Science Forums

Energy

It's entirely possible, as InfiniteNow mentioned; just like you can change the equation, you can change their forms. Although it is highly inefficient with our current technology. For a better explanation I would reccomend Isaac Asimov's book on...well, I forgot the title but I think it's something along the lines of the 50 most asked questions in science. He delivers probably the best answer I've heard.

You can, but you need to take a large number of energy to compress it into a peice of mass so small its almost undetectable.

The nuclear bomb demonstrates mass changing to energy. But this only splits a part of the atom. It only uses 0.1% of the energy E=MC2 will calculate. If the bombs worked with 100% efficiency we would be in alot of trouble. This is called nuclear fission, it fizzes the atom. Like if you pull on a string between each hand and your elbows are aligned to hit two balls. When the string snaps your potential energy will release and hit the ball with amazing acceleration and force. However, you would have to break it over and over untill there was nothing left but dust to use it all.

Sort of like this, is an atom.

Fussion I guess creates more energy.

Just by accelerating something you are converting energy into mass, according to the theory of relativity. The faster something moves the higher its mass. Happens all the time in particle accelerators. I heard particles' masses can increase thousands of times in the most powerful accelerators.

Mass and energy are not the same. Mass can not travel at C but energy can. These are two different phenomena. If we create mass from energy it tends to divide into matter and anti-matter, which cancels back to energy. It is not a stable conversion. Matter into energy is different. This does not divide into energy and anti-energy pairs, only energy.

Relativistic mass is a little different than real mass. Relativistic mass and energy are two aspect of the same thing. It takes energy to make relativstic mass, If one creates relativistic mass in a particle accelerator and then slows the particles down, one does not end up with more stable mass particles, i.e., protons, electrons, etc. The relativistic mass is virtual mass and ends up as short lived particles leading to energy.

Mass is just rest energy.

A hot brick at rest has slightly more energy than the same brick cold, at rest. So, in the same gravitational field it will weigh slightly more. If you buy them buy weight, make sure the vendor lets them fully cool down before weighing them. :confused:

Similarly, the total mass of a sugar molecule and 9 oxygen molecules is greater than the total mass of 6 of carbon dioxide and 6 of water.

Mass is just rest energy.

A hot brick at rest has slightly more energy than the same brick cold, at rest. So, in the same gravitational field it will weigh slightly more. If you buy them buy weight, make sure the vendor lets them fully cool down before weighing them. :confused:

Similarly, the total mass of a sugar molecule and 9 oxygen molecules is greater than the total mass of 6 of carbon dioxide and 6 of water.

Quite right, although we normally consider this energy negligible.

To show a more prominent example (and less connected with the day-to-day life) we can look at Uranium-235, it's mass added to a neutron which hits it, and compare it with the masses of the fission products. A difference in mass (called mass defect) is seen.