Science Forums

The sound post

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

bowed how?

I don't think my neck is bowed at all but I'm trying to visualize what you mean by bowed.

Like bent backward or forward?

Or side to side?

1st. side to side!!!!!!!!??? you're pretty much screwed!

2nd. like a bow and arrow bow (concave string side) (results in high action and occasional fret buzz above 12th)

3rd. a bow in the neck opposite the string side (convex) is refered to as a hump. (this one results in lots of fret buzz and inability to play notes below the hump)

luckily my guitar is showing none of these symptoms so I'm going to leave her be..

thanks for the information, fellas.

Good choice. :hihi:

Incedently a good aluminum or steel straight edge (a yard/meter stick is ideal) is a must when making any adjustment or modification to an instruments neck. It must be absolutely straight though!

Very good advice. I wish I had employed a meter stick or some other straight edge when I was working with the truss.

I can't envision what you are talking about. What do you mean by "two pieces of angle to one end"?

Picture an aluminum metre stick with aluminum angle stock (L) welded on both sides yielding a 2 inch long section shaped like a upside down capital T at one end and this> l at the other . I prefer this to simply laying it flat as they do flex a bit which would cause problems with accuracy.

Picture an aluminum metre stick with aluminum angle stock (L) welded on both sides yielding a 2 inch long section shaped like a upside down capital T at one end and this> l at the other . I prefer this to simply laying it flat as they do flex a bit which would cause problems with accuracy.

I still don't get it. :turtle:

The words I bolded are probably my biggest area of confusion. You said it is like a "T" and then you said it looks like >- ? :bounce:

Perhaps explaining how you use it would help me understand its form. Why is it more accurate than just laying a meter stick flat across the fretboard?

I still don't get it. :turtle:

The words I bolded are probably my biggest area of confusion. You said it is like a "T" and then you said it looks like >- ? :bounce:

Perhaps explaining how you use it would help me understand its form. Why is it more accurate than just laying a meter stick flat across the fretboard?

O.k. get a piece of paper and a pen....

now draw a vertical line...this is the end view of the metre stick.

Now right on the left side of the vertical line draw a backwards " L "this is one of the aluminum angles...

Now on draw a " L" on the right side of the vertical line this is the second piece of angle....Note you should now have an upside down T. This is the end I clamp to the neck right next to the "nut"

O.k. now draw another vertical line this is what the bridge end of the metre stick looks like as you look at it

Hope that helps so far.

Next... why is it better to use the metre stick on it's side rather than to lay it flat?

They're rather flexible one way (flat).. not really a good thing when you're trying for straight... and quite rigid the other way (on it's edge) IDEAL for obtaining good results. ex. a straight neck or perfectly shaved frets.

Christmas must hurry

hurry christmas hurry
/forums/images/smilies/devilsign.gif

Seriously Christmas needs to hurry up!!!!

I ain't joking!!dammit!!!!!!! Santa where the **** are you!!

I needs new strings like a crackhead needs a fix!

God they sound like crap! Awfull!

I need a rehair too!!!! *(me and my bows!!!!:D) and rossin!!! lots of it!!!!

SANTAAAAAAAAA! OOOOOOooooooooooooh saNTAAaaaa!
/forums/images/smilies/devilsign.gif

Come on man I've been a really relatively good boy all year.....gimme goodies....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz! PRETTY PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Finally good strings!!!

My new strings are finally settling....sooooooo nice.....sooo very nice...

Mrs. Clause was very good to Santa this year!

So nice to play strings that are responsive and full of warmth vs the cheapy steels I've been accustomed to. Much more inspiring...I'm playing nearly twice as much and enjoying it ten times as much.

Sweetie got hold of the cellist from dads band and bought the strings she recomended... sadly not true gut (recomended against due to their instability and cost) but very nice.

Finally good strings!!!

My new strings are finally settling....sooooooo nice.....sooo very nice...

Mrs. Clause was very good to Santa this year!

So nice to play strings that are responsive and full of warmth vs the cheapy steels I've been accustomed to. Much more inspiring...I'm playing nearly twice as much and enjoying it ten times as much.

Sweetie got hold of the cellist from dads band and bought the strings she recomended... sadly not true gut (recomended against due to their instability and cost) but very nice.

So are ya gonna tell us what kind of strings you got? :hihi:

Sure!:hihi:

They're Pirastro Synoxa's

(Wow, handmade in Germany:)...guess I was too eager to put em on to notice:shrug:)

C4- silver/perlon

G3- silver/perlon

D2-aluminim/perlon

A1-aluminum/perlon

Yeah I know they're towards the entry level of Pirastro's line-up but they're the best I've had the opportunity to play on...and I can at least afford to replace these whenthe time comes....Someday I'll know the joy of playing with true cello strings (non-wound gut). (still waaaaaaaaay out of my budget's limitations!!!!!!)