Science Forums

Satan: what is it??

kamil

BTW without organized religion there would be no science as we know it today.

Can I ask, what is the basis for this statement?

Organized religion, while an important part of the historical structure and (dare I say) evolution of society, it did not birth our quest to answer questions and understand... at least, I don't think it did.

It's not my intention to dismiss your statement out of hand, but I do ask that you eloborate a bit on this point.

In your opinion, what is "science as we know it today," and how would it not exist without organized religion?

Like I said: "Satan" is Just a word.

A word like any other made up word.

Why worry about Satan, when you are so interested in God?? :eek2:

Why worry about Hypothetical Satan, IF you are so full of Love for Jesus and Life!?? :) At that point, Satan means nothing, and you become Everything.

Besides I thought it was Beelzebub, or however you spell his name..

Try a psychiatric evaluation and medication if you still can't figure it out.

In the Old Testament Satan was God's left hand man. In the book of Job, God (Father) allows Satan to manipulate him, to prove to Satan, that Job would still be faithful even if he was given the crap end of the stick. After that God (Father) and Satan had a parting of the ways, with Satan having limited influence over God (Father). However, Satan is not thrown from heaven until Revelations, implying that he was still in heaven when Christ was living as a man on earth, since revelations was written many decades after the death and resurrection of Christ.

• 1 month later...

A topic about Satan...cool. This was once my favourite subject.

I was raised to believe that Satan was the son of God. His second son, Jesus(or whatever his heavenly name was) being his first.

My parents religion preached that God created everything, it said it in their bible. It also said that no evil came from God. Which I thought was a beautiful contradiction( One which they refused to explain, and would often flatout refuse to discuss). Their religion also preached that God gave everyone Free Will. If you break free will down to it's simplest form and moral absolute, it can be called a choice between good and evil.

Satan become evil because he was Jealous of Gods power(again where this evil jealousy came from they would not even attempt to explain).

Satan said to god that man would not serve him, but instead serve himself. So, instead of destroying this wicked creature God decided he'd prove him wrong..(that big kid..grow up doood!)

You know what? I'm actually becomming bored just writing this..I'll think I'll get back to reading the "What is time?" thread.

To sum up..Satans the big evol, and he's gonna getcha..Run for your lives!!!

Satan become evil because he was Jealous of Gods power(again where this evil jealousy came from they would not even attempt to explain).

Ask yourself this simple question: Would darkness exist if there were no light?

God did not have to create evil because like darkness, it will exist without any help from God. Evil will have an impact on man's existence very similiar to darkness, because without light, man can not see. Without God's grace, man will die..................Infy

God did not have to create evil because like darkness, it will exist without any help from God. Evil will have an impact on man's existence very similiar to darkness, because without light, man can not see. Without God's grace, man will die..................Infy

Maybe I misunderstand. Darkness=absence of light. I see you are making an analogy,and could be taking the question to literally by rephrazing it as:Would the absence of light exist if there were no light? To which I would respond with an emphatic yes.If I'm missing your point I apologize.

Maybe I misunderstand. Darkness=absence of light.
I think you missed the point Edella. Some people seem to want to blame God for the evil in this world. The point is this; You can't blame light for the darkness that comes when light is no longer present. Likewise, you can't blame God for the evil that comes when people refuse to accept God's presence...........Infy

I simply don't accept that reasoning.

1: There is a passage in the bible that states. God created ALL things.

2: If he created light he had to create opposing darkness. Your reasoning is flawed, because you are looking at it through the rules of the universe that we are subject to. God isn't. It's his game, we merely play it.

If God created the universe, its HIS(or her, or its) universe, HIS rules.

I think you missed the point Edella. Some people seem to want to blame God for the evil in this world. The point is this; You can't blame light for the darkness that comes when light is no longer present. Likewise, you can't blame God for the evil that comes when people refuse to accept God's presence...........Infy

It just seems that evil is so much more than a lack of God's presence in people's lives(or refusal to accept that presence).There are other aspects of evil that the darkness - evil comparison doesn't address:Childhood diseases,natural disasters etc.Surely not all evil stems from disbelief.

I'm probably missing some of your points(again!),but what of the evil that comes when peopledon'trefuse to accept God's presence?

If you've heard this all before and are sick of it, feel free to disregard...;)

Ed

There are other aspects of evil that the darkness - evil comparison doesn't address:Childhood diseases,natural disasters etc.Surly not all evil stems from disbelief.

Evil and misfortune are really two different things Edella. Scripture says: "It rains on the just and the unjust". Point being that; misfortune befalls everyone, not just those who deny Gods authority. Childhood diseases, natural disasters etc. along with anything else one could define as misfortune are simply unlucky events in our lives. Evil is something else entirely. The commission of crimes, murder, theft, slander, those acts which cause loss or pain to either another individual or society in general........Infy

Adversity breeds strength. Bodybuilders don't get big at the Country Club, fat guys do.

This evil system is a decaying example of the rejection of God's will so as to permanently silence all God's critics, both earthly beings and heavenly. But the promise is for a new life and a new world for the penitent.

BTW, I agree Infy. Misfortune is external, evil is within. Action and reaction.

Adversity breeds strength

I fail to see how a starving woman in Ethiopia watching her child die can breed strength.I fail to see how a child born with severe mental retardation can gain strength from her condition,much less understand it.

This evil system is a decaying example of the rejection of God's will

Which evil system?

Honestly curious

Ed

I fail to see how a starving woman in Ethiopia watching her child die can breed strength.I fail to see how a child born with severe mental retardation can gain strength from her condition,much less understand it.

Yeah, me too. I speak from my experiences. I'm grateful for my past addictions, breakdown, remedial jobs, rocky marriage, because I'm deeply proud of myself for pulling through. And I'm a more content and focused person hence. The fact that I could still be the way I was 10 years ago is just an ugly thought.

As for your examples, they definitely qualify as exceptions. I believe the caveat is stated 'that which doesn't kill me...'

Which evil system?

Honestly curious

Ed

Us man. We fight, gossip, steal, kill, etc. The whole world is tearing at itself. It's the opposite of harmony. A glimpse at the governments of the world and the power struggles and dishonesty between and within them is just a natural manifestation of the inner workings of the people of which they comprise. The collectives are a reflection of the individuals. Evil is within.