Science Forums

The sound post

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Maybe I'm just jaded having played for so long. But too much of the same ol thing sucks! I need NEW music, stuff that's origional, different, etc. You know the stuff that almost never makes it to the radio but is ooooh sooooo gooooood!

The more I explore the more inspired I become....so much coool stuff I've never heard of......Sooooooooooooo happy! Any other sites you'd recomend? More!.. I want more!!.

MORE!!!!!!:evil:

It looks like a sitar to me, so I imagine it sounds quite similar.
Coincidentally, I laid hands on a veena last weekend. Having 3 drone (unfretted) strings like a sitar’s, it sounds a bit like a sitar, but having 4 strings tuned to the 5th notes of a 12 note scale, like a guitar, though pitch a few notes lower, it sounds a lot like a guitar. It has a banjo-like timber, too
yeah they're just much smaller. ukulele status. never heard one.
No, it’s similar in size to a bass guitar, but pitched a bit higher.

Robert Grafias has this realmedia video of veenas being played

The fellow who’s veena I got to play (who couldn’t seem to play it very well himself) told me it predates the various European and Asian lutes, and is their ancestor, but according to webpages I later read like this wikipedia site, they’re all descended from ancient instruments, and influenced one another in poorly understood and documented ways.

Of course, as with any unusual instrument in the hands of a non-expert, the veena I tried may have been built, strung, or tuned strangely, but seems to me to match descriptions I later read about it. I’d bet BlackAlchemist can tell all ;)

YouTube - Hindustani Khayal on Saraswati Veena http://youtube.com/watch?v=XYt5dr7d8Jk

very beautiful instrument. (click that link!^)

now that I look at images of saraswati (the goddess of musical creativity, and then some) I guess I was wrong. All the veenas look much larger than I thought....

I don't know why I imagined them to be very small....

must have been some weird dream.

well the story of the dragon goes like this...

once upon a time in ancient india, when the gods, made themselves visible,

a dragon roamed the land of bharat.

the dragon somewhat like a typical chinese dragon, breathed out fire, but had one devastating weakness- the sound of the veena.

so to tame it, the gods approached saraswati and asked her to play a divine song on her divine veena

as soon as she plucked the first string, th dragon came rushing to her.

her song melted the dragon and the dragon who wanted to always hear the veena, merged itself to it.

thus we have the traditional saraswati veena.

if you'll notice..

even if a fly sits on the strings of the veena, a note would come

TBA

• 2 weeks later...
Velvet strings for what...a cello?

How much$?

I believe my roomate paid around $300 for his single set of velvet strings.

I'm changing my guitar strings every 2weeks max.

Music is by far my most expensive hobby.

That seems excessive Orb. I suppose it depends on how much you play, but even pro-jazz guitarists I know will keep their strings for about a month. I change mine about once a year, but I don't play it like I used to. :hihi:

p.s. I'm very anal about tone, feel, and sound.

I like my les paul to be well rounded, clear, fat, resonant. I play harder than anyone I've ever known.

Classical guitar strings last longer than six months,

and acoustic has a max life of 1 month for me.

Ey freezy, have you ever adjusted your truss rod?

I used to get my les paul set up every now and then by a pro but I want to be the pro...soo...I did some research and I found that the truss rod is in control of the height of the strings while the intonation is controlled by the bridge.

I learned how to adjust this with harmonics and a chromatic tuner.

I'm a little weary about adjusting the truss rod though. I want my action to be just a bit lower. Anything I should worry about?

Googling guitar maintenence made it sound easy. too easy.

I'm a little weary about adjusting the truss rod though. I want my action to be just a bit lower. Anything I should worry about?

I would definitely be wary about adjusting it. I have only adjusted one before and it was on a peice of crap Hondo that had the strings off the fretboard about an inch. :phones:

It's a scary process as the wood makes creaking and cracking sound that can make you whince. I would recommend leaving the truss rod to a seasoned pro, but if you decide to go ahead with it, make sure you only do a quarter turn max and then let it settle for a while before making the next adjustment. The hardest part for me was looking down the neck and trying to make sure I was not warping it one direction or the other. You might want to check out the guitar forums for this one before preceeding.

ahh see this is what I thought.

There are a bunch of websites I was reading that talk about it like it's nothing.

I will definitely find a pro and talk with him. thanks.

I used to know this guy that used to work for gibson and he'd help me out a lot but I was too young to really grasp what he was doing.

Now I wish I still had the guys number.

Where can I hear some velvet strings in action?

Velvet strings for what...a cello?

How much$?

I'm changing my guitar strings every 2weeks max.

Music is by far my most expensive hobby.

"music sweet music

i wish i could caress

and kissssss"

Ahhhhh...such luxury! I change my gitbox strangs twice a year if I'm lucky!!!!! (I play dailly for at least 15 min. minimum. Just don't have the scratch to change them more often)

Yes for cello, and the cheapest I found were over $300 a set on the low and nearly $500 on the high side!

Gut on the low $120 and the very high $350.

p.s. I'm very anal about tone, feel, and sound.

I like my les paul to be well rounded, clear, fat, resonant. I play harder than anyone I've ever known.

Classical guitar strings last longer than six months,

and acoustic has a max life of 1 month for me.

Ey freezy, have you ever adjusted your truss rod?

I used to get my les paul set up every now and then by a pro but I want to be the pro...soo...I did some research and I found that the truss rod is in control of the height of the strings while the intonation is controlled by the bridge.

I learned how to adjust this with harmonics and a chromatic tuner.

Actually the truss rod is for keeping your neck straight. Unless your neck is bowed or has a hump in it better not to mess with it. If it's bowed slowly (with your strings slightly detuned) tuned turn it clockwise untill it's straight. For a hump turn it counterclockwise slowly until it's straight. For "action" adjustments it's better to file the nut (they're cheap and easily replaced) ,though you may also have to shave a fret or two as well to get it perfect. Both of these are easy to do right with care, common sence, and patience.