Science Forums

Sexually Transmitted Disease

Racoon

Abstaining doesn't seem like that bad of an idea after viewing these pics...

This is the kind of stuff we need to be showing in Sex Ed in Middle School (Grades 6-8) :). STD's are naught to be messed with.

Such images do make that impression. :shrug:

Well collected and analyzed data, however, shows that “scared celibate / abstinence only” sex ed programs tend to slightly reduce the number of students having sex, and the number of times they have it, but increase the number of students having unprotected sex, with a resulting increase in the per student rate of (presumably unplanned) pregnancy. I’m unaware of good statistics concerning STDs, and, given my experience with medical privacy law, mistrustful of sources that state STD rates as if they are very accurate, reliable statistics.

A really effective sex ed course might show awful photos, then hand out all manners of condoms and spermicidal/antimicrobial creams, for those situations when abstinence just doesn’t happen.

Alas.... how sex-ed should be taught has been one of the greatest battles facing public-education systems here in the US... especially when it comes to the topic of...

::looks over shoulder::

..CONDOMS!

wah-wah-wah.

hahha. it seems that people would rather have kids practice abstinence instead of Safe sex.

whatever.

CraigD .. Ive read ur posts in this thread and commend you on insight .. I also agree with you .. I am also skeptical .. about listing statistics as they are often inconclusive .. and are only an estimation .. based on a particular country ..

I believe this subject is actually a significant shaper of our present day history, which is marked by conflict between more technologically advanced “open” (in their own words) or “decadent” (in others’) societies, and less technologically advanced, more “moral” (in their own words) or “repressive” (in others’) ones. However this real life experiment turns out, I hope the process is gentle, but fear that it will not be.

Sexually transmitted diseases have been well-known for hundreds of years ..

Prior to the invention of modern medicine .. STD's were generally incurable .. and treatment was limited to treating the symptoms of the disease ..

The first voluntary hospital for STD's .. was founded in 1746 ..The first treatment for a STD's .. was salvarsan .. a treatment for syphillis ..

STD's emerged as a problem .. after World War ll in the 50's .. when new technology had revolutionized the world on a whole .. as soldiers returned from war .. and the population exploded in mass proportions compared with any other time in history .. Along with this population increase .. came an even bigger risk .. Depression .. as kids were ousted .. onto the street and rejected by their parents .. gangs in america replaced the milkbars of the time .. kids became less receptive and more withdrawn .. characterising a low sense of self and a lack of self awareness .. drugs hit the scene .. gay men came out of the closet .. and society had changed on a whole ..

With the discovery of antibiotics .. a larger number of STD's .. became easily curable .. and .. combined with effective public health campaigns against STDs .. led to a public perception during the 60s and 70s that they had ceased to be a serious medical threat .. however .. STD's themselves were not the only threat .. from 1950 onwards .. society lacked a sense of value .. with every new threat this value diminished ..

The arrival of television began to reflect low-level violence and sex .. and the traditional family no longer existed to due increased options .. and the only birth control throughout this time was to abstain from sex .. Prior to the early to mid-1980s .. condoms were low profile .. undervalued articles .. Their primary use revolved around the avoidance of pregnancy .. Their function in helping to prevent STD's .. although recognized .. was not a major consideration among the general public ..

STD's .. until the early 80's and the emergence of Aids .. were kept silent .. as was abuse .. although abuse emerged as a problem in the 70's .. for all the world to see .. Until the 1990s .. such afflictions of STD's were commonly known as venereal diseases

The effects of the past 60 years are still beng seen to this day .. in the sex industry and infidelity of marriages .. propells one to wonder "what next"

Ashley

• 3 weeks later...

I think all girls should be vaccinated against HPV.

I hate seeing all those people whine: "eeeehhhh.... my little princess isn't sexually active! I don't want her to get some icky vaccine! waaahh... ehhh.."

Geeeshhh. If it's gonna prevent thousands of cases of cancer, just go through with it! It really is not that big of a deal.

• 1 month later...

An interesting AIDS quiz.

I got a few wrong.

I thought I knew more than I do.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060813/aids_conference_060813/20060813?hub=Canada

Then click pop:"AIDS Awareness Quiz"

also

CHINA: Reported cases of HIV AIDS continue to rise

http://www.abc.net.au/ra/asiapac/programs/s1795154.htm

New figures show there's been a big jump in the number of reported HIV/Aids cases in China, a 30 percent jump in fact, that's more than 180-thousand cases this year alone.

Authorities have attributed 37-percent of these cases to drug abuse and 28-percent to unsafe sex. And the health ministry warns it could get worse

• 3 months later...

Something to worry Racoon with

Love hurts: living with herpes - Your Stories - Health Matters

Love hurts: living with herpes

by Kathy Graham

Dealing with the symptoms of herpes is bad enough, but as Kathy Graham discovered, getting an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment was even more painful.

Published 14/12/2006

Image: iStockphoto

I was in Patagonia on a hiking trip when I started experiencing what I guessed were the telltale signs of genital herpes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Merck, the pharmacological giant now wants a law that requires 11-12 year old girls to get the HPV/Cervical cancer vaccine!

Merck has a lot of money and political clout with legislators in their pockets.

Funny how all this stuff comes back around.. Yet there is opposition, and rightfully so.

Forced vaccinations? Does that sound like a good idea?

(article chopped for forum purposes, but encourage you to read the full text)

Drugmaker wants law to require STD shot - Cancer - MSNBC.com

AUSTIN, Texas - Merck & Co. is helping bankroll efforts to pass state laws requiring girls as young as 11 or 12 to receive the drugmaker’s new vaccine against the sexually transmitted cervical-cancer virus.

Some conservatives and parents’-rights groups say such a requirement would encourage premarital sex and interfere with the way they raise their children, and they say Merck’s push for such laws is underhanded. But the company said its lobbying efforts have been above-board.

A top official from Merck’s vaccine division sits on Women in Government’s business council, and many of the bills around the country have been introduced by members of Women in Government.

“Cervical cancer is of particular interest to our members because it represents the first opportunity that we have to actually eliminate a cancer,” Women in Government President Susan Crosby said.

Protection against HPV

Gardasil, approved by the federal government in June, protects girls and women against strains of the human papillomavirus, or HPV, that are responsible for most cases of cervical cancer. A government advisory panel has recommended that all girls get the shots at 11 and 12, before they are likely to be sexually active.

But no state has yet to add Gardasil to the list of vaccinations youngsters must have under law to be enrolled in school.

Laws could mean billions in sales

The New Jersey-based drug company could generate billions in sales if Gardasil — at $360 for the three-shot regimen — were made mandatory across the country. Most insurance companies now cover the vaccine, which has been shown to have no serious side effects.

Cathie Adams, president of the conservative watchdog group Texas Eagle Forum, said the relationship between Merck and Women in Government is too cozy.

“What it does is benefit the pharmaceutical companies, and I don’t want pharmaceutical companies taking precedence over the authorities of parents,” she said.

Funny how all this stuff comes back around.. Yet there is opposition, and rightfully so.

Forced vaccinations? Does that sound like a good idea?

Most school systems, as well as universities, in the US require that children be vaccinated for certain diseases. I could see how (in the future), it be mandated that girls be vaccinated for HPV in order to attend places of higher education.

It would certainly take a while for this to become law, but I do not see it out of the realm of possibility. Certainly a very controversial issue.

Most school systems, as well as universities, in the US require that children be vaccinated for certain diseases. I could see how (in the future), it be mandated that girls be vaccinated for HPV in order to attend places of higher education.

Good point, MB. Perhaps it would be different if HPV were not contagious, but since it is, that changes everything.

Not to stray too far from the intent of this thread, but in order to expand upon my point: for my school system here in Maryland, the requirements for public school immunizations are as follows:

-DTP

-Polio

-Hib

-Measles

-Mumps

-Rubella

-Varicella

-Hepatitis B

-PCV7

As well, anyone entering a state college or university is required to have a Meningococcal vaccine.

I could see HPV fitting into this list quite easily at some point especially with the increasing promiscuity of today's youth.

Fortunately AIDS is not too Rampant here in the United States.

This site also offers some other statistics from around the world:

United States HIV & AIDS statistics summary

AIDS in Africa is another matter all together :lol:

Actually Racoon here in India it's spreading all around my city. Every way you can think of. Even from a USED SHAVING BLADE it's spreading. I heard people saying that in Africa, for religion of course, they have sex with monkeys:eek: !!! It's not sperading among animals because monkeys are imune to it and it's only by that kind o' contact that it spreads. Now I haven't heard any speiceis having sex in a bed and im pretty sure they don't:lol: !

Aids in USA

People living with AIDS

At the end of 2005, the CDC estimates that 437,982 people were living with AIDS in the USA.United States HIV & AIDS statistics summary

1 The chart below shows the ethnicities of these people, revealing that black Americans have been disproportionately affected.

Around 77% of adults and adolescents living with AIDS are men.

An estimated 1,411 children aged under 13 were living with AIDS at the end of 2005, most of whom probably acquired the infection from their mothers.

An estimated 15,310 people were living with HIV in Australia at the end of 2005.

From the start of the epidemic until the end of March 2006, there have been 22,615 diagnoses of HIV (after adjusting for multiple reports) and 9,806 diagnoses of AIDS. Australia has recorded 6,611 deaths of people with AIDS.

In 2005, AIDS incidence in Australia (1.3 per 100,000 population) was the same as that in the UK and much lower than that in the United States (14.3 per 100,000 population in 2004).

AIDS & HIV Statistics Summary for Australia

Again, the USA Health System lets everyone down.

PS

If a vaccine can stop someone dying; it should be used.