Science Forums

Biigle Brother

Oh now this scary. The Register is reporting that Google has an internal plan to try to get everyone in the world to store all their data on their servers: your local disk drives just become a "cache" (temporary storage to speed up access to you non-techies).

I almost posted this to Social Sciences, but lets let the civil liberties types who hang out here get worked up about it first... :confused:

Newspeak,

Buffy

I have a GDrive atm - but I only use it to backup a few pictures... it is to slow to be used for general memory storage with my internet connection, but even if it was fast I wouldnt use it for my personal information, as sercure as they say it is, it is just a little wierd..

now how is that post count! (911)

Ooohhh...

Like Microsoft wants to run all apps from their servers, and users get to buy a year's use, or something. So the user pays, downloads a little front-page interface for the app, and Microsoft keeps the actual nuts and bolts of the app on their servers, where they make sure the thing is updated, patched, etc. And at midnight on the night your license expires, you can't use the app no more. And they expect people to fall for this.

Imagine this scenario: Your apps are stored at Microsoft, and your data is stored at Google. So you can access all your apps and all your data from any online pc anywhere in the world...?

Bollocks, I say.

What if my internet connection goes down? Gone apps, gone data.

Bastards. They won't catch me with this - Microsoft's approach is to line Fat Bill's wallet a bit further and to curb piracy. Google wants to offer their service in order to monopolize the data market.

:confused:

Actually the idea of webapps, and we're using one example here, is that of having all the app functionality dependent on the server, accessed through a thin client (your browser). The trouble is that HTTP + HTML + all the rest is a very clumsy way about it, HTTP/HTML were meant for a much more narrow purpose and adapting them has been like stretching an office stationery rubber band to use it as a heavy industrial vehicle tyre.

I don't see anything wrong with Uncle Bill wanting to curb piracy and if you choose to pay to use an app that's on their server, you know it can only be used via internet. Free choice. Buffy's point is scary if they do it without your consent, further to being connected to the net.

Guest chendoh

And now for the National News... tica tica tica tica tica tica tica tica......

In a related story that was reported this past January, of G.W. Bushs ;) request for the Internet search giant Google, to hand over its voluminous database, of search records, and histories :hyper: of its millions of registered Users.:)

The Justice Department:Glasses: has finished its reply to Google's 24page refusal to

comply :Alien: and will announce its decision:rant: on March 13, 2006 :hyper:

See complete details here;

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06052/658469.stm

We'll Be right back, with a long story about a short walk, after a word from our sponsers :dog:

:Crunk::note2:"Only in America" :circle::ebomb::note2:Land of Opportunity":note:;):eight::shade: Trini Lopez

..........chendoh :confused:

The Justice Department:Glasses: has finished its reply to Google's 24page refusal to comply :umno: and will announce its decision:rant: on March 13, 2006 :naughty:
Google unbellyfeels Ingsoc. Google is oldthinker.

On the series finale of Voyager they whiped out the Borg. Janeway used timetravel to bring future technology into the past so that she could undo the death of Seven and several other crew members. They had been killed by the Borg during the crew's 30 year trip back to the Alpha quadrant. It was a fantastic end to an otherwise unspectacular series.

Uhhh... a friend told me all that.

Bill

Pgp :umno:

Remember though, C1ay, that's only "pretty-good" not "really-good" and they'll have much better access to your files in the first place for potential decoding.

I *have* to be an advocate of hosted apps, as 90% of my company's customers use that option: its got some great up sides to it, but the lack of control and security means that we do sell the other 10% unbelievably firewalled systems... OTOH, the real issue is *choice* and if the guvmint keeps insisting on letting companies limit their innovation to creating monopolies and eliminating competition, there won't be any.

"If you don't surrender your disk drives, you're either a traitor or a terrorist! What have you got to hide?" :naughty:

One of the points you guys may have missed here is the copyright issues, in that it makes it much easier to "find" copyright violators, in the name of efficiency: are y'all familiar with how AOL caches *every* image (which they then try to recompress with their own proprietary algorithm that *trashes* many images) that goes into their network (web pages *and* e-mails folks!)?

If civil liberties are outlawed, only outlaws will have civil liberties,

Buffy

Remember though, C1ay, that's only "pretty-good" not "really-good" and they'll have much better access to your files in the first place for potential decoding.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't place open data there, at least do something to slow them down. I do email backups to myself in my GMail account but they are run through PGP first. Then again, my financial backups and the like go on my encrypted microdrive.

I *have* to be an advocate of hosted apps, as 90% of my company's customers use that option: its got some great up sides to it, but the lack of control and security means that we do sell the other 10% unbelievably firewalled systems... OTOH, the real issue is *choice* and if the guvmint keeps insisting on letting companies limit their innovation to creating monopolies and eliminating competition, there won't be any.

I really think that application servers will be the future when the network speed is there to support it. For business I favor the old mainframe/terminal model and today's blade clusters booting from a single image driving dumb clients really makes it possible for administration to get fun again.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't place open data there, at least do something to slow them down.
Amen. Remember though, the Poindexters of this world (the General, not the generic smart folks), want to make encryption completely illegal: they're already classified as munitions, which means if you e-mail a copy of the pgp software to a friend outside the US you're technically guilty of a Federal felony offense....
I really think that application servers will be the future when the network speed is there to support it...
You betcha, but you still need local processors and drives and applications...you remember X-terminals dontcha C1ay? :naughty:

You must be....absorbed,

Buffy