Science Forums

Spaceship Design

Jay-qu

Name  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Name

What may not be clear in the drawing is the sheer size of the Turtle starship.

Width is one full kilometer. That's about 0.4 miles, off the top of my hat. 3,300 feet, off the bottom of my butt.

Quite large. As a generation ship it would have to be.

As in all thing space, are there any special features that help to reduce the mass of this ship?

The water in the outer-most toroidal ring flows counter to the motion of the magLev train, balancing out gyro forces. It also serves as shielding.

If the internal trains were individually tethered to the center of the ship, but still connected to each other,they could be rotated without the need of the maglev. (just a suggestion)

The huge water ring just inside the landers, can be frozen to serve as a heat sink while in "interstellar travel" mode. It also shields the magLev train from the engines. There is a third water tank, disk shaped, that shields the cargo holds from the engines.

Shielding good :hyper:

Why would the system need a heat sink? (scuse the ignorance :hihi: )

Except for the magLev train/habitation cars, the interior of the Turtle is in vacuum at all times. So the hull doors can be opened to allow the engines to fire, or the landers to egress/ingress without losing atmosphere.

Full of silly questions today aren't I?

I am uncertain of the purpose of having hull material over the entire structure. It would seem that mass could be drastically reduced if more of the ship were aligned in the direction of travel. That would also reduce the dross section and therefore you chance of striking something.

Since the magLev train travels at over 80 mph, there is a second much smaller magLev train system just above the main one, in the diagram. It allows single cars, holding only maybe 40 people at a time to leave the main habitation cars, decelerate until at zero mph {now in zero G} and from there, transfer to landers or to mainenance tasks in pressurized "taxis" or spacesuits.

If tethered, they could climb the tether to 0 g. You could even have 2 counter rotating rings of trains (instead of the water). Twice the living space, and since you do not have the maglev system, the mass would not be that much greater (I think).

Thats really good pyro :hihi: I was just thinking though - that with your design it has a very large cross-sectional surface area in the direction of travel, a circle of diameter 1km, pretty big. Wont this be more suceptible to taking hits from intersteller matter and such, or is it negligible

Good call, JQ.

If The Turtle were to travel at high sub-light velocities, they you would be correct, and the design fails.

For interstellar travel, I am still assuming some sort of FTL, to avoid getting slammed by .9c dust and molecules. And to avoid 12 year one-way trips to the nearest star Proxima Centauri. I can see a multi-month trip, while traveling FTL.

How do we do FTL? I don't care. Here are some ideas:

1. Find "wahoots" that have evolved FTL travel and harness them like a team of horses.

2. Build a meson-ski fusor, that "lifts" the ship one millimeter in the 4th dimension, where the ship is no longer bound by Relativity (NLBBR).

3. Enclose the ship in a Quantum Gravitational Discontinuity (NLBBR).

4. Carry a tiny black hole on board, so that you can zoom by the Sun (or a Jupiter class planet) at high speed and create a temporary worm-hole to your destination star.

5. Discover "tram-lines" that invisibly exist between the fusing cores of stars that are sufficiently close to each other. Traveling a tram-line at FTL involves the invention of the Snortler Electrogravitic Tramhook.

6. Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc... :hyper:

God, I just love intelligent women who laugh at my jokes! Wanna come up to my place and see my starship blueprints???? :hyper:

OK, it is clearly time to change my user name to something more manly :hihi:

Maybe I should have put that in my profile or something :D

God, I just love intelligent women who laugh at my jokes! Wanna come up to my place and see my starship blueprints???? :hihi:

Careful Pyro. You are already spoken for! :hyper:

Great Thread!

Now all we gotta' do is pay for it. Heres where Pyro comes in again! :D

Pyro just invented FTL, whatever.

KAYRA's A GUY?

[the sound of one mind blowing]

Teaching you to avoid assuming things about people you meet on the internet, yeah?

TFS

:hihi:

New Poll!

Is Kayra a Man or Woman?

1. Man

2. Woman

3. Irrelevant

4. Not sure, I think a woman

5. Not sure, I think a man

Vote first, then explain why. :)

Back to the topic,

Both BigDog and Pyro Diagrams look Awesome!

Racoon,

My new nickname for you is going to be "Poll Monkey." :hihi:

Poll monkey? hey, watch it buddy! I resemble that remark. :)

Can Monkeys fly in this spaceship too? I think we need to build an extra room.

How will that fit with the current logistics?

I'm not that big. the size of a Chimp. :hihi:

what happened to the space ship?

I REALLY hope we get back to the starship pretty quick. Anyway, I'm still looking for old material I wrote on The Turtle.

I will say this. My original FTL idea was using the Quantum Gravitational Discontinuity (QGD). That was why the outer hull was there. It was the "gravtenna" that used a standing wave on the outer hull to drive the ship FTL. the hull had to be seamless, that's why the huge ice tank served as a heat sink. Any heat generated by people, or the plasma turbines would collect inside the hull until "breakout" at the end of FTL, when the hull could be opened and release the excess heat.