Science Forums

Political Correctness

Racoon

Lets give some examples and information then!!

some links.

read this

http://www.users.bigpond.com/smartboard/pc.htm

Good examples here :(

http://www.languagemonitor.com/wst_page20.html

recent news about political correctness

http://pcwatch.blogspot.com/

this site discusses the Psycho Dynamics of political correctness, and is a little dry but informative

http://www.sba.oakland.edu/faculty/schwartz/PCJABS.htm

Does anyone ever watch Stand-up comedy? Does George Carlin, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock offend you?

They make people laugh by saying things you "shouldn't" normally say. Its funny because its usually true.

and yes there should be some etiquette and respect for co-workers and collegues, and being professional and courteous. I'm not discounting that.

Its when PC people makes a Mountain out of a mole hill.

Urban Dictionary definitions of Political Correctness:

1. politically correct

A way that we speak in America so we don't offend whining pussies.

Only pathetically weak people that don't have the balls to say what they feel and mean are politically correct pussies.

2. Politically Correct

The laws of moral and ethical relativism; all systems of cultures and thought are equal in value, steming from a perceived guilt from white liberals who believe that the Western Civilization is the root of all evil to the exclusion of all else.

A powerful form of censorship.

3. politically correct

The idealogy of weird left wing liberals who want society to be nothing but accepting of all perverts and freaks everywhere. The main basis is not to offend anyone with one little incorrect word.

Jamal was offended by me calling him a perverted gay fairy black boy all stung out on crack. The politically correct thing to say would be that Jamal is leading an acceptable alternative lifestyle as an african-american homosexual who has the disease of drug addiction.

5. politically correct

A form of censorship practiced by faggots and leftist subversive f*<ks so they don't have to hear any points of view that they don't agree with.

"You can't say 'George Bush'. It offends me. I have the right to not be offended"

The struggle to be "politically correct" has made common people easily irritable and oversensitive to the words of others and their own words. It has created a society that walks on eggshells and that has difficulty being personal with each other because coworkers and potential friends can't joke around for fear of offending the other.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=politically+correct&page=1

But to these ultra-sensitive types, I say "shut up and deal with it"

If it offends you, oh well.??

Go cry.

OK then... :( I'm one of those ultra-sensitive types, and I also have a particularly thin skin. However, I support freedom of speech and I condemn excessive cencorship. But as some members here have pointed out, freedom of speech doesn't give you a licence to be a horrible person. It's perfectly fine to call a spade a spade, but there's no reason to call it a f***ing shovel. Maybe PC should rather stand for "polite" and "courteous".

Maybe PC should rather stand for "polite" and "courteous".

You make an excellent point actually. I am not entirely sure of where the term political correctness is derived from (i would assume some government movement), but polite and courteous does seem to display the true nature of the meaning we have given PC.

Ummm... let me just point out those definitions come from the Urban Dictionary.... where random people put in their opinions...

It's certainly not Oxford.

uummm Thanks for the clarification MB. Isn't that already obvious?

That was the whole point. and its on the previous page.

and if you bothered to read some of the links I provided, you would know where political correctness is derived.

Racoon, why is it so necessary that you be able to offend people? If somebody is gay, why not call them gay, and not a fag? If someone's hispanic, why not call them hispanic, and not a beaner? Why do you desire to use words that offend people when there are plenty of alternatives which mean the same thing without any connotation. I do think that PC speech can be taken too far, but some of your examples are simply rude, inconsiderate, and quite needlessly offensive.

uummm Thanks for the clarification MB. Isn't that already obvious?

That was the whole point. and its on the previous page.

and if you bothered to read some of the links I provided, you would know where political correctness is derived.

:hyper: I did not feel it necessary to spend my time looking at other websites.

I'd love to read them sometime though... just not now.

I'm rather busy.

I must go cut the grass.

3 acres dont you know.

...And I assumed that everyone already knew the definiton of PC. I mean, come on, no one here is stupid. I just figured I'd do a little clarification of my own, just to get the point across that many people (like you Racoon) don't give a flying f**k whether or not you hurt peoples' feelings. But the truth is, unless you want people to hate you, and to think of you as a cruel bastard for the rest of your life, you need to show some courtesy.

I once used the word "retard" in a politically incorrect way around one of my friends. She got really upset because it turns out her little brother is mentally retarded, and it hit rather close to home (literally).

Eventually, you are going to hurt someone with your political incorrectness... and you'll regret it.

I will break the word "political correctness" into its component words. Political and Correctness. Then I would follow Pheadrus the legendary character created by Plato, to ask "What is Political And What is Correct?

Any opinions about these two questions?

I reserve my right to say any thing more only when I feel strongly about the opinions expressed!!:hyper:

Politically Correct is an over used term describing a movement which, at it's heart, was started in order to increase civility and compassion; to bring into greater awareness the need to treat those around us with respect and courtesy; to silence cultural violence and increase peace as broadly as possible in hopes of improving our world, our lives, and our futures.

Racoon, why is it so necessary that you be able to offend people? If somebody is gay, why not call them gay, and not a fag? If someone's hispanic, why not call them hispanic, and not a beaner? Why do you desire to use words that offend people when there are plenty of alternatives which mean the same thing without any connotation. I do think that PC speech can be taken too far, but some of your examples are simply rude, inconsiderate, and quite needlessly offensive.

Let me make a clarification for you pgrmdave, and Chacmool too. :)

I do NOT want to come out and try to offend somebody. :doh:

Ok? thats not what I'm advocating.

Gay - Fag; whats the difference? One word has more impact. But in the end its the same thing. One is homophobic, while the other is descriptive? I don't completely buy that.

that guy is Oriental ; no he's Asian.

That guy is a Janitor; no, hes a sanitation engineer

That guy is Impotent; no, he has erectile dysfunction

that guys a retard; no, hes mentally challenged

that guys ugly; no he's aesthetically challenged

And On, and On and On... :)

I am simply saying that this political correctness has gone too far. and not just with "name calling", but within many professions including the Medical Field. (there are books on that) :evil:

This Ozzie Guillen incident was what sparked this thread. He called a jerk reporter a Fag. and now for 2 days thats all people are talking about (on sports radio)

Should he have said it? No. At least not on camera. but really, so what if he did? is it really that big of a deal??

People also forget that it was in the heat of competitive battle, emotions high, and some jerk reporter was poking away.

as a result, he is taking sensitivity training, but will not apologize

Some people are simply too easily offended, and why should they dictate what gets said or not?

We are sterilizing speech so as not to potentially offend anyone! But theres always gonna' be some dipwad who will take offense to something and try to make a stink.

Chacmool, I agree with being polite and courteous :) . Its much better than rude and offensive. I am probably one of the most polite and courteous person I know in real life. (as a result of being a waiter for years) oops! I wasn't a waiter, I was a "food server"

I'm just saying...and when I'm with friends, playing sports, whatever, loose language is gonna' happen. "dude, quit being such a fag :hihi: "

Of course there should be some appropriate etiquette. And there should be some sensitivity when dealing with people.

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing an erosion of free speech, regardless if I like what I hear or not.

Actions speak louder than words,

Rac

I think InfiniteNow brought up some brilliant points in his first reply.

I also think that at times PC can go too far, but then its a question of where do you draw the line?

To racoon, if you think its OK to call a homosexual a fag, how about calling them a poofter? How about calling them a bumf*cker? How about calling them a ...?

You get the idea, the line has to be drawn somewhere, I guess it should be drawn on the side of caution in regards to offending someone. People also have the right to read the paper or watch television without being offended by the media's portrayal of their particular sexual preference or ethnic heritage.

I think InfiniteNow brought up some brilliant points in his first reply.

I also think that at times PC can go too far, but then its a question of where do you draw the line?

You get the idea, the line has to be drawn somewhere, I guess it should be drawn on the side of caution in regards to offending someone.

Agreed.

InfiniteNow did bring up some good points, but misunderstood my intent.

I'll say this and drop this impasse of a discussion.

I am not favoring slander and name calling, OK? can you understand that?

I am simply stating that people have the freedom of speech rights to speak their mind; and if he said what was on his mind, fine. It doesn't bother me. but it clearly bothers other people.

Dave Chappelle doesn't offend me. I think its funnier than hell. But lots of people get upset about certain language and associations he makes.

:doh:

The media has/is making a huge stink out of Ozzie Guillen calling Jay Mariotti the "F" word. Does that comment really warrant such attention and scrutiny?

Aren't there more important things going on?

Aren't Actions more concerning than words?

Shouldn't people be honest about their thoughts?

Do you think we live in a perfectly sterilized, unoffensive country? and would you want to?

People do agree that PC has gone too far on occasions.. Please explain those instances.

This isn't just about the *F* word. So don't concentrate on that 1 aspect.

That was merely an example I used.

When has PC gone to far?

So what you neg repped me Racoon? Grow up. You're being a brat, and missing some way bigger points here.

That offends me! look who's name calling?

You should say I am "acting differentially opinionated"!

:lol:

What are the bigger points? everyone needs to/should be nice, respectful, and extremely sensitive to homosexuals, minorities, and persons with disabilities?

OK. :)

Is that the big issue I'm missing?

The bigger points being: People are getting blown up and killed daily. People are getting shot, robbed, cheated, sick, starved, tortured, raped, exploited, and lied to.

And some guy calling another guy a fag is WAY down the list.

but media types act as if the guy commited some reprehensible crime.

Whatever :) , all this PC biz' is kinda over-reacting to me.

Thicker skinned than most I guess,

Rac

So what you neg repped me Racoon? Grow up. You're being a brat, and missing some way bigger points here.

I see you have an iron knee. I felt the pain of you kneeing me in the rep, and read your message. Yet, I don't believe you were willing to read mine.

So quick to call other's out about actions you too have done yourself.

I believe admitting is the first of 12 steps. Unless you have a different program that works that I should know of.