd using a pre-reason approach based on gambling. The gambling approach is causing many to play the ponies, since there are no logical reasons provided. One way or the other, your pre-reason approach appears to be making all sides irrational. The pro-side is getting even more irrational, now willing to force conformity, even without rational reasons, other than your one side fits all the gambling system based on fear.

:reallyconfused:uuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh............yeah.......what you said...what did ya say?

Oh yeah anti-smokers (not former or just plain old people that don't smoke

but have no objection to those that do exercising they're own right to poison themselves) are irrational meanies. One should quit (or not) for reasons that matter to them.

Personally I'm one of those that continued to smoke because to some extent I resent their atitudes....(and of course I liked smoking and was hooked).

Sweetie and I are quitting because we're tired of the frequent sinus problems, lack of endurance, sore throats, and the unecesary expence...

Also with heart and respiratory problems running somewhat rampant in both our families it just makes sence to reduce our risks by eliminating an unnecessary (possible) contributing factor. We'd very much like to at least try to make it to our 40th aniversary some 35 years from now...and smoking no longer fits into that plan. Seem rational enough?