Science Forums

Satan: what is it??

kamil

Satan,The Devil, Beelzebub, Lucifer, Mephistopheles,The Prince of Darkness,whatever you want to call him,seems to mean different things to different people.He is the embodiment of all that is wrong with world to some,a little guy on your shoulder who tempts you or complete B.S. to others.He has even become a cute little "smilie"character in a little box next to me as I post.:hihi:

In North America,one would be hard pressed to find two people in complete agreement on the nature of Satan.http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_sat1.htm

Maybe this should have been multiple choice.

The thread is Satan; what is it? He is a personification of evil. Yet humans are the ones who do the evil. From this, one may conclude that Satan is something inside humans which cause us to do evil. The bible says Satan first induction in the humam mind was connected to original sin. This is eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Knowledge of good and evil is moral and social law. These set up a polarization within. The evil memories consoldate as do the good memories, each can take on a life of their own, creating unconscious compulsion toward good or evil.

I have read the account of the Garden of Eden well over a hundred times. I would have to say that I don't see the Bible as saying that Satan was

a personification of evil
something inside humans which cause us to do evil
bible says Satan first induction in the humam mind was connected to original sin
a polarization within
evil memories
or
unconscious compulsion toward good or evil

In fact, no where in the Bible will you find Satan described as something other than a being/creature of angelic origins. Please someone find a scripture that proves me wrong.

As for the beliefs that have been posted above relating to these ideas, they came from men who were attempting to attribute belief in an evil spiritual creature as Satan or a demon to natural phenomena, or possibly trying to mix religious beliefs between eastern Asian and Mediteranean religions with Christian religions to form a philosophical standpoint on the reason why suffering exists.

I think you'll find Satan in the Kabbalah as a member of a class of entities called qliphoth, these are distinct from angels.

from http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/tku/index.htm

THE KABBALAH UNVEILED

Containing the following Books of the Zohar

The Book of Concealed Mystery

The Greater Holy Assembly

The Lesser Holy Assembly

S. L. MACGREGOR MATHERS, translator

from http://www.kheper.net/topics/Kabbalah/SeferZohar.htm

The Sefer Zohar or "Book of Splendour" is supposed to be the most authoritative Kabbalistic work, but this massive series of books is so obscure and symbolic as to be practically incomprehensible. Although traditionally said to date back to the first century C.E., in its present form the Zohar is most likely of 13th Century Spanish vintage, compiled by the Kabbalistic writer Moses de Leon (c.1240-1305) from a combination of his own ideas and contemporary Kabbalistic elements [Gershom Scholem, Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism, chapter 5].

Were you trying to say that the Kabbalah text is a part of Biblical writings, or just that there is some book out there that is considered religious text that contains a the belief that God created both good and bad angels?

Notice above that "in its present form the Zohar is most likely of 13th Century Spanish vintage, compiled by the Kabbalistic writer Moses de Leon (c.1240-1305) from a combination of his own ideas and contemporary Kabbalistic elements"

Sounds like philosophy not religion to me. See http://hypography.com/forums/theology-forum/4266-religion-vs-philosophy.html

I think you'll find Satan in the Kabbalah as a member of a class of entities called qliphoth, these are distinct from angels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ughaibu

from http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/tku/index.htm

THE KABBALAH UNVEILED

Containing the following Books of the Zohar

The Book of Concealed Mystery

The Greater Holy Assembly

The Lesser Holy Assembly

S. L. MACGREGOR MATHERS, translator

from http://www.kheper.net/topics/Kabbalah/SeferZohar.htm

The Sefer Zohar or "Book of Splendour" is supposed to be the most authoritative Kabbalistic work, but this massive series of books is so obscure and symbolic as to be practically incomprehensible. Although traditionally said to date back to the first century C.E., in its present form the Zohar is most likely of 13th Century Spanish vintage, compiled by the Kabbalistic writer Moses de Leon (c.1240-1305) from a combination of his own ideas and contemporary Kabbalistic elements [Gershom Scholem, Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism, chapter 5].

Were you trying to say that the Kabbalah text is a part of Biblical writings, or just that there is some book out there that is considered religious text that contains a the belief that God created both good and bad angels?

Notice above that "in its present form the Zohar is most likely of 13th Century Spanish vintage, compiled by the Kabbalistic writer Moses de Leon (c.1240-1305) from a combination of his own ideas and contemporary Kabbalistic elements"

Sounds like philosophy not religion to me. See http://hypography.com/forums/theolog...hilosophy.html

You asked for a scripture describing Satan as other than of angelic origin.

Yes, so where is the scripture? You gave a description of what someone said, not a citation. Do you have a citation of a scripture?

It would look something like Matthew 5:9. If it is not in the cannonized Bible please state the source of the material.

Ok, what did I miss. Where in all of that did you cite something? You specifically mentioned the Kaballah, but not a book. Kaballah is a mystic sect of Judaism, not a book.

It is a simple request. Don't cite others ideas. Cite an original religious text that states who or what Satan is so we can further discuss this thread.

• 5 months later...

All are wrong. God tests us to see who will go to his kingdom are not think about it if we knew everything we wouldn't know the meaning of life. Think about Original Justice. I wonder if you guys are Catholic, sometimes. Only thing I know is that Apocalypse is coming very soon. My opinion: The only person you guys should be talking about is George W. Bush, he is to me the antichrist. He has already killed innocent people and about to start wars. In the Bible, it tells us their will be galatic showdown between Jesus vs. the Antichrist.

In the Bible, it tells us their will be galatic showdown between Jesus vs. the Antichrist.

Does the bible tell us where I can buy tickets and how much they'll be? Will it be available on pay-per-view?

Our myths and stories are so fun, and take such advantage of our evolved tendencies... It's okay to enjoy a good story, just don't let the story-teller become your new leader... lead yourself.

All are wrong. God tests us to see who will go to his kingdom are not think about it if we knew everything we wouldn't know the meaning of life. Think about Original Justice. I wonder if you guys are Catholic, sometimes. Only thing I know is that Apocalypse is coming very soon. My opinion: The only person you guys should be talking about is George W. Bush, he is to me the antichrist. He has already killed innocent people and about to start wars. In the Bible, it tells us their will be galatic showdown between Jesus vs. the Antichrist.

God knows what's in your heart, he doesn't test you...except that one time with Abraham.

In fact, no where in the Bible will you find Satan described as something other than a being/creature of angelic origins. Please someone find a scripture that proves me wrong.

Sigh...

No evil comes from God.

God created everything.

There is no way, given this scripture reasoning, that Satan can make a transition from 'good' to 'evil'.

If god created everything, then Satan created nothing. If no evil comes from god, then it doesn't exist.

Rinse and repeat.