Science Forums

Do you remember...?

Boerseun

We you knew what the hell was going on during the tv commercials.. some are so damn cryptic I dont know how they think its helping sell the product!

Yeah - there was a time when they said "Buy Pepsi - Pepsi tastes nice." Nowadays, they come with all these elaborately humourous (supposedly) commercials, some of them so crazy that you only remember the joke, not the product. So when you speak to your friends you'll say "did you see the commercial where that guy did that thing when the other guy tripped and fell?" instead of "Jeez - this new Coke ad cracked me up!"

Advertising. An industry run by fools, for fools. Trust me. I'm in it myself.

Nowadays, they come with all these elaborately humourous (supposedly) commercials, some of them so crazy that you only remember the joke, not the product.

Said in my presence by an actual, high-powered ad agency exec (who's still a big-wig):

"Ads are to win ad awards, not to sell more products."

Its not a car, its a Volkswagen, :cheer:

Buffy

And our posting about these commercials here, talking about them over the watercooler, at the pub with our mates, implies that these ads are *NOT* working?

Resensitizing the desensitized requires off the wall tactics. If you spend the entire commercial using your energy to figure it out, it primes your mind to better remember the product that fills the gap you've mentally defined. It's like hunting, following a scent, but you're not sure what you're after... trying to put the pieces of the puzzle togther. Then finally,

You get the picture, and it holds greater perceptual weight.

And they said a degree in Psych was a bad idea. :cheer:

Here is one that has all but disappeared but still remains a huge part of your life.

Back in the day (early 60’s) I worked at IBM on the development of the early disk drives. One of the critical components was called a VFO for Variable Frequency Oscillator. For you circuit nuts it was a phase locked loop that could recover the clock and data from the disk drive.

At any rate the VFO that I worked on was huge (larger than your computer) and we finally got it working. Then in began to shrink. Various people and companies found ways to make it smaller, faster, and cheaper, etc until it now fits in a small corner of one of the very small chips in your hard drive. My guess is that it’s about the size of the head of pin now and still shrinking.

It starting out costing many thousands of dollars, now many thousands per penny.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember gas ovens where you had to hold a lit match to a small hole while turning the gas on. The gas knob was usually on the exterior front or top of the oven and the hole was inside the oven itself, on the bottom -- so a bit of physical flexibility was required.

I also remember the day when the oven when "fwaa--POOM!!!" and my mother lost her eyebrows and eyelashes.

:phones: Pyro

Did you see this commercial "Headon" I think number one on the most annoying list. :phones:

Have you noticed that the "Headon" commercials, and indeed, the product packaging, never says anything about PAIN. Look carefully. This is the maximum evolution of advertising--the ad makes no promise whatsoever.

Have you noticed that the "Headon" commercials, and indeed, the product packaging, never says anything about PAIN. Look carefully. This is the maximum evolution of advertising--the ad makes no promise whatsoever.

this one reason (it's on the most annoying list) I don't like it they are trying to sale me something that has no merit, go figure?

I remember gas ovens where you had to hold a lit match to a small hole while turning the gas on. The gas knob was usually on the exterior front or top of the oven and the hole was inside the oven itself, on the bottom -- so a bit of physical flexibility was required.

My last house still had one of those ovens.

I remember my nanna had a kettle that wasn't electric and had to be heated on the stove. And she wore an apron all the time in the kitchen.

My last house still had one of those ovens.

I remember my nanna had a kettle that wasn't electric and had to be heated on the stove. And she wore an apron all the time in the kitchen.

Ya that the same kind we had,

maybe 6" in high the lid locked on,

and it had solid stainless steel wheel that would Riddle

(the steam pressure relief valve) when it heated up on the (gas) stove.

apron mine too.

• 1 month later...