Science Forums

Sexually Transmitted Disease

Racoon

I don't understand what the controversy is over the use of the HPV vaccine.

It keeps people from contracting a wide spread disease. In women it practically (theoretically) should kill the incidence of cervical cancer.

That's it's pros, what are it's cons? What makes it controversial?

Is it simple irrational fear of personal demons projected?

Seriously, I can understand cloning, gene-engineering, nuclear industry, stem cells from aborted fetuses. This however is a shot, like one gets for tetanus. So what's the big deal?

I don't understand what the controversy is over the use of the HPV vaccine.

It keeps people from contracting a wide spread disease. In women it practically (theoretically) should kill the incidence of cervical cancer.

That's it's pros, what are it's cons? What makes it controversial?

I would guess it results from individuals taking the concept of personal freedoms out of context. That, and of course, god doesn't want us to use medicine... :beer:

Angels will heal his tumor. Hmmm... what if we just call the doctor an angel instead?

According to my (Yank) chemist it will encourage young girls to go and have untrammeled, wild, sex orgys now they no longer fear getting cervical cancer. :beer:

Obviously that is true! Fear of this virus is the only thing keeping those young girls in line:doh:

Many people in the USA are soooo uptight about anything related to sex that we bury it. Won't talk about it, don't give young kids advice and make people uncomfortable asking about sex. This leads to all sorts of issues.

As for me, I had the natural delay in sexual relations as I was a Geek (still am, and damn proud of it:computerkeys:

Merck, the pharmacological giant now wants a law that requires 11-12 year old girls to get the HPV/Cervical cancer vaccine!

Merck has a lot of money and political clout with legislators in their pockets.

Looks like it's happened in Texas, and may be just a matter of time before other states follow:

NPR : States Consider Requiring HPV Vaccine for Girls

• 3 weeks later...

More on herpes and Aids

The clinical management of herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) in patients with HIV infection has lagged seriously behind the large body of medical literature on the importance of the interaction between these two pathogens.3

Persistent HSV-2 infection was one of the original opportunistic infections that resulted in the identification of HIV.

Since the initial reports in 1988 studying men who have sex with men, many additional studies have shown the association between prevalent and incident HSV-2 infection and the risk of HIV acquisition.

The interconnections between HSV-2 and HIV-1 are well documented; the vast majority of patients with sexually acquired HIV — whether they are women or men or live in Europe, North America, Africa, or Asia — also have HSV-2 infection.

The study by Nagot et al. highlights the potential benefit that screening and treating subclinical HSV-2 infection may offer to patients with HIV infection. Many questions about the interaction between these two organisms remain,

NEJM -- Synergistic Copathogens -- HIV-1 and HSV-2

• 2 weeks later...

Racoon

Things could always be worse!

News

Spiders sacrifice genitals to ensure paternity

Friday, 9 March 2007

Sarah Bartlett

Cosmos Online

Spiders sacrifice genitals to ensure paternity

Male wasp spiders employ an unusual technique to ensure that theior one shot at passing on their genes is successful.

Image: Frank Luerweg

SYDNEY: Male wasp spiders allow part of their genitals to snap off and lodge in their female partner during sex - impeding other males attempts to mate with her.

Spiders sacrifice genitals to ensure paternity | COSMOS magazine

Do animals, in the wild, doing the wild thing, ever get STD's? The answer is probally no. The reason is natural behavior. Unnatural behavior alters a natural balance resulting in an adjustment to help restore the balance. Medicine addresses the natural adjustment (affect) without addressing the cause. That may be good business sense, since adressing the cause could cut into the bottom line (ching ching).

If you look at the spread of STD, it creates victims, which is the foundation of crime. Nobody goes out with the intension of getting STD's. It is a type of cultural polution that one gets exposed to, which can have severe consequences. The polluter should be subject to fines. How about tough love. If one gets or gives an STD, they must go to counceling or quarenteen to protect society from futher STD polution.

Maybe we need to take the second hand smoke approach. Those little STD cooties might jump, swim, crawl, fly, etc., and may affect neurotic people even if they know it is nearby. Maybe someone with STD should not allowed to use public rest rooms, pools, gyms, etc., Maybe there needs to be a national registry, like with sex offenders, that identify those with STD's. This would allow one a better chance at avoiding STD's. Before dates, you go to the internet to see if your date has anything. We don't want small children hurt, so somone with STD's can't live within 1000 ft of a school.

I am kidding here. I quite surprised the it hasn't come to this. Maybe those who normally create such laws, have STD's and want to be treated with more dignity than they usually treat other fetishes.

Do animals, in the wild, doing the wild thing, ever get STD's? The answer is probally no. The reason is natural behavior.

It's always fun to see individuals go off on long tangents of logic which itself is based on false premises, but actually, the answer is DEFINITELY yes.

Don't sleep with a gorilla

(or if you do practice "safe sex")

Not sure any activity in which a non-gorilla is trying to have sex with a gorilla could EVER be considered "safe," even if prophylactics are involved. :)

:)

Here's a question? What is the step by step evolution of your run of the mill sexually transmitted disease? What is it about multiple sex partners that creates the conditions needed for STD's to appear?

If a couple is married and begin clean, STD's never appear. These same two people could have married two other people from other races, and still no STD's. The fluid exchange would be slightly differen,t with different monogamous partners, but the conditions would still not be conducive to forming new STD's. Why does blending more than a few partners all of a sudden change the blend causing STD's?

The reason I ask is, understanding the initial STD formation mechanism could lead to treatment, like a flu shot, that alters the STD formation conditions. With such a treatment, if STD free people only messed around with other STD free people, none of them would ever have to worry about STD's, or would they?

Here's a question? What is the step by step evolution of your run of the mill sexually transmitted disease? What is it about multiple sex partners that creates the conditions needed for STD's to appear?
On a very high level, I think it’s safe to characterize the appearance of an STD as
  • The mutation of a benign organism that is already sexually transmitted into a disease pathogen
  • The mutation of a pathogen that is not sexually transmitted into one that is
  • A dramatic increase of the population size of a STD due to its transmission from one isolated animal population into another (the “hello, sailor” effect)

If a couple is married and begin clean, STD's never appear.
Unfortunately, this is not always true. For example, without surgical (Cesarean delivery) or drug (Eg: Zidovudine therapy) intervention the rate of transmission of HIV/AIDS from infected mother to child is about 20%. Many of these children survive, and are even asymptomatic, to marriageable age, allowing the disease to be transmitted even if neither they nor their spouses have sex with other infected people.
The reason I ask is, understanding the initial STD formation mechanism could lead to treatment, like a flu shot, that alters the STD formation conditions.
The pursuit of STD preventing treatments is a subject of intense humanitarian and commercial interest.

Such a treatment, a HPV vaccine, is currently the subject of much public discussion and news.

With such a treatment, if STD free people only messed around with other STD free people, none of them would ever have to worry about STD's, or would they?
Without such a treatment, if STD-free people only have sex with other STD-free people, none of them can contract an STD, though they might still worry about it.

On the other hand, even an ineffective treatment of prevention strategy can reduce peoples’ worries about contracting STDs, even though they might still contract them. Abstinence-only sex education programs are an example of such a prevention strategy – even though such programs have been shown in well-controlled statistical studies to not significantly affect the rate of occurrence of STDs, or even to increase it, many participants in these programs report a reduction in worries about contracting STDs.

Great post on an important topic that I guess I am treating a bit too lightly.

Surprising that "abstinence" does not reduce STD rate. But predictable

If a couple is married and begin clean, STD's never appear.

I am not sure I understand your point here

HB said 'begin clean' so he is hypothesising no STDs of any kind to start.

HB many animals eg primates birds, are very promiscuous. In some animals there are so many copulations that "Sperm Wars" erupt (I can her the Star Wars theme now) and only the fittest sperm gets to the egg.

We use sex as a bonding glue to keep a partner and power play.

I know one variety of Chimps has sex all day with every possible combination and permutation male/male male/female adult/child, child /child . It is thought that this helps the group form a tight knit social bond. It would be interesting to look at their STD rate.

How come as a society we are so coy about using condoms?

A very simple answer to reducing STDs (and unwanted pregnancies)

What is the rate of STD transmission in societies less hung up about sex as in Scandinavia- Is it more or less?

By the way IN someone has to have slept with a gorilla

GORILLAS GAVE HUMANS PUBIC LICE (News in Science, 8/3/07)

Around 3.3 million years ago, gorillas gave our early hominid ancestors pubic lice, and humans have had them ever since, according to new research.

News in Science - Gorillas gave humans pubic lice - 08/03/2007

:rotfl:

Is there a smilie for groan

Dale Clayton, a biology professor from the University of Utah, says the possibilities are a real, and almost literal, head-scratcher.

PS

DR KARL'S GREAT MOMENTS IN SCIENCE - CIA did (not) make AIDS?

A 2005 study examined the opinions and attitudes of African-Americans to HIV/AIDS. About half of them believed that not only is the cure to AIDS being withheld, but that HIV is an "artificial virus". Dr Karl looks at one of the more alarming claims that HIV was created by the CIA.

CIA did (not) make AIDS? - Great Moments in Science - The Lab

• 4 weeks later...

Racoon

i think you are going to need to join a monestry of monks:)

(Not gay ones!!)

Cold Sore Virus Might Play Role in Alzheimer�s

A gene known to be a major risk factor for Alzheimer�s disease puts out the welcome mat for the virus that causes cold sores, allowing the virus to be more active in the brain compared to other forms of the gene.

The new findings, published online in the journal Neurobiology of Aging, add some scientific heft to the idea, long suspected by some scientists, that herpes somehow plays a role in bringing about Alzheimer�s disease.

(Media-Newswire.com) - The work links a form of the ApoE gene known as ApoE-4, which after advanced age is the leading known risk factor for getting Alzheimer�s disease, with the form of herpes � herpes simplex 1 or HSV � that infects more than 80 percent of Americans and causes cold sores around the mouth.

The findings from a group at the University of Rochester Medical Center show that the particular form of the gene that puts people at risk also creates a fertile environment for herpes in the brain, allowing the virus to be more active than other forms of the ApoE gene permit.

Scientists have known for more than 15 years that the ApoE-4 gene is a player in Alzheimer�s disease, but the idea that it works in concert with the herpes virus is new.

�This work raises the question whether herpes in concert with ApoE-4 increases the risk of Alzheimer�s disease.

The data suggests that ApoE-4 may support the ability of HSV to be a more virulent pathogen,� said Howard Federoff, M.D., Ph.D., the leader of the team and professor of Neurology, Medicine, and Microbiology & Immunology.

He worked closely with post-doctoral research associate Renee Miller, Ph.D., on the project.

The findings, which are based on measurements of the activity levels of the herpes virus in the brains of mice with different forms of the human ApoE gene, bring together several lines of research that have pointed toward a possible role for herpes in Alzheimer�s disease.

Ruth Itzhaki of the University of Manchester has

Media-Newswire.com - Press Release Distribution - PR Agency

• 1 month later...

Some really good news for women and the men who love them

It seems that the Australian cervical cancer vaccine prevents and/or inhibits a number of cancers

Se New England Journal of Medicine.

Quadrivalent Vaccine against Human Papillomavirus to Prevent Anogenital Diseases

S.M. Garland and Others

Free Full Text

Is it being rolled out in the USA, England and SA yet?