Science Forums

The sound post

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

The tuning eadghd has most of the sebastopol sound
H?!?!?! Where the **** is "h" !!???!??:D

I'm quite fond of wierd tunings and progressions (sometimes I even wish I knew what my instruments are tuned too...but only sometimes...I tend to just tweak until my ear says it sounds right for what I'm trying to play....which according to the ol D/T is usually nowhere near a proper note)....and for whatever wierd reason using drone notes in the mix...especially fond of the drone...must be all those years of repeated exposure to bluegrass and pipe music.:rolleyes:

H?!?!?! Where the **** is "h" !!???!??:D

I'm quite fond of wierd tunings and progressions (sometimes I even wish I knew what my instruments are tuned too...but only sometimes...I tend to just tweak until my ear says it sounds right for what I'm trying to play....which according to the ol D/T is usually nowhere near a proper note)....and for whatever wierd reason using drone notes in the mix...especially fond of the drone...must be all those years of repeated exposure to bluegrass and pipe music.:rolleyes:

Your words sound good :) Unfortunately Im Swedish, and in the medieval age a copying monk mistook "b" for "h", and the mistake stuck ever since!

Ill edit it out immediately:Hey LawCat does the same!? He is Swedish!

Its gone but it will undoubtly enter again I try to write b but habits die hard! Many times theres a h instead of b and i dont react...

LOL! no don't.:rolleyes: You'll ruin the punchline :D

As for Lawcat...I dunno.....he's a strange chap

Edit:

Damn too late!!!:P

The m#take is hack.There.Ill celebrate: Here is a six bar blues i posted somewhere:

The chords are E major G Major and A major

E four bars, G one and A one, and smack back to E. Bey! its seven or eight bars!?

It is in E Major and has no Dominant chord

Intro: A high wide spaced chord: e g# g e Real fast strumming, stop

The melody? d. c# b a (blue g#) two times

(in the missing first verse i use flageolette terses

accompaning the first occurence of the melody)

bass ef# g/ G chord

mel ef# g/ g g...

Chord A rings out then: smack(pull and release string so it hits the fret) string bass note e on twelfth fret slide downwards imitating a stone crashing and falling.

mel: silence... b g e (blue g#). ( Coda is E A,chord:e g# d e)

The text is in swedish.

Goes something like this:

1 As if there was a beach

just there for me and her

itll be the harbour

where we may (smack/slide) meet.

2 Oh how i wait for her

I just made our necklaces

with shells i found in the sand

please! (smack/slide) come to me

3 Look there are two stones

just like me and her

come let us listen (smack/slide)

they sing our song

Here is the sense of missing first verse:

Hey there poet,im trying out

your words, but they were made for elves... and im (smack/slide) a stone

Missing second:

So thank you dear poet,

your words became my blues,

with sand, with shells,

with ships (smack/slide) that never meet

Oh so that's why Germanic folks talk about ha moll and ha scharf... now I finally know! :D

It's not only in Swedish dude! ;)

Ahem...öööhhhh... Sweden isnt all there is? ...Well I dont travel a lot. :beer-fresh:

Guitar tunings continued:

Heres a substitute for the tuning I dont remember:

(Remember that some tunings needs restringing in order to really shine)

Improvisation in A Minor

A Minor: eacece or 000000

"x" means damped string: play 3x0003

You play what looks as a G Major Chord

as long as u dare... then play 000000

Light a cig with left hand then play 000232 four times, 000121 four times, flageolett 12,12,12,12,12,12,

(f= finger)Now you are supposed to improvise using at least 000f0f and/or f00f0f, do the flageolette now and then just move your grip around (if adventurous then try 00f0f0). And finish with 000343,000242,

000121,3x0000

Being in A nine(perhaps practicing the bar) is three steps away from A Minor. Easiest step first: raising b to c gives "i dont bother about its real name since it should be A Blues since the seven and major terse and minor terse is in there". (Beginners practise B7= 2x12x2 on all frets checking if x should sound or not)...its D major actually, A Major is 003210,and E7 is 023420 The idea is to start in normal tuning and arrive in A Minor as dicretely as possible :)

Start an easy blues in A in normal tuning,second verse in A9(there using bar as much as possible)finish it in Am7:

Lowering d# to d gives A Minor seven,A7 is 001010(movable) D7 is 000222 E7 is 02x120(A good movable E is 02x1x0) now tune g down to e while strumming, then begin: Improvisation in A Minor.

what is this ? Some of us only know what we are try to play by what we heard (in our head or from an external source). Spose I could google it but I'm lazy (and tired)

Dont google, ask me instead ;)

Its making overtones: you touch the string with left finger lightly at a fret, pluck the string with right finger and instantly takes away left finger. If it is done right the string sings with a higher note than otherwise.

Twelfth fret gives octave, 5ft gives an even higher(but weaker) octave and seventh fret gives a quint.

Using little finger on 12 and index finger on 7 a pentatonic scale (or blues scale)can be played.

Striking TWO neighboring strings gives the scale in fourths interval...

Basically a No3chord...

Striking all with the bar gives a massive chord (Damp out dissonances).

Theres more to say but this was the basics.

When you admit you can do the f:s then ill print what i play to the first melody line in the blues :)

You play electric? Then I envy you, you can play stronger fs than I can.

Ooooooooh.....I call that playin a harmonic.

I play electric, acoustic, and classical guitar

electric bass guitar

cello amplified and not

double bass amplified and not

Piano- recently electrified with spring reverb fitted

keyboard/synth

Sax

dulcimer electrified and not

hammered dulcimer electrified and not

banjo electrified and not

trumpet

flute

clarinet & bass clarinet

violin electrified and not

organ- Hammond A-105

jews harp

jug

drums electrified and not

custom tinkered tone circuits

accordian

harmonica

and theremin

almost forgot mandolin

dobro

pedal steel and lap steel

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Impressive...besides guitar I also play chess :)

Harmonics it is then!

I guess you can get the them harmonics right then.

Its a bit late here...

You live in an instrument shop?

I didnt use harmonics a lot so I still have difficulties with them...

Especially when I try producing them on chords.

Impressive...besides guitar I also play chess :)

Harmonics it is then!

I guess you can get the them harmonics right then.

Its a bit late here...

You live in an instrument shop?

I didnt use harmonics a lot so I still have difficulties with them...

Especially when I try producing them on chords.

Music store? I WISH!!! coulda saved years of gettin em the hard way!:D

Harmonics- depends on the day, how bad I trash my hands at work, how hot/cold/humid it is and what kind of mood I'm in...I've noticed my Jag gives em up VERY easily, such a marvelous bass I've only had it a couple of weeks so I'm still learning what it's capable of...makes things fun cuz there's a new surprise every time I play it. Can't wait till my budget allows some upgrades...I've already got my eyes on strings and pickups.... thinking a second Jazz pickup or switch to a 'bucker at the bridge, a D'Marzio P/bass split dual blade-bucker in the middle, and a second Marzio right at the neck (currently no pickup there, Why is that anyway, never see basses with neck p'ups) plus an upgrade to concentric knobs with vol. and tone for all three with boost and master tone for the fourth position, add to that a tele 3-way, a strat 5-way or a six position rotary P'up selector, and two blend knobs ala Fender Jazzmaster (mounted sideways thru the pickguard) to allow lots of tonal options with more rapid and accurate switching between tonal characteristics.

I like chess as well, but am terrible at it.

How does one end up like I....well here's what's been typical for a weekend at dad's going back as far as I can remember...he's the long haired fellow playin dulcimer. Also plays banjo, dobro, hammered dulcimer, and 12 string gitbox, sings pretty good too. When he ain't hidin' from our winters up here he plays with The Good For Nuthin String Band. The folks in the video are friends of his from his winter hiding place.

http://www.youtube.c...WG8L3GkZ5LsawoH

OOOOOO....neat stuff in the works....playing with shapes...perhaps fractals can be applied in a musical format....Turtle needs to dig up the catabak thread so I can reference his work there...I think i finally have figured out how to use it as well.

mmm...i feel a dulcimer thinimal coming on. :painting:

here's the power series of qatabataq tables:

katabatak powers

the original thread is a den of loose rock, sharp drop-offs, and darkness that even a coal miner would curse. a lot of the graph images are missing as they did not transfer with the last forum software change and i haven't repaired them. instead of that, here's my gallery folder of tables...erhm...scores. appropriately titled, Studio K. :D

studio k

let me know if you want some special form or some such musical matter. :Whistle: