Science Forums

Killing Whales, Why?

Cedars

I think the "guardedly optimistic "is v. important. It's a very thin line and no one should stop rooting for the whales and dolphins( some of whom are also critically endangered).

I have been rather tied up in personal matters after the death of my Dad earlier this year so whilst not posting so much have not lost touch. The IWC this year was more than worrying especially with Bush lackeys allowing policies to pass which are potential death knells for some species. With all due respect to Americans in this forum an administration that at least shows some care for animals and the enviroment plus a basic grasp of nations

interactions and concerns would be welcomed.......

Chrissy &

......by us !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Whales resume annual hunt of Japanese

TOKYO. Whales in the Sea of Japan have resumed their annual hunt for Japanese swimmers. Every year a quota of 500 Japanese are caught and killed by whales, whose supporters say the hunt provides invaluable data for ongoing scientific research.

The wholesale slaughter of Japanese holidaymakers has outraged Tokyo human rights groups, who say that appeals to scientific research are unfounded, and that most Japanese caught by the whales end up ground into fine powder and mixed with tiger testicles, and resold to Japanese men as aphrodisiacs.

However a pro-whale lobby has denied the allegations, saying that the continuing harvest of Japanese swimmers has contributed to "untold scientific bounty".

Speaking to the media on a yacht in the Bay of Kawanishi, as the plaintive cries of seagulls mingled with the screams of a primary school field trip being capsized and chewed up by a pod of sperm whales, pro-whale spokesman Naru Yashimoto said that the sceptics had a "narrow view of science".

"People ask us, 'Surely, if you’re allowing whales to butcher swimmers for science, you only need seven or eight swimmers? After all, if you're still doing the same experiments on the same cadavers after ten or fifteen years, either you're using extremely poor specimens, or you're employing some severely retarded scientists.'

"But they’re totally wrong," said Yashimoto, hitting the knuckles of a 10-year-old schoolgirl who was trying to cling onto the rudder of the yacht. "We need our full 500-swimmer quota every year, so that we can confirm results of long-term experiments."

Asked what these were, Yashimoto said that they included "questions such as whether or not people can survive being digested, whether whales crap in sea, and whether that scene in Jaws where the chick gets dragged back and forth in the water was physically possible."

Hayibo.com - Home

Absolutely great Boerseun, funny as hell and witty too. I love it. I have a friend who lives in japan, he say whale meat is very popular in the upscale crowd. Even though the eating of whale meat is close to the same as eating toxic waste they continue to consume the stuff. He says it often actually has a metallic taste due to the heavy metals in it. He says they should be allowed to eat all they want, in a few years they all be dead or totally insane. I know that some whales are so bad the corpses need to be buried in a toxic waste site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beluga_(whale)

Because the Beluga congregates in river estuaries, human-caused pollution is proving to be a significant danger to its health. Incidents of cancer have been reported to be rising as a result of the St. Lawrence River pollution. The bodies of the Beluga inhabiting this area contain so many contaminants that their carcasses are treated as toxic waste.[citation needed] Reproductive pathology has been discovered in the population here and many suspect organochlorines to be responsible. Levels between 240 ppm and 800 ppm of PCBs have been found, with males typically having higher levels.[16] It is not known what the long-term effects of this pollution will be on the affected populations.

While this is an extreme example most whales are indeed dangerous to eat with any regularity. To me the killing of an endangered animals for any reason other than actual survival is wrong. The fact that whales are at least semi intelligent makes it even more outrageous. Eating something that is for all practical purposes poisonous just shows how crazy humans really are.

This is not an argument against whale meat. A lot of foods today contain poison. Pesticides in agricultural products mean that you shouldn't really eat non-organically grown fruits and vegetables, either. You can buy commercial whale meat in stores and to my knowledge nobody has ever claimed that it is dangerous to eat.

Marla C. Guevarra

[email protected]

Las Pinas City, Philippines

This is not an argument against whale meat. A lot of foods today contain poison. Pesticides in agricultural products mean that you shouldn't really eat non-organically grown fruits and vegetables, either. You can buy commercial whale meat in stores and to my knowledge nobody has ever claimed that it is dangerous to eat.

Marla C. Guevarra

[email protected]

That depends on your definition of dangerous. It also depends on whether it is being tested for chemicals:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...591789427.html

Interesting article I found that indicates FDA isnt doing a very good job protecting US consumers from contaminated catches when it involves US fishermen.

http://www.al.com/specialreport/mobi...sf?merc29.html

*link found when researching shark/sailfish in Minnesota; those results touched on at bottom of article

some tested animals exceeded this (and would require disposal of the animal rather than consumption) combined with the issue of whether these animals (whales in general) are beyond population disaster and as I understand it, there is no reliable way for a whaling ship to cull whales by leaving the females to reproduce, leaves me with the opinion that continued whaling is a hinderance to the goal of a sustainable whale population.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...hale-meat.html

Marla C. Guevarra

[email protected]

Well if my link showing that some whales corpses are so polluted they are considered toxic waste doesn't give you food for thought try these.

Mercury contamination of whale and ... - Thorn Tree travel forum - Lonely Planet

ECO-online. The daily newsletter of whale conservation NGOs during the 52nd IWC

WWF reports that whale meat and blubber sampled in Norway recently were found to contain heavy metals, PCBs and pesticides.

The toxic whale meat crisis now faces Norwegian consumers as well as Japanese. Will the Norwegian government, like Japan, shirk its responsibility to protect its citizens? Will Norway put the financial health of a handful of whalers (who already make a fine living fishing most of the year) ahead of people who are consuming contaminants that cause cancer, sterility and other woes?

Twenty samples of whale meat and blubber collected in Norwegian markets in recent weeks were analyzed by scientists hired by WWF. Preliminary results show that more than 50 PCB congeners were identified, some of which are dioxin-like PCB's. Also, 25 metals were identified in whale blubber samples, including organic mercury. In addition, several organochlorine pesticides were detected, including aldrin, dieldrin, heptachlor, and DDE and DDD (which are breakdown products of DDT).

Toxic Dolphin Meat Warning Used in Campaign Against Hunts

EIA

Faroe islanders told to stop eating 'toxic' whales - environment - 28 November 2008 - New Scientist

Whale meat deemed unsafe for pregnant women | Article from China Daily | HighBeam Research

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Zoning the Ocean May Help Endangered Whales to Recover

ScienceDaily (Dec. 17, 2009) — Scientists in Scotland, Canada and the US have proposed a new method to identify priority areas for whale conservation. The team's findings, published in Animal Conservation, suggest that even small protected areas, identified through feeding behaviour, can benefit highly mobile marine predators such as killer whales.

. . .

"Protecting even small patches of water can provide conservation benefits, as long as we choose the spots wisely," said Ashe. "We followed individually recognisable whales for hours on end and mapped where they were engaged in resting, feeding and social activities."

. . .

For some species, critical habitat is immediately apparent from casual observation. Killer whales strand on special beaches in Patagonia (Argentina) to capture seals. A few key lagoons provide obviously important breeding habitat for grey whales in Baja, Mexico. In most cases, identifying critical habitat for whales, dolphins and porpoise is complex, and requires statistical analysis.

Zoning the ocean may help endangered whales to recover

• 6 months later...
Whales resume annual hunt of Japanese...

...Asked what these were, Yashimoto said that they included "questions such as whether or not people can survive being digested, whether whales crap in sea, and whether that scene in Jaws where the chick gets dragged back and forth in the water was physically possible."

Hayibo.com - Home

That post was hilarious, Boerseun.

I read something today that reminded me of it. This is one of the 'research papers' that the whalers submitted:

http://www.icrwhale.org/eng/2008Ishikawa.pdf

They are killing whales in order to study the most effective way to kill whales. What is the quickest, most effective, and most lethal whale harpooning method? We better go kill some whales to find out! :(

~modest

• 1 month later...