Science Forums

Why Smoke when Lung Cancer is a leading cause of death?

Star30

Many people start smoking after stopping for weeks, months, sometimes even years. I could never understand that until I stopped smoking through a programme that made me understand that, while the physical addiction may be strong, the psychological addiction is much stronger.

In this programme, we were gradually weaned both physically and psychologically: While we were allowed to smoke for the first four weeks, we not only cut down, but had to refrain increasingly from smoking at our "favourite" times, such as just after a meal, or while drinking coffee or alcohol, etc. By the time the programme ended, I could circumvent these triggers with ease.

Congrats man!!:)

I'm not doing so well as you but I'll get there (still at .75 pack a day)...Good news though Sweetie is also joining in on the fun!:)

I figure this will make it easier on the both of us when things get tough ...always good to have someone to do it with....ya know...moral support an all that jazz....more importantly when WE'RE done there will be no smokers in the house to tempt us (work is another issue but easier to deal with, Idle time is the worst enemy of a quitter regardless of addiction.)

Thanks for your support DD. :)

The last cigarette I had was in the evening on Feb. 13th, so it's been about two months now (60 days to be exact).

It's getting easier and easier all the time. There are still times when I think, "man, I'd love one right now," but the thought goes away real quickly now. I'm literally becoming used to not smoking. For the most part, it doesn't even occur to me any more, and besides, I have become very protective of the time I have amassed.

I have done all of this "cold turkey." This may not be the best way for everyone, but for me it was a psychological way to establish control over my behavior and take responsibility.

What ever method you choose DD is great as song as you can visualize yourself as a non-smoker again, as your were when you were young. This type of visualization is important, as well as being honest with yourself about the adverse health effects you are feeling from smoking all the time. That's what will help you to make new decisions about it.

I am testament to the fact that you, or anyone, can overcome this addiction.

Keep up the good work. I know you can do it. ;)

Don't be a quitting quitter. :hihi:

There's that dang NS word again!!!! I hate that word!!! (mostly because of the persons I associate it with)

There's got to be a better word for those that do not smoke but do not trample the rights of smokers or generally annoy those that do with "preaching".

I have the propper term for those I associate it with Anti-smoker, But They have already laid claim to NS.....damit. :)

I Know!!!!!!!! It litteraly just came to me.....I'll be a liberated smoker! Freed from my bonds of physical and psychological addictions!:hihi:

Sounds like a good program.

Basicaly this is how we are trying to do it

The great thing about it is that, on my first smoke-free day, which I had feared, I actually felt liberated - and I never, ever felt an overpowering urge to smoke again. (I've felt like a smoke now and then, but never irresistibly so.)

There's that dang NS word again!!!! I hate that word!!! (mostly because of the persons I associate it with)

There's got to be a better word for those that do not smoke but do not trample the rights of smokers or generally annoy those that do with "preaching".

I have the propper term for those I associate it with Anti-smoker, But They have already laid claim to NS.....damit. :bouquet:

I Know!!!!!!!! It litteraly just came to me.....I'll be a liberated smoker! Freed from my bonds of physical and psychological addictions!:(

I'm with you. How about Former Smoker. That way you're not hiding in shame of what you did, you just changed your habits for personal reasons. That would be FM. I can dig it. Sounds like hi-fidelity. :)

With me, I went over one of the final hurdles once I'd finally stopped counting the days it had been since the last one.

I may actually be over that hurdle. I haven't actually been counting days. I had to go back and add them up on a calendar for the sake of my post. I won't deny I was curious. I do remember the date though. I think most former smokers do hold on to that one.

I'm with you. How about Former Smoker. That way you're not hiding in shame of what you did, you just changed your habits for personal reasons. That would be FM. I can dig it. Sounds like hi-fidelity. :)

I may actually be over that hurdle. I haven't actually been counting days. I had to go back and add them up on a calendar for the sake of my post. I won't deny I was curious. I do remember the date though. I think most former smokers do hold on to that one.

I knew exactly when it was five years (incidentally, on 13 February this year.) Then I realised it did not really matter...

I knew exactly when it was five years (incidentally, on 13 February this year.) Then I realised it did not really matter...

Theat's an interesting coincidence. 2/13.

I would disagree only in that it does matter. That's five years less torture on your lungs.

Congratulations. :cap:

By the way, I don't know if you follow golf or not, but congrats to South African Trevor Immelman on his Masters victory.

I know how much you Southies like your golf. :cap:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When you have a craving (which you will), have a plan. Have a glass of water and sip it slowly. Deep breath to relax yourself. Do something else. Whether that be going for a walk, some juggling, playing a computer game, doing push-ups, some jumping jacks, or doing homework... whatever, just do something else.

Have a plan. "I know I'm going to have a craving. Here's what I am going to do INSTEAD of smoking when I have that craving."

Stay with it, man. If you're serious about this you can make it happen. Don't smoke. If you do by mistake, then don't be defeatist about it. Treat it as a mistake from which you can learn. "Here's what I did wrong this time. I need to watch out for that. I'm going to try again, and next time I won't let that same trigger make me light up." Ideally, though, don't smoke.

Gosh, if Reason can do it then anybody can... :tongue:

Have a plan, and stick to it.

Cheers guys. :turtle:

Sunday, I wanted to smoke the last one, but I smoked one on Monday night and one this morning (but now I have thrown away all the tobacco rest I had); so now the real things starts...

Ok Sanctus, here's where the work begins. Initially, it's all about recognizing your desire to smoke, deciding not to do it, and then distracting yourself. Get your mind on something else. Go juggle, do a chore, read something.

Start collecting time. As the time grows since your last smoke, you will begin to become protective of it. Recognize and avoid rationalizations. Just keep plugging away disconnecting the triggers.

You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll begin to forget about them in your daily routine. And when the thought of smoking pops back into your head it becomes much easier to discard.

Today it has been three months since I quit. I have become accustomed to not smoking. I hardly think about it anymore, and when I do, it's just a fleeting thought about something I used to do. It's just a part of who I was.

Most importantly, you will appreciate how much better you feel physically and mentally for kicking it's ***.

Good luck, Sanctus. And remember.....YOU CAN DO IT!!! :juggle:

• 1 month later...