Science Forums

P.e.t.a.

Racoon

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is a case of taking a noble cause and turned it into a bunch of publicity idiots.

I think the group is stark raving mad.

Consider their comments recently about the NBA going back to their original leather ball , (as opposed to the micro fiber) and called out players including Shaq and LeBron James.

Chicago Tribune news | Registration

When Sigfried, of Sigfried and Roy, got his head nearly bitten off by a white tiger during a performance, PETA came out and said that he deserved it.

Not to mention making an *** of themselves with their opinions on Steve Erwin.

These guys are wrong. Right cause, wrong way to go about helping it. :)

Kind of like the ACLU

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA): The animal rights organization

examples of PETA idiocy:

Taking on PETA over new ad campaign - Tucker - MSNBC.com

PETA Kills Animals | PetaKillsAnimals.com

Actual quotes from average PETA members

and some of their better quotes:

"I think it would be great if all of the fast-food outlets, slaughterhouses, these laboratories and the banks that fund them exploded tomorrow.” -PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich

PeTA co-founder Ingrid Newkirk once said even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, "we'd be against it."

"Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause." -Alex Pacheco, Director, PeTA

"We feel that animals have the same rights as retarded children." -Alex Pacheco, Director, PeTA,

"To those people who say, `My father is alive because of animal experimentation,' I say `Yeah, well, good for you. This dog died so your father could live.' Sorry, but I am just not behind that kind of trade off." -Bill Maher, PeTA celebrity spokesman

"Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughter houses." -Ingrid Newkirk, President, PeTA,

"The life of an ant and that of my child should be granted equal consideration." -Michael W. Fox, Vice President, The Human Society

Regan when asked which he would save, a dog or a baby, if a boat capsized in the ocean: "If it were a retarded baby and a bright dog, I'd save the dog." -Tom Regan

Does anyone else have similar feeling about PETA, or experiences involving the animal rights group?

I'm all for ethical treatment of animals, but I definitely value human life over animal life, and animal life over plant life, and plant life over bacterial life, and life over non-life...I think we should set up our own parody - PATSOB - people against the slaughter of bacteria - everyday I see advertisements for products which kill millions upon millions of these living creatures. When are we going to realize, if it comes down to one of us or millions of them - they have the numbers - all life is equal.

I'm with you 100% Racoon.

PETA is a great example of an initial concept gone totally out of control. Yet another example of extremism being bad for society in general, and the cause they say they support in specific.

Luckily they aren't strapping bombs to themselves and blowing up markets (yet).

There are extremists everywhere. I refuse however to abridge anyone's constitutionally guaranteed right to make an idiot of themselves in public. :hyper:

I actually support their slaughter cuz I think they're yummy, but a friend of mine who prefers meat has suggested People for the Ethical Treatment Of Vegetables (PETOV)... :)

I tried to kick the ball, but my tennie flew right off, :)

Buffy

"When they see us coming, the birdies all try an' hide,

But they still go for peanuts when coated with cyanide."

Let's see if anyone can beat Buffy to it:)

His most famous song? You're kidding me! I'll leave that one to everyone as an exercise, but this is *quite* on topic! Do you prefer the studio or live version?

Demonstrate to them our skill, :rant:

Buffy

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is a case of taking a noble cause and turned it into a bunch of publicity idiots.

I think the group is stark raving mad.

Yup.The group can be hypocritical,too.Government records from the Virginia State Veterinarian show that in 2005, PETA killed 90 percent of the animals it took in for adoption. I think the Animal Humane Society (despised by PETA) does better.

In my opinion,the inimitable Dr.Temple Grandin, Professor of Animal Science at Colorado State University has done more for the welfare of animals than PETA can ever hope to do. In North America, almost half of the cattle are handled in a center track restrainer system that she designed for meat plants. Curved chute and race systems she has designed for cattle are used worldwide and her writings on the flight zone and other principles of grazing animal behavior have helped many people to reduce stress on animals during handling.She is also autistic.

If you have never heard of Temple Grandin, I recommend the book "Emergence: Labeled Autistic", a fascinating read. Here is her website:Temple Grandin's Web Page

Live:)

My favorite song of his is actually the elements:)

Unfortunately, ITunes doesn't have either, although they have a remake of some of his hits. Sung by other people, although they did a good job keeping true to the originals.

OK, back on topic.

Extremists seem to carry a lot of power. Is it because people flock to 'high rating news' and therefore we see so much of their antics in the news?

• 4 months later...
There are extremists everywhere. I refuse however to abridge anyone's constitutionally guaranteed right to make an idiot of themselves in public. :juggle:

Buffy

LOL

I always try to do it in a loud, authoritative voice -you get more points.

(Lost a lot of trivia nights that way:( )

There was a show on TV a little while ago or did I read it(?) about a wonderful autistic (?) compulsive(?) woman in the States who has designed humane killing lines for cattle.

They are actually given a "cuddle" before they get the chop.;)

They are kept away from the smell of any slaughtered animals.

The processing system she has designed is beautiful.

She was interviewed by my favorite psychiatrist, Marcus (?) Sacks

IF I had a vote I would have given her the Nobel Prize for something

I know if I had to kill my own animals I would be a vegetarian.

I love vegetarian food but have never really learnt to cook it well.

In the past I never had the time to fiddle, cut, slice, blend etc

In the 70's ideologically motivated vegetarians put everything in a pot and boiled merde (Fr.) out of it.

It was abominable.

Made you want to go out and shoot the next cow you saw.

(Has anyone heard the great C&W (?) song "Cows with Guns"? If not , do we have sound on hypography?)

There used to be a great Vegetarian Chinese Restaurant in Bondi Sydney.

It was fantastic, so inventive & delicious.

I would be happy to be a vegetarian if someone else would cook for me.

We really need rats etc to test for drugs, chemicals, organ swapping etc and even those that say "has not been tested on animals" are really lying because at sometime all cosmetic ingredients have to be tested. THEY- the particular company-may have not tested it on animals but someone else has at some point in time.

This "claim" annoys me.

It is such a con.

All testing is reviewed these days by ethics committees and animals have to be treated well

I try hard to be a Buddhist; but still kill snails, caterpillars and cockroaches.

The Possum is on the list if he eats any more of my parsley.!;)

The other night my VERY clever cat;) bought me a dead mouse.

I accepted the gift gracefully; but the ***** is still beating up my very old, gentle, neutered, woossy Tom because she KNOWS he made off with it.:)

Typical woman.

Last week I found a sick rat out the front of my house.

I couldn't kill it.

I thought "How much knowledge and help have you given the human race?" (drug, chemical and Psy. testing) and left it alone.

It made me sad.:(

The fanatics really don't help animal rights issues in the end.:(

Last week I found a sick rat out the front of my house.

I couldn't kill it.

I thought "How much knowledge and help have you given the human race?" (drug, chemical and Psy. testing) and left it alone.

It made me sad.;)

The fanatics really don't help animal rights issues in the end.:juggle:

You do realize, that with an attitude like that, you're a fanatic too, don't you? ;)

The cow lady is named Temple Grandin. I remember her too. :)

BBC - Horizon - The woman who thinks like a cow

Although the squeeze machine seems a very strange idea, it is in fact based on sound scientific theory. We know that light pressure touch, say stroking of the skin, excites the sympathetic nervous system, which raises heart rate and raises respiration, whereas deep pressure touch actually lowers heart rate and lowers respiration. And what the squeeze machine is doing, is producing controlled deep pressure touch, which then has a significant relaxing effect.

You do realize, that with an attitude like that, you're a fanatic too, don't you? ;)

The cow lady is named Temple Grandin. I remember her too. :beer:

BBC - Horizon - The woman who thinks like a cow

Thanks for the link

What Nobel prize would you give her?

I am not a fanatic; just a woose.

I do object to false advertising such as "Not tested on Animals" which is such a crock of merde (Fr.).

How come you are up at 2.00 PM in Oz?

It's 11:00PM in Austin. Just finished my last query, wrote three new business cases, and finalized the summary our survey results... sent the data to the commications group for distribution and our dev team for implementation. Good times.

Nobel Prize for being a real human being who shares ideas and does not hoard them. For facing challenges and making the world better through gut instinct. Nobel Prize for inspiring relatively thoughtful peons like you and me.

;) :beer: :goodbad: