Science Forums

What is autism (where's my spelling checker)

goku

i have a cusin that is autistic.

does anyone hear know about autism?

i hear tell of an exspiramental cure, has anyone else?

do people with this decease exist in a separate reallity? mentally i mean.

what is your facts or thoughts on this?

Spelling... so... bad... :rant:

Autism is a disorder, not a disease. I'll check back for what the symptoms are tomorrow if nobody has by then :eek:.

Okay, you provoked me to enlighten you early :rant:.

A psychiatric disorder of childhood characterized by marked deficits in communication and social interaction, preoccupation with fantasy, language impairment, and abnormal behavior, such as repetitive acts and excessive attachment to certain objects. It is usually associated with intellectual impairment.

I have a cousin that is autistic.

does anyone here know about autism?

I hear tell of an experimental cure, has anyone else?

do people with this disease (but it's a disorder) exist in a separate reality? mentally I mean.

what is your facts or thoughts on this?

Only corrected spelling, not grammar :rant:.

by some definitions an autistic person is one who is unable to communicate well with "normal" human beings

a person who is autistic generally is extremely introverted, can have fixations on certain things, trains, toys, stories, etc.

autistic children sometimes express artistic gifts, and gifts of other sorts, mainly the gift of focus. where they can focus their limitless attention on only one thing.

i also have a cousin who was clinically labelled autistic.

i sometimes think i may be autistic. but i think erasmus hit the nail, i could suffer from aspergers. with a strict abhoration for close personal contact. which i've grown out of, but it was pretty severe, to the point where the term hypochondriac was thrown around. (much to my amusement)

one of the things they say about those kinds of people is that they are able to conjure up and live in vibrant fantasy worlds which normal people would have trouble grasping even when the autistic person attempts to explain the very deep and intricate inner worlds they create.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

depending on how severe the lack of social adjustment the autistic person has, they may be able to be trained to live in society and care for themselves. it seems that although on of the staple labels attributed to the autistic person, helpless, may not be applicable to all who are forced to wear the hat. some people who exhibit signs of being autistic may well be able to care for themselves and families of their own.

it may not be a disease but apparently it is "curable" or "reversable". as if it is a stage in development most people grow out of but these people seem to be stuck in until they are awakened into full adulthood.

Autism is a mind that is turned in upon itself. Being asocial it is dysfunctional in society and not survivable in the world at large barring external support. Autists are consumed by thought and tortured by external input. The standard reaction is to hit it with a 2x4, repeatedy, to make it behave within others' expectations - like making a left-handed person write with its right hand.

Thalidomide babies with phocomelia won't become sports stars no matter what. No acute or chronic monetary expenditure, no amount of tme, no battalion of the|rapists, no drugging will change that. If you have phocomelia you do other things, tihings at which you can succeed with rational expectation.

Autism is often accompanied by one or more eldritch talents at the desirable extremes of human capability. Support them for what they are, allowing them to bloom like exotic flowers, and stop torturing them for what they can never be. A society that does not hesitate to dump $millions on a worthless super-premature baby to obtain a 70 IQ adult will not lend support to its most brilliant (if eccentric) minds. That is called compassion. Evolution evinces a remarkable enthusiasm for crushing the compassionate.

i haven't ever heard about a baptist beating, not my kind of baptists.

the experimental cure that i mentioned:

if the child becomes ill with a rare stomic virus, a certian medicine is given then the kid wakes up.

the doctors said my cousin would never walk, when she was born, she did learn to walk and is now over 16 yrs. old.

she is very dependant upon her family, who loves her and cares for her extremly well.

you can see her mother or father holding onto her during church, if they let her go she runs.

i don't think she has ever been sick.

she eats like a horse, but she's skinny.

• 7 months later...

Has anybody seen the special "Brainman?" It's pretty interesting. He has autistic tendencies, but also some synesthesia, yet he's capable of communicating socially, a task with which most effected by the disorder struggle.

Autism is often categorized as a disorder by which the individual cannot tune out the stimuli of the world. It's a terrifying and overwhelming, as well as constant, surge of incoming data. They struggle to block out the the less necessary things.

"Yeah... gotta go to K-mart. Buy underwear. Yeah." I love that movie, but it is based on a true story... the character whom Dustin Hoffman shadowed to learn the role was also featured on the Brainman special...

Anyway, some folks at work a few feet away from me were discussing it and I realized that I'd enjoy hearing what anyone here has to offer about it too.

Cheers. :hihi:

I too have a cousin with the autistic disorder.

Lots of people believe autistic kids to be less intelligent than "normal" humans. But my cousin is incredibly intelligent, from what I can tell. Not in any "normal" sense of the word. But he seems to be pretty sharp when it comes to creativity and imagination.

I'm convinced that I am partially autistic. It would definately explain the social problems that I've had my entire life.:hihi:

Lots of people believe autistic kids to be less intelligent than "normal" humans.
Though intelligence testing of autistic kids can be challenging, due to the language difficulties and peculiarities, the clinical consensus is that about 80% of autistics can be termed mentally retarded – intelligence 2 or more standard deviations below normal. 20% of autistics have normal or higher intelligence.
I'm convinced that I am partially autistic. It would definately explain the social problems that I've had my entire life.:eek2:
Autism-like traits are fairly common, expecially among science enthusiasts. Often, “high-functioning autistics” are diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome. The relationship of Asperger’s to Autism is the subject of considerable debate and controversy.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Autism is simply a lack of communication skills whether it be social, verbal, or spacial.

Also there are many forms of autism.

There is Autistic Disorder and then there's asperger's, PDD, and Rett's disorder, I am sure there are more but them are the only 4 I know of.

With Aspergers it is an extremely small lack of social skills, so much so that one is hard to dertermine whether they have aperger's or if they are just one who keeps to him/herself.

Autism is simply a lack of communication skills whether it be social, verbal, or spacial.

Well, that is a bit of an understatement. Autism is much more complex a phenomenon than just social phobia or inability. The autist, besides having limitations in their social skills, tend to have extreme difficulty filtering out the stimuli of the world around them. Everything around them is very loud and noisy, but they cannot tune it out...

Even my comment is an over-simplification, however, it adds somewhat to the extremely basic comment made above.

The worst type of leader is the misleader. (I may have to use that again) :(