Science Forums

Why Smoke when Lung Cancer is a leading cause of death?

Star30

I figure at this point, might as well keep on quittin'. I figure I'll start collecting time. Let's see how much I can get. :)

Right on, brother. Good luck with it. You'll most certainly encounter obstacles, just be sure to overcome them and not submit. Also, the biggest obstacle is yourself, and fortunately, that's the only thing you truly have control over.

Git 'er done! :)

So, REASON...

What tricks do you have in your tool-kit?

What are you going to do INSTEAD when you have those cravings, or when you find yourself reaching for a cigarette?

Have you removed the ashtrays from your house, and as many of the other psychological associations you have to smoking?

Remember the 4 Ds:

Delay - Just do something ELSE for a while when you have a craving. It will usually pass within about 10 minutes.

Drink - Get a glass of water and sip it very very very slowly, almost meditatively when you have a craving.

Do Something Else - Go for a walk, do a crossword, read a research paper, eat some carrots, eat some hard candy, be like me and do some pushups or jumping jacks... just do something else so you're not sitting there ruminating on the craving.

Deep Breathing - You need to relax yourself, and concentrate. Every cell in your body is sending signals to your brain to "give me a smoke... give me a smoke... come on... come on... just one... give me a smoke." Don't listen. Deep breath, and relax. The anxiety you feel is yours to let go of, and as hard as that is, you can. Relax... Calm.... It will pass... and it will pass soon.

IIRC, after about 72 hours the physical addiction is gone, and the rest is psychological.

So, what do you have in your toolkit for when the cravings hit? What's your plan? What aces do you have up your sleeve to beat up that bully which is a nicotine addiction? :)

Way to Go REASON!

the biggest obstacle is yourself, and fortunately, that's the only thing you truly have control over.

Git 'er done! :cup:

but the second biggest is folks who hate change. Don't be surprised at their sneaky tactics to keep you hooked like them. Or push your buttons just 'cuz they can.... A little righteous anger goes a long way, be mad at yourself if you get weak, be mad at the industry for pushing this evil weed, be mad at anyone who doesn't respect your choice. Better an inner anger than alienate everyone tho....:)

Take up a handy hobby to do whenever you would usually do the old thing , drawing, knitting, manicures or whittling... you get the picture.

Good idea to loop this on the back of a cold, too. I used a cold to jumpstart a diet and it really helped the first few days. Confuses the brain signals... :) Hang in there

So, what do you have in your toolkit for when the cravings hit? What's your plan? What aces do you have up your sleeve to beat up that bully which is a nicotine addiction? :)

Well, to start with, I HAVE CONTROL.

Cigarettes aren't my master, I am the master of cigarettes. I have the power of choice. Every cigarette lit and smoked is a choice made. Every cigarette refused is a choice made.

One thing I have been pretty successful with is disassociation. To me, a key to not smoking is to disassociate smoking with activities. Reconfigure the triggers. For a couple of weeks now, I haven't even had my first smoke of the day until after work. I have fairly easily managed the daily triggers at work at least, weekends have been a bigger challenge. But that was because I allowed them to be.

One thing I've been thinking a lot about recently is my health. I'm not in bad shape. I'm not overweight, and people tell me I look young for my age. But I want to feel stronger. I've been visualizing myself as a former smoker, that has become focused on rebuilding my heart and lungs. I want to be more toned and develop greater endurance. I have an old Bowflex that I want to make a part of my daily routine. My dogs could use more walks.

As for tools, I like some of the ones you mentioned, push-ups or sit-ups would be good. Munching something healthy, and water is always important. Creating diversions. But mostly I want to confront it head on with my eyes wide open. Stare it down knowing that I have the power. And that I want to live as long as possible. There's too much to enjoy in life to be shaving off the years, spending money on death.

I have to recognize that rationalizations are irrational.

My Brother-in-law who was a dedicated smoker for 40 years quit a couple of years ago and has been successful. I intend on asking him to be someone I can call on if I feel like I'm about to give in. But you know what, the thought of "being about to give in" sounds like bullshit. It sounds pathetic. I'm not falling for it anymore. There's nothing he can say that I don't already know.

I want to start collecting time. Every minute I don't smoke goes in my pocket. It adds to the distance from my last cigarette, and get's tacked on at the end. I expect that the more time I collect, the more protective of it I'll be. Like a savings account.

I also want to become an inspiration for my dear friends, all of whom smoke, and have expressed a desire to quit. They are my brothers. Maybe I can show them that it is something they can overcome as well, and we can all live longer lives together. :)

Well, to start with, I HAVE CONTROL.

Cigarettes aren't my master, I am the master of cigarettes. I have the power of choice. Every cigarette lit and smoked is a choice made. Every cigarette refused is a choice made.

One thing I have been pretty successful with is disassociation. To me, a key to not smoking is to disassociate smoking with activities. Reconfigure the triggers. For a couple of weeks now, I haven't even had my first smoke of the day until after work. I have fairly easily managed the daily triggers at work at least, weekends have been a bigger challenge. But that was because I allowed them to be.

One thing I've been thinking a lot about recently is my health. I'm not in bad shape. I'm not overweight, and people tell me I look young for my age. But I want to feel stronger. I've been visualizing myself as a former smoker, that has become focused on rebuilding my heart and lungs. I want to be more toned and develop greater endurance. I have an old Bowflex that I want to make a part of my daily routine. My dogs could use more walks.

As for tools, I like some of the ones you mentioned, push-ups or sit-ups would be good. Munching something healthy, and water is always important. Creating diversions. But mostly I want to confront it head on with my eyes wide open. Stare it down knowing that I have the power. And that I want to live as long as possible. There's too much to enjoy in life to be shaving off the years, spending money on death.

I have to recognize that rationalizations are irrational.

My Brother-in-law who was a dedicated smoker for 40 years quit a couple of years ago and has been successful. I intend on asking him to be someone I can call on if I feel like I'm about to give in. But you know what, the thought of "being about to give in" sounds like bullshit. It sounds pathetic. I'm not falling for it anymore. There's nothing he can say that I don't already know.

I want to start collecting time. Every minute I don't smoke goes in my pocket. It adds to the distance from my last cigarette, and get's tacked on at the end. I expect that the more time I collect, the more protective of it I'll be. Like a savings account.

I also want to become an inspiration for my dear friends, all of whom smoke, and have expressed a desire to quit. They are my brothers. Maybe I can show them that it is something they can overcome as well, and we can all live longer lives together. :grouphug:

Damn dude you gots stones!!! Wish I had that kind of will power....Though I am making progress myself I'm down to just one pack from 2.5...most importantly comfortably even with a significant increase of work related stress (my super is taking lean manufacturing classes and attempting to implement her learning to our division. but the techniques she's learning will not yield the results she's looking for. My stress levels are increased tenfold easy).

Damn dude you gots stones!!! Wish I had that kind of will power....Though I am making progress myself I'm down to just one pack from 2.5...most importantly comfortably even with a significant increase of work related stress (my super is taking lean manufacturing classes and attempting to implement her learning to our division. but the techniques she's learning will not yield the results she's looking for. My stress levels are increased tenfold easy).

Good job DD! You've reduced your intake by 60%. That is very significant. One step at a time bud, one step at a time. Give yourself some kudos, adjust to this level, and then set a new goal.

As for stress, they always say the best thing for dealing with stress is exercise. It burns it out of you while benefiting your cardiovascular system. Slowly start substituting some kind of exercise for chosing to smoke when dealing with stressors. It'll seem strange at first, but it will feel normal after a while.

Keep chuggin' along, dude.

As for stress, they always say the best thing for dealing with stress is exercise. It burns it out of you while benefiting your cardiovascular system. Slowly start substituting some kind of exercise for chosing to smoke when dealing with stressors. It'll seem strange at first, but it will feel normal after a while.

I take it you have a desk type job:hihi: (If so you lucky bass turd!!)

My job IS excersize!!

I wrestle steel around 10 to 12 hours a day six days a week...I'm in constant motion for the duration...except for breaks which account for 45min of the day.

Thanks for the ecouragement though.

I'm deliberately making just enough smokes to get through the day., which kicks in my rationing instinct (I know how much coffee I have and I know how many smokes I have, they have to last until I get home o.k. I can have a cup every two hours and a smoke every 1 hour)...my mind recalculates how much at each cup and smoke...no input from me needed...the calculater just runs the numbers and gives me the result, works super well.

Now to focus on the next step shorting my supply further.

Then to purchase less rolling supplies so I have no choice but to ration further.

I take it you have a desk type job:hihi: (If so you lucky bass turd!!)

My job IS excersize!!

I wrestle steel around 10 to 12 hours a day six days a week...I'm in constant motion for the duration...except for breaks which account for 45min of the day.

B):lol:B)

Alright yes, I admit it. I currently have a desk job in an environmentally safe environment. I'm sorry. But I have to get up and go tho the bathroom every once in a while. :shrug:

Actually, I've done my bit of manual labor.....paper route, busboy, janitor, glazer, landscape construction to name a few.

But you're right, exercise obviously isn't a problem for you. So then I recommend the converse.

You need meditation and yoga to help deal with your stressors. :cup:

You need meditation and yoga to help deal with your stressors

Funny I've been thinking meditation might be just the thing to get my mind right....as for yoga, I'd likely hurt myself seeing as I lack flexibility and balance.

Actually, I've done my bit of manual labor.....paper route, busboy, janitor, glazer, landscape construction to name a few.
I used to do landscaping and construction...really enjoyed landscaping. I'm seriously starting to think I'd like to look into a desk job of sorts....never thought that would happen!..I always swore I'd never get one, as I get older my aching bones tell me it's time to consider one.

Yeah. Best way to improve matters is to do completely nothing. I've got to hand it to the iron clad logic on that one.
Are you pickin on me?:phones:

Meany!:dust:

Ain't no-one gonna get me to do Yoga! (fun to watch though!:dust:)

Maybe some relatively harmless form of martial arts.

(Something where it isn't too likely that I'll hurt myself or others.:dust:

In any case none of these options would help much at work.

For home stressors there's investing more time into my hobbies ...most importantly my cello which does wonders to sooth my nerves on a good day and infuriates me to no end on a bad (I'm on my 4th bow)...I'd like to get back to painting as well....verrrry relaxing good or bad day.

For any of my Hypo-friends that are interested, as of tonight at about 10:00 I will be at nine days without a cigarette. :)

So far, I've made it through several more triggers, and I'm finding that it is not as difficult as I thought it would be. I believe my mental resolve about it is part of the reason why. I even sat in the smoking section at lunch yesterday.

Still have a long way to go and a bunch more triggers to overcome.