Science Forums

The sound post

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

O.k so I've searched and searched again...So far I've mangaged to find nothing... zip... zilch... nada.....Am I the only string musician here?... the only Cellist or fan of the Violoncello? O.k. how about the Violin, Viola, Double Bass, or Viola de Gamba?

I would like (very much) to root out all of you string fanatics that I (and others) might pick your brains and vise-versa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topics of interest to me (and others I hope!) :

Instruments- best tone for the buck, whatcha got, whatcha wish ya got

electrified-pickups, mics, transducers, amps, eq's, etc.

Tone woods- tonal aspects of

the sound post- all things pertaining to

bridge- positioning, Types of bridges

alternate tunings

Gut, synthetic or steel which strings are best for what (or just plain best)

carbon fibre

Bows- types, materials, which bow is best for which style of playing

Rossin- which for which

What are you playing now

favorite pieces etc.

The New Classical - transgenre escapism (Ie. cello metal and other strings escaping their traditional genres)

or any other possible string related topic I might have missed

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you've noticed that these topics will likely have subjective answers based more in opinion than any provable fact. Perfect!!!:rolleyes:

Not all musicians seek the same sound so more opinions help more musicians (hopefully) find what they seek.

One final note though items like replacing ones fallen sound post should be as accurate and safe (for the instrument and the player) as possible.

I don't play a "classically acknowledged string instrument", but I play guitar....it has strings too! :rolleyes:

My roomate plays double bass and plays it quite well. He also teaches middle school orchestra. As I type this, he's off playing a jazz gig somewhere. I can't remember the name of the guy that made the bass, but I'll ask him when he gets back.

He helped me out on this tune linked below, though he's much better than I at playing. He's used to 160BPM Jazz turnouts. I'm more mellow myself.

http://freeztar.com/music/Beleza-master-02.mp3

His buildup is almost impeccable. I didn't touch the volume or compressor for his take, no need...He also plays the plucked bass part, which admittedly needed much tweaking, but only for the bad mic choice/positioning.

As far as strings are concerned, he's been keen on the "Velvets" as of late. He's tried out many, and I happily give my listener input. :evil:

I'm a guitarist (both classical and electric) but I have never managed to catch an interest in all the "hardware" aspects of the instrument. I can name them :evil: but I havenever cared much what sort of wood is in the top or neck, or what brand of pickups I have. I probably should, but I don't care. If my instrument sounds good to me, and is easy to pay, that's what I need. Usually I go by overall brand for the instrument rather than specific parts.

I will admit to a weakness for certain wood types, due mostly to their beauty than the sound quality (beauty over function)...like an ebony fretboard or a red cedar top for a classical guitar.

So I can't offer much helpful insight. But I do own an Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette guitar which is a very good guitar. I once owned an original Yamaha SG2000S which I in my stupidity sold because it was too heavy and gave me back problems (but these days it's a collectors item, of course). :rolleyes:

I am more a gear junkie when it comes to effects and pedals. Lately I have thrown out some effects boxes and gone virtual, using a Boss ME-50 for effects and a Pod XT Live for amp/cabinet models etc. But then again I do most of my guitar playing via my Mac, so the end result is very digital.

My classical guitar is an Alhambra 7P which I've had since my student days and which I'm very happy with.

red cedar top for a classical guitar.

I've never heard of cedar being used....bet it sounds sweet though!

And Yes guitars count too! (Classical guitars are prefered but others just as welcome)

Anyone know what type of bow Jimmie Page used?

Got three of my own. (one acoustic, one gut string classical, one electric)

Though they are technically percusion instruments the occasional piano shall also be welcome.

Oh...

really cool sound...probably sound even cooler bowed...

I can make my strat sound pretty close...figured out how to do it while trying to play the intro to "paint it black" (the rolling stones). It requires at one preamp, 2 stereo(4 mono)

EQ's(wired L/o1>R/i1-R/o1>L/i2-L/o2>R/i2-R/o2-to amp) , a slide, a half decent amp, and a lot of fiddling with settings and tuning.

Oh...

I can make my strat sound pretty close...figured out how to do it while trying to play the intro to "paint it black" (the rolling stones). It requires at one preamp, 2 stereo(4 mono)

EQ's(wired L/o1>R/i1-R/o1>L/i2-L/o2>R/i2-R/o2-to amp) , a slide, a half decent amp, and a lot of fiddling with settings and tuning.

add a hollow body, some very dramatic bends, and pluck near the bridge and you're set.

Oh...

What's the point of the EQ wiring? It seems you're simply sending a mono signal through four EQs, serially. :naughty:

What's the point of the EQ wiring? It seems you're simply sending a mono signal through four EQs, serially.

It allows for more enhancement of some frequencies and better removal of others...Basically it is the same as four mono units (these seem to be getting as rare as hens teeth) in line but I only own two stereo Eq units therefore some creative wiring. (I wish I had a dozen!!! Imagine the tonal manipulation possibilities there!!!)

Oh, ok, it was the wiring that was throwing me off. I get it now.

The thing I love about digital is that I can have an unlimited amount of EQs (or anything else) and a variety as well, for free or at least very cheap. I paid around $45 for the Kjaerhus Golden EQ. It blows the free ones away and comes close to the sound of analog units. It's also very precise and will work in mono mode or stereo (you can EQ the channels separately). I highly recommend it if you ever work in the digital domain.

These days, what little instrument playing I do is mostly acoustic guitar – as my wife puts it, just to accompany my voice.

The last semi-serious music I did, 18+ months ago, was playing mandolin with a oddly morphed bluegrass band consisting of banjo, electric bass guitar, acoustic guitar, and mandolin, covering psychedelic rock (Floyd, etc.) and traditional bluegrass. Called it “spacegrass”.

For a few years, I’ve been attempting to develop enough violin skill to not embarrass myself in public, but am not making much progress. I’m thoroughly addicted to that marvelous enhancement, the fret, and consider anything without them to be just waiting to trouble me with its sustain-less hard-to-play demands. Problem is, I absolute love the way violins, and to a slightly lesser extent, cellos, sound in the hands of someone who can really play them. My son’s a decent cello player, but the knack doesn’t seem to transfer automatically to me.

The coolest bit of musical hardware I’ve seen in recent years is a little gadget called an E-bow. It’s a little electronic vibrator in a smooth plastic case you press against guitar (or, presumably, any other instrument’s) strings, and can produce anything from something like normal bowing to something that sound like a flock of mournful seagulls. Dave Lambert of Strawbs uses one – that’s where I first saw it.

If I can manage to do my own serious music project (rather than my usual approach of joining in someone else’s), It’ll be doing Neil Young’s whole Greendale soundtrack - I’ve a good annual event entered on a croquette tournament, with music lovers from preteen to late 60s, food, and a free bar, and lots of good musicians to work it around.

That, or angst-y Japanese pop/rock from anime credit songs, translated into English.

Oh, back on topic – I’ve got a decent violin, a mid-range student’s model, much easier to play than many of the ragged, nasty ones I’ve been able to lay hands on before. It has a soundpost – a raw-wood-looking little dowel inside it under the bridge and to side a bit. I understand putting it directly under the bridge completely screws up the sound of any violin, and positioning it exactly right is a high art. I leave mine alone – my technical failings go way beyond anything that can be blamed on the instrument.

but am not making much progress. I’m thoroughly addicted to that marvelous enhancement, the fret, and consider anything without them to be just waiting to trouble me with its sustain-less hard-to-play demands.

Having spent the past 25 years playing guitar (and other fretted instruments) I fully Understand...It sure is alot easier when the notes are separated and marked for you. Figuring out where they are hiding can really test ones patience and dedication. (glad to hear that it isn't detering you though) Of course if your a lefty like me and broke like me you know that's only part of the fun...ever seen a lefty cello?!? (or violin for that matter!) I'm pretty sure the only way you can get one is to have one made $$$$$$$$$$!

a raw-wood-looking little dowel inside it under the bridge and to side a bit. I understand putting it directly under the bridge completely screws up the sound of any violin, and positioning it exactly right is a high art. I leave mine alone – my technical failings go way beyond anything that can be blamed on the instrument.

I've had mine out...pretty much that is all it is a dowel with slightly rounded ends to fit the inside contour of the instrument. I get the feeling that the only reason that violin makers haven't departed from it is money and tradition. I wish I had a spare cheapy cello to experiment with. I have several designs of replacements for the post that I would love to try.

As for shortcomings don't forget to blame the strings (dang cheap strings), the bow hair (too slick, to coarse, etc.) the rossin (too sticky, to slick, to what'er), and the weather (too humid, too dry,to hot etc.)!!!!!!

Hey Orbsycli!!!

Thanks again for steering me to Last.fm!!!

I could not believe the amount of Cello music there nor the variety...lots to inspire...good bye boredom!!!

The toughest problem I face (even harder than picking up a different instrument) is the boredom with cookie cutter/mainstream music. Yeah rock is great, yeah classical is great, yeah blues is great woo... hoo...yay.:girlneener:

Don't get me wrong I still have my faves I'm just tired of the same ol same ol.

I need musical adventure!!

Maybe I'm just jaded having played for so long. But too much of the same ol thing sucks! I need NEW music, stuff that's origional, different, etc.:rolleyes: You know the stuff that almost never makes it to the radio but is ooooh sooooo gooooood!

Found me sum there... ended up joining. thanx!!:painting: