Science Forums

The sound post

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Hey Orbsycli!!!

Thanks again for steering me to Last.fm!!!

I could not believe the amount of Cello music there nor the variety...lots to inspire...good bye boredom!!!

The toughest problem I face (even harder than picking up a different instrument) is the boredom with cookie cutter/mainstream music. Yeah rock is great, yeah classical is great, yeah blues is great woo... hoo...yay.:girlneener:

Don't get me wrong I still have my faves I'm just tired of the same ol same ol.

I need musical adventure!!

Maybe I'm just jaded having played for so long. But too much of the same ol thing sucks! I need NEW music, stuff that's origional, different, etc.:rolleyes: You know the stuff that almost never makes it to the radio but is ooooh sooooo gooooood!

Found me sum there... ended up joining. thanx!!:painting:

Ok, here's one for you!

Celloist Claire Fitch, from Ireland, is a pioneer in cello music, mixing her cello sounds with the likes of electronica and ambient music. I recommend checking her out. Also, she has made several soundfonts, and samples in various other formats, of her cello which are quite good in quality. I sometimes use them in my productions. Enjoy:

fitchsounds.com

Errrr...apparently, she's pulled all her publicly available music. I've written her for permission to share what I have and potentially free links to her music. We'll see...

Hey Orbsycli!!!

Thanks again for steering me to Last.fm!!!

I could not believe the amount of Cello music there nor the variety...lots to inspire...good bye boredom!!!

The toughest problem I face (even harder than picking up a different instrument) is the boredom with cookie cutter/mainstream music. Yeah rock is great, yeah classical is great, yeah blues is great woo... hoo...yay.:girlneener:

Don't get me wrong I still have my faves I'm just tired of the same ol same ol.

I need musical adventure!!

Maybe I'm just jaded having played for so long. But too much of the same ol thing sucks! I need NEW music, stuff that's origional, different, etc.:rolleyes: You know the stuff that almost never makes it to the radio but is ooooh sooooo gooooood!

Found me sum there... ended up joining. thanx!!:painting:

Ok, here's one for you!

Cellist Claire Fitch, from Ireland, is a pioneer in cello music, mixing her cello sounds with the likes of electronica and ambient music. I recommend checking her out. Also, she has made several soundfonts, and samples in various other formats, of her cello which are quite good in quality. I sometimes use them in my productions. Enjoy:

fitchsounds.com

Errrr...apparently, she's pulled all her publicly available music. I've written her for permission to share what I have and potentially free links to her music. We'll see...

Just found her on "rhapsody"

Playing Seascape whilst I type> Exactly the one of the sounds that made me want a cello to begin with. Yup that's it fer sher!!

Decided to play her album "ambiencellist" in full.

Thanx!

Awesome, I'm on rhapsody right now as well, so I'm going to check out what she has there. :girlneener:

CHEAP PIEZO PICKUPS!!!!!!

I'm sure most people already know this but cheapy piezo transducer buzzers at electronics

stores (ie. r@d!o shak) or free via old junk you may have lying around make very good mics and pickups. Sound quality requires some experimenting with mounting but is reasonably decent. More than good enough for recording for future reference and composing...probably not for performance or mastering work. I've got one in a wing on my cello bridge. It's o.k. not great definitly worth experimenting with more to try to improve the sound. (beats $100+ for the "real" thing for now.)

Incidently I don't like R@d!oSh@k but I figure everyone has heard of them. They have an EXTREMELY LIMITED SELECTION OF GOODIES basicly one little corner the rest is mostly toys but I've yet to find any other source in my area and I have neither checking account or credit card so online ordering is probably out.

Well that was easier than expected...with pleasing results I might add.

After loosing my strings I fed both through the sound hole and glued them in with hide glue directly below the bridge...nice bright sweet tone. one of the ribs did pose a slight issue though do to it's location.

Incedently I'm using 1.25" dia. piezo transducers for which I paid the princely sum of $2-ea.

Well that was easier than expected...with pleasing results I might add.

After loosing my strings I fed both through the sound hole and glued them in with hide glue directly below the bridge...nice bright sweet tone. one of the ribs did pose a slight issue though do to it's location.

Incedently I'm using 1.25" dia. piezo transducers for which I paid the princely sum of $2-ea.

So let's hear it! :)

Just as soon as I can Di without overdriving (plus obtain an adapter to allow my guitar cord to plug to my pc), and figure out how to record and send music with high quality and teeny-tiny file size. And more importantly how to get audio from here to there...I'm still struggling with images and text files.

Oh what the heck I might be able to patch my fourtrack with a little cutting and splicing... might take awile but I shall try... wish me luck. (electricity and I have a love hate relationship!)

mp3 and a zip file.
yeah...

now how do you convert analogue to either of these?

and again just as important how... short of an e-mail attachment do I get it from here to there?

Also I'm still overdriving my mic input (on the pc) I want a clean signal I've tried "trimming" the signal through my 4-track still to hot @ below 1 with my rec on the pc also dialed down pretty darn low. It's either hot or not at all. Even the headphone out on my smallest amp is to hot. recomendations? Sounds great through the amp then 4-track then reciever to speakers but I cant seem to get it at my pc's speakers (which are reasonably good but I usualy run my media through my recievers and "real" speakers.)