Science Forums

The sound post

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Figure as long as I keep mentioning dad's band I aught to provide a link (address.....whatever)

goodfornuthin.com

Dad is the fella holding the banjo on the first picture...there are also some good pics of his hammered and lap dulcimers. Please note this link does advertise his bands merchandise. So please don't think I'm trying to talk you into purchasing but I do recomend checking the pics out especially if you're into american folk music/bluegrass and instruments. Besides there's a pretty spiff chalk drawing of the band drawn by my aunty at the bottom of the page!

Sorry no links to clips of their music. (Incedently I tried to just import the pics rather than send you to the site...they (the pics) didn't want to cooperate)

Geeeeeeeeeeeeesh! How long does it take for synthetics to settle in?!?

These strings just keep getting better and better!

I actually caught myself enamoured with the sounds comming from my cello today! It is actually starting to sound like a cello...meaning like those of the various cellists that made me want one of my own (I love P. Casals truly the greatest cellist of the 20th century.) Not to bright...silky...like really good rich dark chocolate.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....choooooooocolaaaaaaaate...

Sooooo happy.

• 2 months later...

It depends on how old your comp is and how it is configured.

I get PLENTY of juice out of my P4 2.4GHz XP 1GB machine. I can run several synths and mic'd tracks at the same time. You don't need to spend a fortune to make music these days. :)

I recommend that you sir, DD, check out Tracktion. It is built to make music and leave the complications aside. :hihi:

Tracktion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact that JUCE is involved should send the coders typing. <grin>

It depends on how old your comp is and how it is configured.

I get PLENTY of juice out of my P4 2.4GHz XP 1GB machine. I can run several synths and mic'd tracks at the same time. You don't need to spend a fortune to make music these days. :(

I recommend that you sir, DD, check out Tracktion. It is built to make music and leave the complications aside. :confused:

Tracktion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact that JUCE is involved should send the coders typing. <grin>

SEE!!!! I've only got 1.6Ghz (not the end of the world really it can work...I've seen it done with lesser processors) BUT I litteraly have the least possible amount of RAM on a pentium...A whole whoppin massive 128MB. I've got more RAM on the video processor than on the board by double!!! A problem which I hope to rectify today...If I can find memory for an almost 10 year old machine at a local retailer.

SEE!!!! I've only got 1.6Ghz (not the end of the world really it can work...I've seen it done with lesser processors) BUT I litteraly have the least possible amount of RAM on a pentium...A whole whoppin massive 128MB. I've got more RAM on the video processor than on the board by double!!! A problem which I hope to rectify today...If I can find memory for an almost 10 year old machine at a local retailer.

Oh, I see...

Yeah, 128MB ain't gonna cut it. I recommend at least 512MB.

So, is your comp a P3?

If so, then you might want to consider shelling out a little dough and building a P4 system (or buying a used one). You should be able to build/buy a decent system for around $150. More expensive than a RAM upgrade, but a much larger jump in performance.

Did you get the RAM already? If it is a P3, I think I have some old memory that could work on the P3 board. You're welcome to have it if you want, I have no use for it. :)

Did so ....sorry about that.

Did you sort out your networking problem? I still haven't added ram yet...haven't had time.

Why no time?...Been too busy relocating the various electronic goodies in my room

(two computers, amps, recievers, scanners, printers monitors, turntables etc.etc.)

What a friggin nightmare!!!

I decided today to enjoy my instruments....good choice....I feel tons better.

Completly dismantled my cello and reset the soundpost tailpiece and bridge...Then enjoyed the nightmare of retuning...I may have said it before but I'll say it again synthetics stretch a he11 of alot more than steel! Verrrry nerve-wracking!!!!

It was all worth it though as it sounds an awfull lot better...did you know that the length of the string behind the bridge is as crucial to the sound of members of the violin family as the string length from bridge to nut...I didn't until a week or so ago...when setting them up you are supposed to tune the "tailings" as well as the played portion of the strings...this is where alot of the harmonics that sweeten the sound live!!! (also where the wolves live...I now can't even force any of em to be heard! There were a couple of reeeeeeally nasty ones in the third and fourth possitions)

Also made a new pad out of snugg fitting tubing for my shubb....funny that thing has a lifetime warranty but you can't get replacement pads (the part that holds the strings) without ordering directly from the factory...Am I the only soul unfortunate enough to have the pad split?

After all of that it was time to play...I killed 6 hours...lots-O-fun!!!

Wrote some new tunes, enjoyed playing some old bluegrass standards, annoyed the he11 out of the kids:hihi:!!! The dog and the kitties seemed to enjoy it though:)as they aparently decided it better to hang out with me all day than do whatever it is that they usually do whilst I putter about on the weekends.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Disturbing trend String prices rocketing upwards...WTF!?...String prices have doubled since last year....friggin bus turds....they were expensive enough already! Prices have hit the point where even the purchase of a cheap set of cello strings is a big financial decision...where you could not long ago have purchased a set of cheapies for as little as 15 USD the new minimum for a set has risen to 30+USD!

What a mess of BS!

I wonder is it the increase in popularity of the 'cello or simply the economic environment to blame?

• 2 years later...

Added a new Bass to the collection...not a fancy one but pretty nice.. Fender Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special...Boy Squier has done wonders in the improvement of the quality of their instruments (have had a few over the years)...very playable, nice sustain, very nice p'ups, nice action, and I gotta say I'm loving the very slender neck...nice and fast...no all she needs are some Roto's, and a Bassman to plug into.

I play classical guitar exclusively.

Best Tone for the Buck would be Yamaha, spruce, C40 variety, it's prbly under $200 and it sounds beautiful and it's easy on the fingers. Of Course, you could go for Jose Ramirez guitar which is top notch as far as sound+playability imo.

I do not play for public so I can not tell you about that electrified-pickups, mics, transducers, amps, eq's, etc, However, since music production is largely digital these days, any plug and play software box will do.

For tone I prefer German Spruce, it's light and rich and vibrant.

bridge- positioning, I've sanded the bridge to lower the strings before, but I am quite happy with th bridge elevation now. I'd do it again if a guitar had a sarious playability problem in high register.

alternate tunings - on a six string I use DGDGHE

Nylons with Silverplated copper wound on nylon for top 3 strings. I get the cheapest set they have in store, since I break strings often, and I like to have new set of strings often.

Right now I'm playing with Let Go by Imogen Heap

My favorite piece is Manuel de Falla, La Vida Breve, Dance #1

Am I the only string musician here?...

Topics of interest to me (and others I hope!) :

Instruments- best tone for the buck, whatcha got, whatcha wish ya got

electrified-pickups, mics, transducers, amps, eq's, etc.

Tone woods- tonal aspects of

the sound post- all things pertaining to

bridge- positioning, Types of bridges

alternate tunings

Gut, synthetic or steel which strings are best for what (or just plain best)

carbon fibre

Bows- types, materials, which bow is best for which style of playing

Rossin- which for which

What are you playing now

favorite pieces etc.

The New Classical - transgenre escapism (Ie. cello metal and other strings escaping their traditional genres)

or any other possible string related topic I might have missed

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you've noticed that these topics will likely have subjective answers based more in opinion than any provable fact. Perfect!!!:rolleyes:

Not all musicians seek the same sound so more opinions help more musicians (hopefully) find what they seek.

One final note though items like replacing ones fallen sound post should be as accurate and safe (for the instrument and the player) as possible.

Im a guitar player returning from a quick visit to a bar.

I had it with me and was discretly jamming with the background music.

The guy on the other side of the table scratched his head and said:

I never saw anyone playing a C Major nine tuning before!

Now I look at my guitar hanging on the wall gently weeping. :(

Just kidding! ;)

Most of the time i use normal tuning,but i sometimes discretely tune down the d to c#. (A Major nine tuning)

But when im ...eh... happy, I randomly change a string once in a bar or so...

I play classical guitar exclusively.

I do not play for public

alternate tunings - on a six string I use DGDGHE

I suppose a classical guitarist wants to keep the melody register in normal tuning, perhaps thats why you resist tuning the high e into d, getting the very common "Sebastopol" tuning...

The second Major tuning in use "Vestapol" also has d on top: dadf#ad. This one is by some professionals changed into dadgad, perhaps for slide reasons...

These big retunings takes time to switch between, one way to make life simpler is to check out the tunings found on the road from your favorite tuning to the next!

Tuning down high e into d# there is a diminished chord on top three strings... i dont use this tuning much except for playing(flageolette or not) a diminished while retuning some other string.

(say low e to d, if S or V is aimed at)

Normally i go the whole step down to high d at once since i plan to go back to normal soon...

The tuning eadghd has most of the sebastopol sound, minor terse on first and second string and major on second and third, making playing a third interval instead of a single note much easier.

The listener thinks i found the high e slightly off key and that I only adjusted it so he gets a little surprised when he hears an explosion af terses and sees two of my fingers closely together exploring/sliding all neck on the top three strings :blink:

How I go back or proceed depends of course on the situation im in.

If I want the C Major nine then it is: gcdebd with 6th 5th and 4th raised.

Dont try it in nylon, there you need to restring!!

For bass purposes i sometimes use a C Major 11 instead...(e goes to f)

Remember to retune the guitar theres extra tension on the neck.

Once I used a now forgotten tuning that made it possible

to play a russian folksong using only what looks as an E Major chord...

A nice and lazy effect I thought :)

The toughest problem I face

is the boredom.

I need musical adventure!

Hi!

I happened to read a book on Harmony Theory by Arnold Schoenberg,

I liked his idea of exploring Tonality, but found his Twelve Tone System too artificial...

What if we only use Major chords moving four steps?

(Squirreling around the Quarter Circle.)

Then we have to change the scale producing melody now and then...

But all composing attempts seem to be variations

of the same piece having no end...

Something extra is needed so I introduced a half step down!

Done sparingly, when there a good reason for it.

We can for example end the circular piece, say: G C B E6/9

(In case you wonder what made me choose the halfstep down: Check the progression /C7 F7/ the terse in C7 = e is lowered a halfstep to the septima in F7, likewise the septima a# in C7 is lowered to the terse a in F7.So the fourth step is related to the halfstep down)

And we can compose pieces that are distinct from each other.

Let us now add the normal tonality but with a low probability!

The quarter step has highest probability, the half step down the next,

Try using the lowest probability in normal tonality the next etc...

Then My New Tonality is Defined!

Making a slightly new sound

that will bore us again if used too much ...

PS Heres the first piece I produced:

4/4 /:B/E/A/D/G/CB:/

The Melody

I first decided making it as simple as possible: two notes to the bar preferably repeated, but i just had to add a few embellishments.(a.= a twice as long)( ":" is a repeat sign) As low as possible:

4/4 /:a bbb a bb. /g#bbb c#cb. /baaa bba. /bbaa bba. /ggga b../ccdc b.. :/

Theres a counter melody, Ill put it in here on request :)