Science Forums

Spaceship Design

Jay-qu

Name  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Name

I envision doing the travelling without the need of some external ship. Somehow folding spacetime and travelling as is. No ship.

Ahem... Don't make me roll my eyes at you IN. :) We are discussing STUFF, like power tools and cars. You can't just jump in and claim the powers of superman and make yourself invincible! Thats like saying you would win the Indianapolis 500 on foot. At least say you need some kind of special suit to travel to non-hospitiable places. :D

Bill

Reason for creating anti-matter on the fly, it takes so damn long - ok so currently it is still to long even for creating it as you need it, a new process would be needed. Then there would be no need to refuel anti-matter, but I dont know how long we can make the reactors last before they need more fuel..

I envision doing the travelling without the need of some external ship. Somehow folding spacetime and travelling as is. No ship.

How could we go about building Teleportation???

The best of both worlds!

We'd need the SuperSuits BigDog mentioned.

There should be a teleporter on the Mothership, like a cheesy Star Trek rip off, to eliminate the expense and maintainence of the smaller landing crafts!

Ok with about 15 minutes of work at a popular 3dprrogram I whipped up a basic representation of my idea for a design.

the 2 yellowish pie-plates are arrays of alligned permanet magnets, with the green toroids around them being a combination of permanent and electro-magnets (acs as a bearing system and as a motor at the same time)

The outer casing is crudely shaped to follow the magnetic feild lines generated by the disks and bearing system. Fore and aft there are lage 'still' compartments subdivided into launch/landing bays, cargo bays, microgravity reserch centers and a pair of nuclear piles for power.

The habitat area is connected directly to the magnetic disks, and spins. it is carved up into 5-6 cylindrical decks, there is an elevator system connecting the decks, and a backup system of acess tubes wich double as ventilation shafts.(not depicted of yet) Atleast one deck would be dedicated to a hydroponics system. The outer most deck should have approx 1.2-1.5 Gs of force exerted, this is the workout area and higher-G experiment facilities.

To get from the motionless section tothe section in motion you would have to hysicly jump into it from the center secion of the ship and either be caught by some padded foamy stuff (wheee! :)) or physicly catch some bar to pull you up to speed. after that the friction of your footwear should suffice to keep you 'grounded'(not yet depicted)

The wireframe picture is intended to give an idea on scaling and positioning of peices in relation to each other. Pardon the low poly-count but I'll save uber-effort for later. :)

post-259-12821009217_thumb.jpg

post-259-128210092174_thumb.jpg

post-259-128210092176_thumb.jpg

post-259-128210092179_thumb.jpg

I thought you where a racoon?

I am a lieutenant of a spacecraft! :note2: the USS Prophesy! :love: Along with the USS Turtle and Starfleet command. :) :)

Racoon is my handle.

We are to peacefully co-exist during a very long Space Travel mission!

so, I think we need to analyize your Dreams a little further Jay-Qu!

You may psychologically jeapordize the mission :D . Forget the Technology.

Whats on your Chin? :note: Ketchup??

http://hypography.com/forums/lounge/1714-random-memoir-dream-two-14.html

:shade:

I have no quarrel with your racoon, you shall keep me entertained on our long journey - we can set up a mini hypography in the network aboard our ship :) or find some way to connect back to the internet so we can still comunicate.

I have no quarrel with your racoon, you shall keep me entertained on our long journey - we can set up a mini hypography in the network aboard our ship ;) or find some way to connect back to the internet so we can still comunicate.

The ship will need all the brain power and sense of humor it can muster. :)

This wouldn't be possible without Jay-Qu!

Traveling in space will have its down time, lets not forget.

Personalities need to be compatible; we want cohesion. :D

Astronauts are highly trained, well balanced individuals. Only the best!

creme de la creme.

And the crew of Hypography is perfect...

Now, about the internal schematics...

I've developed a waste elimination system.

the Skat Howitzer Implementation Trajectoralizer, or S.H.I.T. for short. :shrug:

we launch the stuff in a frozen ball, similar to how commercial airlines drop their "loads" into the ocean.

and in the process we make new Comets! :)

Maybe a dumb question... Is the vacuume of space cold enough to use low temp superconductors integrated into our designs that would not require other means of refrigeration?

Bill, Bill, Bill,

the only dumb questions are the ones YOU ask. ;) :) :) :D

Sorry! Forgive me! I mean, ...the only ones you DON'T ask. Yeah. :shrug:

Space has no temperature because it has no matter. Space can be "said" to have whatever temperature of the radiation in that volume of space. So, on the shadowed side of the ship, assuming no nearby planets or moons to reflect light (energy), a radiator fin that we place there would soon be down to equilbrium temperature of a few tens of Kelvins. Cryomongous!! However, the same radiator fin placed on the sunward side would get quite hot. Think of the light and dark sides of our Moon. (100F vs. -200F)

We could easily extrude radiator fins around the rim of the ship (shadow side only) and radiate away our waste heat

...the Skat Howitzer Implementation Trajectoralizer, or S.H.I.T. for short. ...we launch the stuff in frozen balls...

spreading the frozen elixers of Life, Love & Purity throughout the Galaxy!! :shrug:

Love the acronym.

I'm new to this thread, but I hope no one minds my presenting my own version of a ship. It uses the "spinning wheel" model(a popular one) for simulated gravity.

It is driven by seven VASIMR engines capable of producing a constant .02g thrust for the duration of any trip. The ship is designed to accelerate for half the trip, and then decelerate for the rest of the trip.

Since the ship will be under constant drive during the trip the "floor" of the living section will be tilted at a little over 1° to compensate.( For the periods such as when in parking orbit, when the ship is not under drive, anything that absolutely needs to be level will be designed to be adjustable. )

The the fuel/cargo holds are modular, so that you can easily adjust your payload/fuel ratio for maximum effect.

One last feature is the "Storm Cellar". This is where the crew will ride out any periods of increased solar activity. As well as being more heavily shielded than the living section, it is surrounded by the fuel/cargo holds for extra protection. This section is shown in the last of the series of pictures, which has part of the living section cut away and one of the fuel/ cargo holds removed.

Eep! Long journy! Do not throw away precious fertalizer!

Right GAHD!

Human Skat does not make good fertilizer...:phones:

BUT... the Urine does!

So I have also developed a Piss recycling mechanism, still needing testing , for that purpose you mentioned.

Loam-type Elixmatron Ammonia Komposting.... or L.E.A.K. for short. :note2: