Science Forums

Why Smoke when Lung Cancer is a leading cause of death?

Star30

You could prove that you're serious by just putting it under running water and then throwing them away now. :sheepjump:

Always pushing for something better. :sheepjump:

You're right, of course, I could. Problem is, I get a little irritable when I don't smoke and I don't want my fiancee to endure the worst of it this weekend. I can be miserable next week when she's not around. :tearhair:

It really hasn't been as bad as I expected, but that's probably mainly due to a few nicotine lozenges throughout the day. It is hard though.

I just finished eating dinner, and yeah, it's tough right now as that's my favorite time to smoke. It's also interesting how my hand instinctively reached for the spot where I keep kept my cigarettes in my car right before I drove away to and from work today.

I see it as a worthy challenge though. My plan is to drink lots of water. I figure that will help flush the chemicals out faster while also giving me a healthy alternative. :sherlock:

Well I've tried to quit "cold turkey" several time before but it never work for me, so this time I decided (on my birthday) that I was going to give it one more try, only this time I'm using Chantix because I didn't want to put my family through the misery I know that I'll inflict on them until I'm free.

I'll have to see how this works out, but this is day three on the pill, and my last cig will be this weekend on Sat.

Reason

'Cause it'll probably taste like decaffeinated coffee' date=' [/quote']

Funny you should say that my cig's are starting to taste that way now. :hihi:

Infinite the push-ups would be a good idea, but caan you do it if at work you share the office with a 6 people?

Is there a conference room you can walk to? Maybe a closet? It might be awkward to go do push-ups there at first, but it becomes easier (and, as time passes, you won't need to do push-ups as often since the cravings won't come as frequently and you'll be better prepared to handle them).

Alternatively, you can just go for a walk outside or around the office. While you know that you're trying to escape a craving, everyone else will just think you're trying to be more fit.

If pushups or walking in the office won't work in your situation, you can instead use one of those stress balls or grip strengtheners?

Remember that if you slip and smoke not to give up. A defeatist attitude doesn't help, and kicking yourself while you're down doesn't help you to stand up any faster. Use it as a learning experience. Analyze the situation to see what triggered you to light up. Learn from it, and start again. You now have that knowledge and will be better prepared on the next attempt, and you have one less trigger to worry about (since you know you won't make the same mistake twice).

How about you, Reason? You still smoke free (and, reading this thread)?

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply here.

I have some not-so-good news to report with my effort.

No don't worry, I haven't taken up smoking again. But I regret to say that on a few occasions recently I have given in to the old trap of "Social Smoking."

This is where you're hanging out with a few friends that smoke, and since you feel empowered by the fact that you've pretty much kicked the habit, you think there's no real harm in having just one or two with your friends and a few cocktails. You tell yourself that you'll resume quitting in the morning, and actually you do.

But.....

Because you allowed yourself to smoke on that occasion, you have cracked open the door to then allow yourself to smoke in other instances as well, and in a matter of time, you'll realize that you're sick of bummin' everyone else's smokes, and you'll buy your own again.

And then you're back to square one.

This is the trap of "Social Smoking" for someone who is a former smoker. I know, because I have fallen into this trap before, and apparently, am poised to do it again if I don't stay focused.

Honestly, I have smoked a total of about 12 cigarettes over four occasions since I quit back on 2/13/08. Sure, that's still pretty good considering I used to be a pack a day smoker. But truthfully, it's not good enough.

I'm not going to beat myself up. I'm going to be aware of the trap and avoid it.

Freezy, keep it up man. I promise it will get easier. Resist for 30 days and you'll find it to be a breeze after that, other than the eventual Social Smoking trap that will rear it's ugly head.

But I'm proud of you.

sanctus, you're next. :hihi:

The "social smoking" trap is indeed a big deception. I've quit twice prior to this time and both times I fell back into the exact same pattern you described.

Tomorrow will be a great time to test my willpower as some friends are coming over for a barbecue, and some of them smoke. I feel very confident that I can resist the urge. :hihi:

Tomorrow will be a great time to test my willpower as some friends are coming over for a barbecue, and some of them smoke. I feel very confident that I can resist the urge. :hihi:

I'm confident you can, too. And it is very empowering when you do.

Remember, you are the master. :confused:

I would get down and start doing push-ups when I had cravings. It helped it go away.

This is exactly what I did. I just did body weight exercises whenever I had a craving. The high from the work out + the exhaustion made me not want to smoke at all.

I actually kept up with the whole fitness thing, and the end of my cigarette addiction marked the beginning of my weigh lifting addiction.

To those of you still struggling, try picking up some fitness activity, or just doing light body weight workouts whenever you get a craving. And good luck to you all!!

the title is kinda like 'why have sex when AIDS will kill you?' lol anyways good luck guys with the quitting plans!

Well, if there would a preservative for the "sigarette-bad-components" I would not want to stop smoking. It is not the same there are protections against getting AIDS, as far *** I know the fact of smoking increases the risk whatsoever you do...