Science Forums

Political Correctness

Racoon

I am not going to use the word fag, gay, bi, hetro, or homosexual to converse with someone is a homosexual. Why? It is none of my business what somone's sexual orientation is. Should it have any basis on how I view and treat someone? No. Why hurt someone? I work with many people from other ethnic and racial groups. I do not think in terms of what color their skin is or where they come from. They are my coworkers and I try to treat everyone fairly.

The word political is derived from politics, which according to wikitionary can mean

The study of disputes between rival political factions. "Favoritism is the only use of politics." Richard L Kempe

The practice of responding to conflict with dialogue.

Whether a particular stance is correct or incorrect depends on the context and the company.

Therefore in my opinion the heat generated in the above discussion was avoidable.

I can see the point Racoon has been trying to make, I can also appreciate the stance of Infinitenow et. al. But, I really cannot comprehend how such wise men have been engaged in such a meaningless discussion for so long:confused:

Thank you for the responses.

I went back and re-read everything again.

You who have posted are respondining to the word *fag* and not unto Political Correctness itself. :naughty:

And quit telling me to just say "gay" instead of the alternative..

As if I didn't already know that.

I am talking erosion of Free speech...

"Don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all that heavenly glory"

__Bruce Lee

I went back and re-read everything again.

You who have posted are respondining to the word *fag* and not unto Political Correctness itself. :naughty:

And quit telling me to just say "gay" instead of the alternative..

As if I didn't already know that.

I am talking erosion of Free speech...

To be clear, I was responding to the tone of your post, and the lack of any concentrated thought. You were all over the place and just ranting. If you don't like the way something is, as I said in my first post, suggest an alternative. :)

Cheers. :cup:

I see you have an iron knee. I felt the pain of you kneeing me in the rep, and read your message. Yet, I don't believe you were willing to read mine.

So quick to call other's out about actions you too have done yourself.

Ouch... yeah... oooohhh.... got me there, huh? Gosh... how could I have been so obscenely mistaken in my point of view... Good thing you were here to help me. :naughty:

To be clear, I was responding to the tone of your post, and the lack of any concentrated thought. You were all over the place and just ranting. If you don't like the way something is, as I said in my first post, suggest an alternative. :)

Cheers. :)

Hrm, your suggestion was FOR an alternative. My question is: What is A alternative for A suggestion?

Ouch... yeah... oooohhh.... got me there, huh? Gosh... how could I have been so obscenely mistaken in my point of view... Good thing you were here to help me. :D

If I sense sarcasum:

My mistake, I fell victim to my own knee. Now I'm troubled by the cause.

Let me start a new begining. What is it you seek help with?

If I misjudged my senses:

What is it you seek help with?

Here ends the questions from DarkColoredLight; Chapter rough draft, verse InfiniteNow.

I just think its rather silly that everyone takes slashes at other peoples' throats. The point of this thread is to discuss political correctness, not degrading others for their views.

Don't get me wrong: Arguements are fine (obviously, since that's what the thread is about), but it does not have to get so personal.

I don't know. I don't have a problem with it. It just seems a little pointless.

I wish there were e-guns.

:hyper:

*bang*

I just think its rather silly that everyone takes slashes at other peoples' throats. The point of this thread is to discuss political correctness, not degrading others for their views.

Don't get me wrong: Arguements are fine (obviously, since that's what the thread is about), but it does not have to get so personal.

I don't know. I don't have a problem with it. It just seems a little pointless.

I wish there were e-guns.

:hyper:

*bang*

So you don't consider your e-words to be e-guns?

Shooting at the feet of others to get them to dance. But, in the act of the dance, we lose sight that the shooter might of shot him/her/self in the foot a couple times.

There are other ways to make people dance, we just wish we all had e-guns in our hands. So we can proceed with the natural process. Possibly harnessing e-guns to compliment our own e-go's in our own brains.

At the risk of contriversially changing the general aggressive vibe of this thread, I'm going to add my two cents about political correctness.

Political correctness is patantly false as anybody with an IQ over 90 can see. If I were to say 'Black people are better runners' I would be stating a basic undeniable truth (for those that don't believe me, how many white 100m spriters do you know who have actually competed for a medal?). However, this idea is contrary to political correctness whereby all races are equal in everything. If one can start disputing physical characteristics, then there is no reason why we can't dispute mental characteristics either.

However, political correctness is also absolutely essential if we wish to live in a tollerent society. Too many people lack the brains or the education necessary to make up their own mind in a way that does not make them a racist thug. This racism is absolutely wrong and thus political correctness is a very good thing to improve society's tollerence.

Therefore, I suggest using political correctness as a good guide but realise it is not an accurate model for anything other than superficial analysis. Further, when your analysis strays from political correctness, be very careful about what you are saying and make absolutely certain that the evidence supports your conclusions and that you go no further than those conclusions so drawn.

Cheers. :)

Re: Great Words - 05-19-2006, 12:53 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****tard

Assmonkey

Asshat

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [end quote]

Well, according to you, a Great word is "****tard" ??

Yet you seem to have a problem calling someone a Retard. :)

"Assmonkey" ?? is that what you'd call a "gay" person instead of a fag?? or would you refer that great word for an African American??

I understand what you're getting at, IN, but what I am saying is theres enough Hypocritical BS going on in the world that its really starting to stink.

I do not advocate going out of your way to offend somebody, nor make Racist remarks. Can I make that any clearer??

But sometimes a "stronger" word does better.

The circumstances need to be evaluated. Obviously you can say things to friends that you wouldn't say in the workplace, and thats fine.

I have been hit on by Gay Guys before..and I can 'respect' their *alternative lifestyle* but I tell them "Get off me Fag" :epizza:

That way they understand that I'm not interested in being "gay" with them.

Its not exactly PC to come up to someone and suggest anal intercourse either...:eek2:

My solution is for people to be more "reasonable", and quit getting so upset over a few words.

My other suggestion, is to say that the Medical and Science community need not be so "sterilizing" with regards to what they are trying to say.

everything is *differentially, challenged* whatever...

I look and copy some examples.. and there were a few in the previous links I provided.

Word mean nothing, action speaks louder.

Action, then the lack of words speaks the loudest. That's why these "retards" which we're so willing to call them, are much greater. They action, not without think, but without overthinking. They speak no out of what they did, but because they can't explain what they did. I would say that these "gods" who ever they are, look down upon the gifted. Gifted is the word I like to call what most would consider retards. Because mother nature loves them. When, father figure does not let them understand love.

Very extra ordinarily gifted,

DCL

Wow... ever heard the term "context" before? I notice you didn't bother using any of my other "Great Words" posts... Either way, I wasn't calling anyone by those terms, just saying they were great words. Big difference fellas. Another great word: Intent. It's even been brought up in it's own thread recently.

Get this thread back on track. Ask some specific questions, raise some quality arguments, or offer some valid alternatives. Otherwise, I'm closing it for lack of any meaningful scientific contributions or debate.

Cheers. :confused:

Hopefully, we can stop arguing and get back on the topic: "Political Correctness"

Perhaps this quote by Benjamin Franklin will get the brain juices flowing again...

"If all printers were determined not to print anything till they were sure it would offend nobody, there would be very little printed."

Any thoughts?