Science Forums

Killing Whales, Why?

Cedars

Q-Why the Pacific Island Countries are important to Japan?

A- Because they have fish, fishing rights and votes on the IWC.

Why the Pacific Island Countries are important to Japan?

# Marine resources: The Pacific Island Countries have extremely huge exclusive economic zones despite the smallness of their national land mass and they are one of the leading production areas for tuna, bonito, and other marine resources. Many Japanese fishing vessels are operating in the area as well. In Kiribati there is a fisheries training school operated with assistance from the Japan Federation of Bonito and Tuna Fishing Cooperatives; graduates work on board of Japanese fishing vessels.

# Timber products: Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, and New Zealand account for about 20% of Japan's import volume of logs.

MOFA: Why the Pacific Island Countries are important to Japan? - Relations between Japan and the Pacific Island Countries, and Japan's cooperation -

:thumbs_up

:juggle: :wave2:

Getting evidence of Japan's duplicity.

# Australia's Navy to shadow Japanese whalers - why? And will it do any good? (audio), John Barron talks to Associate Professor Peter Harrison from Southern Cross University's Whale Centre, and then Steve Chase catches up with Professor Rikki Kersten from ANU (International Relations, Japan-Australia, Whaling, Law of the Sea)

http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/audio/mp3/20071214-whale.mp3

PS (much later-bear of little brain)

I have been thinking about an interesting point mentioned in this excellent radio interview.

Is the whole Japanese whaling thing just a smoke screen for their poaching of Tuna, overfishing, and dolphin killing?

As the Prof. said on the interview, the Japanese have thousands of tonnes of whale meat in freezers that they can't give away. So what is the point?- national pride? or just very clever manipulation of the media?

A magicians trick "Watch this hand while. . ."

What do you think?

Prime Minister Rudd will decide next week if he is to monitor Japanese Whaling near Antarctica and the Australian Whale Sanctuary there.

Australian Whale Sanctuary

How does the IWC guard it's Sanctuaries?

Whale sanctuaries

Most whales don't go up the west coast of Australia.(IWC 'protected')

Most migrate and give birth in the east coast (one gave birth in Sydney Harbour once).

My worry is that Australians have made whales less fearful of humans and their boats to the benefit of the Japanese Hunters. Whale Watching is starting to become a major Tourism business.

PM Rudd will probably wants to wait for a Court decision, due soon, on whether Antarctic waters are Australia's Territorial Waters or not.

My guess is that he will wimp out.

There is a growing feeling here that the Japanese never intended to kill humpbacks and perhaps the whole exercise was a political sham.

Perhaps even the whole whaling thing seing all the meat is still in cold store from last year.

What is the USA doing politically about this?

They seem to have a lot of influence in Japan

I just received this email saying at least Californian whales were safe. Its self satisfied tone somehow annoyed me.

If you would prefer not to receive action alerts and updates, you can click here to remove yourself from this list: You have been removed

(or you can reply to this email with the word "remove" in the subject line.)

To update your email or mailing address, or to view all your subscriptions, click here:

NRDC Action Fund Log in Page

The NRDC Action Fund is the 501©(4) affiliate of the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC).

If Japan is a democracy, why has there never been achange of government since WW2?

I just received this email saying at least Californian whales were safe. Its self satisfied tone somehow annoyed me.

The email quote is the tail end of the email, describing how to unsubscribe from the NRDC mailing list, etc...

If Japan is a democracy, why has there never been achange of government since WW2?

I'm not familiar with post WW2 Japanese history. Can you provide some links affirming an unchanging Japanese government? And more importantly, how does it influence whale hunting?

:cup:

Last Updated: Thursday, 27 December 2007, 18:22 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Diary: Jonah and the whale-chasers

Jonah Fisher onboard the Esperanza

The BBC's Jonah Fisher is on a Greenpeace ship tracking the Japanese whaling fleet in the Southern Ocean. You can follow his travels for the next two months on the Ten O'clock News, and in this diary.

THURSDAY 27 DECEMBER: LESS SPEED, MORE WAVES

With Japan's whalers already likely to be starting work in

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Diary: Jonah and the whale-chasers

:eek_big:

• 2 weeks later...

Some bun fight going on here (!)

Reader's Comments: Aussies racist - Japan's whalers | News.com.au

My contribution was:- (ignored)

Minkie wale hunting may be sustainable. But why lie about it?

Convince the IWC and go hunt them.

Both Australia and Japan are the only countries I know with a "Baby Bonus"

I think this is racist, when there are so many refugees looking fort a home.

So to is the Australian Citizenship Test (in English ).

How many post war Greeks and Italians would have passed such a test?

How much poorer would Australia be without them?

Still, overall, I think Japan is calling the kettle black.

How many dolphins will Japan kill this year?

How much illegal tuna will they buy?

The seas have reached crisis point. We can no longer HUNT we must FARM fish

Well, I briefly perused through the comments in the link you provided and can easily say that it was a waste of time. :)

When ignorance is rampant, knowledge is scarce.

I do agree with you, M, that we should seek sustainable solutions which obviously would have to include a good working definition in answer to the question, "what is sustainable whaling?". I'm quite sure that no one knows at this point in time, even for a single species.

Michaelangelica

You take them to the international court first.

Sorry about this little side tracking... but I thought you might like to see that

Japan is not just smuggling Whales.

China wants Japan beef smuggling to end

In rare move' date=' Beijing officially asks Tokyo to prevent flow from the source

NARITA, Chiba Pref. (Kyodo) The Chinese government has asked Japan to take appropriate steps to prevent travelers from smuggling Japanese beef into China, according to sources.

In an extremely rare move, Beijing in December filed the request over the food smuggling issue with Tokyo, they said.

China banned the import of Japanese beef in September 2001 when Japan found its first suspected case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease, which is thought to cause the fatal human variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

The Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry notified its Animal Quarantine Service offices across the country late last month to alert airlines and related entities, the sources said.

As China's economic boom continues ahead of this year's Beijing Olympics, the country's new rich are increasingly consuming Japanese delicacies, mainly to enjoy the health benefits of Japanese food.

Regardless of the mad cow issue, Japan-raised "wagyu" beef is very popular in China for its taste and fetches high prices across the country, the sources said. [/quote']

China wants Japan beef smuggling to end | The Japan Times Online

A petition after a million signatures .

Whales Revenge: help us end whaling and stop the slaughter - by Patrick Bonello...

They are 3/4s of the way there.(!)

While I applaud those trying to help cetaceans, I find the appeal to zero-whaling unrealistic. A sustainable approach to whaling is much more realistic than zero-whaling imo.

Certain tribes around the globe have been whaling for decades, long before whale populations experienced anthropogenic declines. These people should not be deprived of their cultural heritage (within reason of course). Whaling for sport, for limited practical use, and killing in massive amounts should be discouraged imho. Given that whale populations have declined so much, there should be heavy restrictions for commercial enterprises.

I can't lie, I'd like to see zero-whaling, but if it's going to happen it's going to be a very slow process. Of course, if whales reach a certain critical population density, then the rules change completely, at least in my playbook. ;) :)

While I applaud those trying to help cetaceans, I find the appeal to zero-whaling unrealistic. A sustainable approach to whaling is much more realistic than zero-whaling imo.

It may be that minkies might be able to be sustainably harvested at some short time in the future.

However that is not the point The Japanese are using the lie, the ruse, of 'scientific whaling' to get around IWC rules and so hunt in declared whale sanctuaries. They may even be hunting in Aust. territorial waters.

If whale harvesting is sustainable let them convince the IWC and the world community, & not be devious about it.

My feeling is that the oceans are stuffed; totally beyond the point of no return. Hunting/fishing will no longer be sustainable anywhere and we will have to farm fish in the future. If we can find somewhere (like Tasmania?) where the Yanks haven't dumped their rubbish.

(See "So long and thanks for all the fish" thread).