Science Forums

Killing Whales, Why?

Cedars

The latest news.

the New zealand airforce is getting into the act!

I don't know if the footage is on the web?

NZ releases whale slaughter footage

The New Zealand Government has released footage showing a Japanese fleet slaughtering whales in the Southern Ocean.

The footage is less than 48 hours old and comes from a New Zealand Air Force surveillance plane that has been policing illegal fishing and whaling.

NZ releases whale slaughter footage. 26/01/2007. ABC News Online

The Greenpeace ship Esperanza left the New Zealand port of Auckland as the New Zealand government released air force footage showing two Japanese vessels harpooning whales and hauling the carcasses aboard for processing.

New Zealand Conservation Minister Chris Carter said he'd taken the "very unusual" step of releasing the film, taken as part of normal air force flights that police fishing.

People could watch it and make up their own minds about Japanese whaling, Carter said.

"Is it science or is it butchery?" he said.

Activists to frustrate Japanese whalers - Breaking News - World - Breaking News

I don't know if the footage is on the web?

You can click the "View Video" link right under the bolded intro at the start of the following article:

Japanese whaling footage released - New Zealand, world, sport, business & entertainment news on Stuff.co.nz

EDIT: Just finished watching the whole thing. It's limited to 3 or 4 freeze frames at the end... Nothing too morbid, but the context of this issue certainly proves morbid enough. The video above is more a discussion about the release of the footage.

Here it is (Warning):

http://www.tv3.co.nz/portals/0/images/site/tvCoverage.gif

TV3 > News > News Display

Have just joined and read through this thread, with some

great links there.

It is sad that the first fin whale (endangered ) caught by the

Icelandic whalers has largely ended up as landfill..see here

(can I post a link yet??)

apparently not....

Chrissy

Don't fret Chrissy, Post a few quirky science or history facts. (I would love to see your link -you can send private emails)

Moderators here are paranoid about spammers.

This is a new and novel way of tackling the Whale problem

It deserves serious consideration

I imagine the enormous resources of Playboy and Penthouse could help here; for the first time becoming involved in environmental issues (pardon the pun)

In Order To Save The Whales, We Must Breed With Them

By Allen Spivey

January 31, 2007 | Issue 43•05

What is happening to the earth's whales?

The humpback, once more than 1.5 million strong, now numbers fewer than 20,000. The minke whale, once free to swim the ocean's depths in all its smooth, streamlined glory, has seen its population decimated by commercial fishing in a generation.

Since regulation and political pressure have failed to produce results, we have only one option left if there's any hope of saving the future of these massive, supple creatures: We must start breeding with them right away, and not stop until they're saved.

I am not naïve.

I know this will be a long, sometimes painful, task.

But it is a task we must undertake, no matter the complications inherent in extended periods of underwater copulation.

In Order To Save The Whales, We Must Breed With Them | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

I have a hard time understanding why such magnificent creatures are killed even when other food and chemical sources have replaced or surpassed what can be gotten from them. It's not an issue of food or heritage for the majority of the world's population.

I wonder if there can ever be any coexistence whatsoever between man and nature. The worst alternatives come first, the best last. (See terra preta and CO2 sequestration threads.)

Have just joined and read through this thread, with some

great links there.

It is sad that the first fin whale (endangered ) caught by the

Icelandic whalers has largely ended up as landfill..see here

(can I post a link yet??)

apparently not....

Chrissy

Do you want me to post it for you?

I hope you do

Moderators are getting tough I couldn't even reply to your private message.

Your link:-

GREENPEACE - News

If you know any jokes you can get your post up at "Quality Jokes and Humour" sic

Humankind is a part of nature, so the distinction is not necessary. However, taking the point purely on it's intent, we're much more likely to have a co-extinction with nature, or several of them, unless... [math]\Delta[/math]

That's true. I was gripped by such a feeling of sadness at the moment, enough to "forget" that we are a part of nature, and we still live in it even if we have transformed it. We share a collective heritage with other living things in this world, from lowly bacteria to magnificent whales.

I keep asking myself, why? Why do we do the things we do, even if they damn us and everything else in the end? We should know, and do, better.

Thanks very much for posting that link for me..

makes the whole butchery even more disgusting:(

Just as a point of order, wether the slaughter of whales is disgusting or not, doesn't matter. If you think slaughtering whales is bad, I invite you to go to any commercial cattle slaughterhouse in your vicinity. Seeing the cattle go ballistic when they happen to smell blood, is not a pretty sight. Yet we pack away on McDonalds without sparing the cattle a thought. I think the argument of whale-slaughter being disgusting is simply an emotional ruse, and not appliccable. Unless we want to be consistent, and condemn cattle slaughter as well.

Just as a point of order, wether the slaughter of whales is disgusting or not, doesn't matter. If you think slaughtering whales is bad, I invite you to go to any commercial cattle slaughterhouse in your vicinity. Seeing the cattle go ballistic when they happen to smell blood, is not a pretty sight. Yet we pack away on McDonalds without sparing the cattle a thought. I think the argument of whale-slaughter being disgusting is simply an emotional ruse, and not appliccable. Unless we want to be consistent, and condemn cattle slaughter as well.

I agree with Boerseun (although he's probably just playing devil's advocate). I find it all equally disgusting. Being vegetarian was an easy choice for me. :)

Being vegetarian was an easy choice for me. :)
Me too. I love hearing that celery scream when I tear into its heart with my big serrated knife, or the convusions of agony in the brussel sprouts as they are mercilessly dumped into that superheated steamer! :Guns:

Death to veggies,

Buffy

• 2 weeks later...

Major backlash if whaler spills, N.Z. prime minister says | The Japan Times Online

Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2007

Major backlash if whaler spills, N.Z. prime minister says

SYDNEY (Kyodo) Japan will face an international backlash if the Nisshin Maru, Japan's whale-processing ship that has been damaged by fire, causes an environmental disaster in the Antarctic, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark said Monday.

Chinese giant salamanders have been found in Japan on several occasions, raising fears they may threaten the endangered native species

Chinese giant salamanders like the one shown at top have been found in Japan on several occasions, raising fears they may threaten the endangered native species seen below. PHOTOS COURTESY OF MASAFUMI MATSUI / KYODO

The Nisshin Maru has been stranded without power since the fire last Thursday. The fire claimed the life of crew member Kazutaka Makita, 27, and forced more than 100 others to evacuate to other vessels in the six-vessel whaling fleet.

The Esperanza of Greenpeace, a former salvage vessel, reached the 8,030-ton Nisshin Maru on Saturday morning and is offering to tow the whaler out of the Antarctic Ocean.

The Japanese fleet has asked Greenpeace to stand by, after vowing last week to refuse help from any environmental activists.

Clark called on the Japanese fleet to sort the situation out.

"My advice is if you can't see a way of getting the boat out of there without some help from Greenpeace or from somebody else, the world is going to be very upset if there is a spill in that area," she said. "At the moment, the Japanese are saying, 'We can cope.' They'd better be right."

The Nisshin Maru is carrying more than 1,000 tons of oil and is drifting about 175 km from Antarctica's large penguin breeding grounds.

Sorry have been out and about.. fact that I cant post links etc until I've made some silly posts elsewhere is not my kind of thing:) Do have a couple of funnys I might try tho".

This whole Nisshin Maru situation is awful. The factory ship disabled.. yes!!!-

Japanese trying to get it in working order to "whale again"...yeuk and yeuk!

Possibilities of a ship if not leaking oil leaking dirty water mixed with whale blood and guts and so close to an Adelie Pengiun breeding ground. Oh yes and no thanks Esperanza we're just going to misrepresent what happened in 1998..ouf!

There are treaties for the Antartica and even UN resolutions.. where are the

law enforcers now???

Chrissy