Science Forums

Evolution: Religion or Science?

Erasmus00

No, I think the questions get asked to a random sampling of Norwegians. I seem to recall Tormod saying something about this before.

And thank you, MortenS, for providing that info. I hope that others have similar data to post from their countries as well.

I found an article about creation views around the world that cite some statistics, mainly from US. No poll results from Europe or the middle east. If the debate had been raging in Europe, I am sure we would have seen more polls on the subject.

http://www.recipeland.com/encyclopaedia/index.php/Creationism

I found you try find a really importnat way to stabilise the existing Universe, include the population on the earth.

I think first we have to decide the point, where we try to look at the existing Universe.

My opinion will be: look at this as one really old existing, and independent system, and probably the important question will be, becouse this is extramelly flexible, where we want to go with.....

So I think if we have the right view, we are free to set up any kind of working modell, and we are able to proof it....

Interesting assessment Will, but I don't think the "Indo-European" root would be quite as relevant as the Old English derivative that was common at the time of translation in the 17th Century. The "Indo-Europeans" did not write the King James Bible.

Old English wasn't spoken in 17th century England. What they spoke was closer to modern English then middle or old english. The latin root you quotted "esse" can be traced further back to the Indo-European root es (the root I was talking about). Indo-European is the mother language from which latin (and many others) derives. So, in a sense, you could say the bible was written by "Indo-Europeans." While the esse root you quote from latin is interesting, I would point out that English is not a romance language, and that the same root es, probably passed directly into Old English as something like synne, independant from Latin.

I don't know any greek, but I will take your word for it that the greek word hamartia means to miss the mark. However, the English word sin that is used to translate it isn't a literal, but more of an "in the spirit of" translation.

I guess you're right (HAHA) since IE is a broad classification of linguistics. Latin and Greek certainly fall under that heading.

The interpretation of a word that means "to be" into a word that means "guilt" sounds like Gnosticism, which pre-dates Christianity. Every religion has problems with people trying to distort it. Evidence of a universally "sinful" nature, perhaps?

Such changes happen slowly over time and certainly won't be the result of one religious movement. Notice that the original old root es (from the Indo-European "mother" language) became both "is" (to be) and "sin" in English.

-Will

I hate to change my point but... Regardless of the "sin"s meaning in English, the Gnostics would be suspect as influencing it's use for the Greek word harmatia. The Gnostics are called that for a reason, because they are not Christian, though they claim to be. They are generally excluded from formal Christianity for the exact reason that you made this comment.

"Its particularly interesting to me, because the notion that man is inherently evil is apparently not a new one, in that "to be" or to exist became wrapped up in transgressing religion."

For once the Christians agree with you, Will.

evolution is satanic

if you beleave in evolution and say you know right from wrong you are a hypocrit.

do any animals know right from wrong, no.

is natural selection present in humans, no. if you say yes, when you start having a hart-attack don't seek help, that would be un-natural.

the jews crusified jesus and said let the blame be upon us and our children, and our children's children. hitler, how was an evolutionist i think, came along and tortoured thousands and thousands to death. prof there is a god. notice that all you can see through a telescope is lights. god did say that he put lights in the heavens to give light upon the earth. wait before you even, if it was not light you could not see it.

evolution is satanic

I'm a Christain goku, and I believe the science behind the theory of evolution, does that make me satanic.................I think not.

You see, I also believe that God created all things, via the Big Bang. Does that make me a worshiper of satan.................I think not.

After the Big Bang that God created, he was instrumental in manipulating evolution in the effort to create mankind. Does that make me evil.............I think not.

Be very careful what you call satanic, you may be stepping on faithful toes.

evolution is satanic

if you beleave in evolution and say you know right from wrong you are a hypocrit.

do any animals know right from wrong, no.

is natural selection present in humans, no. if you say yes, when you start having a hart-attack don't seek help, that would be un-natural.

the jews crusified jesus and said let the blame be upon us and our children, and our children's children. hitler, how was an evolutionist i think, came along and tortoured thousands and thousands to death. prof there is a god. notice that all you can see through a telescope is lights. god did say that he put lights in the heavens to give light upon the earth. wait before you even, if it was not light you could not see it.

HECTIC!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!

Oh hell, I needed that!

Who initially created chess ? = god

Who initially played chess ? = man

Who initially challanged a chess game ? = man and god

Let's compute genome sequence all evolution species on Earth, we're in hurry to challenge His steps !!

What a good/god game !!! Hurry up..........space time are still available.........the End is still far away....................... :)

I'm a Christain goku, and I believe the science behind the theory of evolution, does that make me satanic.................I think not.

the science of exspiramenting and so on, i believe also. evolution is an idea that scientists came up with from bad conculsions of scientific exspiraments, personal opinyuns (crap! why can't words be spelled the way they sound) creep in too easily.

You see, I also believe that God created all things, via the Big Bang. Does that make me a worshiper of satan.................I think not.

maybe it was a bang, when god spoke. sound is a form of energy, therefor god speaking was a massive release of energy. he rested on the seventh day, or you could say he stopped releasing energy.

After the Big Bang that God created, he was instrumental in manipulating evolution in the effort to create mankind. Does that make me evil.............I think not.

my bible says god created man, in his own image, from clay that he molded then breathed life into.

gess i didn't use the quote thingy right. BARNICLES FISHPASTE TARTERSAUCE

evolution is not a religion because it does nothing good for sociatey.

evolution is not a science because it isn't scientifically possible.

when i say evolution i mean going from nothing to man.

adaptation has been poisoned by evolution.

"if you tell a lie loud enough, and long enough the people will believe it" HITLER

The official stand of the church (Christian/Catholic, at least) is that humans did not evolve from animals, they were created separately. The church might accept evolution as a general theory of other life evolving on Earth, but they draw the line when it comes to humans - which is more illogical than dismissing the theory altogether.

This may sound oxymoronic, but the Catholic faith is almost pagan. It has been mixed so many times with pagan religions by trying to blend in that half of the things (rituals, if you may) that they do come from pagan religions or other ones. i.e. there is one thing that they do where they crawl on their stomachs a few miles to the church as an extremist act of faith. That comes from buddhism. They do the same thing as an act of their "faith". All of the protestant religions exist because they didn't want a part of the Catholic faith. I am a seventh day adventist and I'm saying this only so that others won't confuse the Catholics with all Christians.

This may sound oxymoronic, but the Catholic faith is almost pagan. It has been mixed so many times with pagan religions by trying to blend in that half of the things (rituals, if you may) that they do come from pagan religions or other ones.
You may wish to comment on the 3468 thread: sounds like you have some problems with Catholics. How do you reconcile that with your faith? Comment over in the other thread...

Cheers,

Buffy

Does your bible mention who created God?

God is the creator. God was always there. The human mind can not comprehend how. Perhaps Adam and Eve could, but that is because they used 100% of their mind. The average person today only uses 4%. Fact.

You may wish to comment on the 3468 thread: sounds like you have some problems with Catholics. How do you reconcile that with your faith? Comment over in the other thread...

I appoligize if I sounded like I have a problem with Catholics, but I don't. I am just saying that some of the things they do are against the bible. And the way I believe, the bible's law is more sacred than that of the pope's. Human's can not declare themselves divine biengs or that their word is greater than that of God's. That is bordering on blasphemy.

I appoligize if I sounded like I have a problem with Catholics, but I don't. I am just saying that some of the things they do are against the bible. And the way I believe, the bible's law is more sacred than that of the pope's. Human's can not declare themselves divine biengs or that their word is greater than that of God's. That is bordering on blasphemy.
I know. Think about this quote and then go take a look at that thread...I think you'll have something useful to contribute there.

Cheers,

Buffy

I appoligize if I sounded like I have a problem with Catholics, but I don't. I am just saying that some of the things they do are against the bible.

I know. Think about this quote and then go take a look at that thread...I think you'll have something useful to contribute there.

Cheers,

Buffy

Oh yeah, please do. I'd love to elaborate on that issue...

I don't mean to ignore anyone, but I've been thinking about this topic. Evolution (common descent) does not claim to explain either the origin of life (abiogenesis, comets, creation) or the required mechanisms (mutations, genetic drift) for change, nor should it be expected to. Gravity is well known while the exact how's and why's are not.

Same with the Big Bang/Inflation. Neither claim to know the origin of matter and energy, only that all their paths had the same origin (common descent LOL). So the objective scientific theories proposed for scrutiny do not inherently negate the existence of a god. It is the assumption made by anyone (subjectively) that because both these theories (among others) conflict with ancient Hebrew/Greek manuscripts, that the existence of a god has been ruled out.

This is not reasonable, and the assumption that there is no god is just as much unscientific as the assumption that there is. People should realize that science belongs in the realm of causality while allowing for such possibilities outside of verifiable science. Furthermore, it should be more widely known and appreciated that the ridicule of those who believe in something that hasn't been "universally approved by peer review" only stammers the channels of the communication of new ideas, and impedes any potential agreements between differing schools of thought.